PDA

View Full Version : My Blog?

dream128
01-22-2006, 05:56 PM
This is the issue I am up against…my blog. Maybe I don’t have a clear understanding of this. After almost 30 years of developing my art I finely…………..finely decided to look seriously at this as a career. In my mind the way I see a blog is a narrative of my relationship with my work. I am beginning to see that there is more to this definition. The problem before me is that I have yet to obtain any accreditations that I can present. All I have to present is my work and there is some legal and ethical issues here to even present my work due to some of the reference material I use is copyrighted. From the information I have obtained from other members I think I will refrain from even presenting them on this site.

Ok getting away from what I wanted to talk about. My blog. I am in the process of writing this narrative. This will be my spring board that I plan to rap my work and career around. I want to design a web site. I don’t have much to present there but I can’t let that deter me. In time I will fill my gallery.

I need to compose a well written narrative. I mission statement if you will from the heart and from that my career will build. I guess I am looking for thoughts and ideas on putting this together. In my writing I feel that I tend to go off into left field and I don’t want to push something out to make the reader think; what the hell is he talking about?

Like I feel I am doing here so I will stop and leave it at that. I plan to present this in many of the forums here to try and get as many responses as I can so you may see this thread a few times as you walk around this site.

Thanks

Rick

Elvira
01-22-2006, 06:34 PM
I'm not certian about what you wish us to tell you, but didn't want to to feel you are being ignored. The only suggestion would be if possible get permission to use the work you used refernces that were copywrited from the coywrite authors where possible. And for some all that may be needed is an acknowledgement of the origns of the reference, it mainly depends on how close to the orignal your images are.
Edie

justjean
01-22-2006, 07:52 PM
Hi Rick

Don't know a thing about them but good luck on your blog :)

jhercilia
01-22-2006, 08:13 PM
Well, as for myself, I do get permission on everything I post in my website and blog and if I wish to post a reference picture. If it's a commission, I do get written permission from them to post my painting in my website. It's a good habit to write in your contract (for commissioned work) that they must understand that you can use your painting as a promotional for your website or other promotional ventures as you see fit. Once they agree and sign, you won't have to worry about it. Another thing I always do, it to send everything to the Copyright office and get a number. I do this for pieces that are for sale.

Regarding blogs, I use it exclusively for my painting ventures. I don't really add any personal information if it is not directly related to my artistic career. I am very private with my life. I have seen many blogs where people add too much personal information and after a while, I think it gets boring.

Regarding your mission statement, just be honest. You don't need to have impressive background for people to take your work seriously. Just build your website with your works, even parctice work if they are good. This will give anyone an idea of your style. If they like it, they will hire your for commisioned work regardless of your extensive or lack of background.

I hope I had answered at leat a few of your concerns.

Jin
01-23-2006, 02:51 AM
This is the issue I am up against…my blog. Maybe I don’t have a clear understanding of this. After almost 30 years of developing my art I finely…………..finely decided to look seriously at this as a career. In my mind the way I see a blog is a narrative of my relationship with my work. I am beginning to see that there is more to this definition. The problem before me is that I have yet to obtain any accreditations that I can present. All I have to present is my work and there is some legal and ethical issues here to even present my work due to some of the reference material I use is copyrighted. From the information I have obtained from other members I think I will refrain from even presenting them on this site.

Ok getting away from what I wanted to talk about. My blog. I am in the process of writing this narrative. This will be my spring board that I plan to rap my work and career around. I want to design a web site. I don’t have much to present there but I can’t let that deter me. In time I will fill my gallery.

I need to compose a well written narrative. I mission statement if you will from the heart and from that my career will build. I guess I am looking for thoughts and ideas on putting this together. In my writing I feel that I tend to go off into left field and I don’t want to push something out to make the reader think; what the hell is he talking about?

Like I feel I am doing here so I will stop and leave it at that. I plan to present this in many of the forums here to try and get as many responses as I can so you may see this thread a few times as you walk around this site.

Thanks

Rick

Rick,

Some things I see a lot on websites/blogs that would otherwise be fairly impressive are.....

glaring errors in spelling and grammar :eek:

They can immediately deflate the impression one has of the artist/author/blog owner/website owner from positive :cool: to doubtful :confused: or worse :D .

While the writer may be good with words and ideas and his/her art may be promising, misspelled words and incorrect grammar can make him/her look like an inexperienced amateur, lacking in confidence, and sometimes even full of baloney.

It's the same effect a badly designed web page can have.

Even for something as relatively simple as spelling, don't count on a spell checker to catch everything.

If a word is misspelled but still forms a legitimate word, the spell checker won't see it as a mistake.

Examples:

pare - pear

the - thee

of - off

... and some that caught my eye in your post:

finely - finally (".... finely decided to look seriously at this as a career." should have been "..... finally decided to look seriously at this as a career.")

rap - wrap ("...... rap my work and career around." should have been "....wrap my work and career around." )

Definitely find a friend who is able to correct grammatical mistakes to proof and edit your text before publishing it. Even hire someone to do this for you. It'll be worth the cost in the long run.

By the way, the problem you have is not that your reference material is copyrighted. All work is copyrighted the moment it's created. The problem is either:

You are not the copyright holder (you did not create the reference material).
You did not obtain prior written permission from the copyright holder, to use it in specific ways.
The reference material is not in public domain.

Your ability to use words and communicate your thoughts is fine. In fact, I enjoyed reading your post very much.

All you need is a little help from someone who can check your spelling and grammar so your thoughts are the prime focus, not the errors, and you come off looking like the talented and confident artist you are.

Best wishes for a successful mission statement, interesting blog, and a wonderful career in art! :)

(Let's hope I didn't include any of my own spelling and grammar errors in this post.) :D

Sincerely,

barryt
01-23-2006, 06:06 AM
Hi Rick. I'm uncertain as to whether you are ceating a blog or a web site. A blog had built in archival instructions, which can make it unsuitable for a ite dispalying art. You can put a blog onto your 'gallery' but they should probably be separate. A mission statement on your gallery site is a different matter.