GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Apple
Year Created: 2006
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 190mm x 360mm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is my first still life. I'm just a beginner trying to perfect the craft...any suggestions as to where to go from here would be great!! Also, let me know if there is anything missing

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I had a difficult time capturing the roundness and texture of the apple. Is there a certain brush stroke that can help with this?

Constellation
01-22-2006, 05:49 PM
Hi Warszawa.... That is a very nice looking apple! I don't work in acrylic but I think your shadow is too black, it should be a darker shade of the table rather than black..... and the green spot is well placed but could have been blended in a little more. To me your highlights and shading are very good but the light source seems to be coming from center front and your shadow is right front.... for the shadow to be where it is the light should be coming from the left back of the apple. A little more attention to light source will help. Keep up the good work... that's really a nice looking apple! Donna

Corby
01-22-2006, 11:11 PM
Warszawa! Donna says it all and says it nicely about the quality of your work. One thing that in my estimation will make a 100% improvement is what you are painting on. I am using these small canvas boards myself currently, but they are far from desirable. They are not adaquately gessoed. So if you paint thinly you plainly see the weave of the canvas, and it intrudes on your work. I cannot re-gesso them so I make a point of putting body color down in a layer thick enough to cover the weave. You can then actually see my brushwork and the saturation of color on top. Without doing this it is hard to get shading and texture. The weave is always in the way!

Kent
01-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Warszawa,

I'll second (or third) the comments by Constellation and Corvus. You have a good start here; you can improve it with a thicker application of paint. It looks like you're doing a good job of following the contours of the apple with your brushstrokes.

Cheers,
Kent

Denisey
01-24-2006, 02:54 AM
I personally like the brush stroke.
The big green area might be blended to be more soft...just an idea

otherwise i think it's great.