MY COMMENTS:
7 yr. old

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Does he look young enough?

are his shoulders believable?

is the water wet??

Lobster Alla Prima
01-22-2006, 02:38 PM
I'm new and don't feel very qualified to critique anything, however, I think this is terrific. Yes to all your questions - the child's age, shoulders, and water all look great to me. Did you work from photo, model, or imagination?

Constellation
01-22-2006, 02:44 PM
Thank You Lobster Alla Prima... (what a handle!) I worked from a snapshot that had been sent over the internet... not always the clearest! You are just as qualified as anyone to express your opinion... LOL...especially when I like it! Donna

Aludien
01-22-2006, 05:08 PM
the text on his floating...devices (lol) throws the attention off the interesting stuff going on in his face.. it sticks out, even more so than the water. I adore the realism you got in his face.

Good work on a phot reference painting! (they do tend to be a bit stiff).
I'm both inexperienced and young, but I take the right to comment anyway ;) :D Hope it's okay.

Constellation
01-22-2006, 05:39 PM
Hi Nathalie..... It's more than alright that you comment! I appreciate it very much and you are right about the text on those arm things..... guess I'd better name this "Surf Dude"! I'm sure he'd be disappointed if I took out that script but I'm wondering if I should soften it a bit. Thank you very much for your comment, I'm giving it some serious thought... I've enjoyed your art ever so much, how lovely to be young! ;).....Donna

Corby
01-22-2006, 11:30 PM
Hi Donna! I like this, I think it is marvelous that you got such a sense of eyes behind the glasses! Neat! I do think the water needs currents of greater contrasts of related color, and then really hit with some sparklers for highlights. It is a tad bland. Take that foot for an example. It has some soft white spots to it. That is fine. Now hit those soft spots with a pure white highlight, sort of like putting a highlight in an eye...and see what happens! Follow through where indicated in the rest of your painting, adjusting the size and shape of the highlight to the item it is put on. ( adjust color as well)

Constellation
01-23-2006, 09:52 AM
Thanks Corby... I was hoping you'd show up and discuss that water with me! Actually this is the first time I've ever done this much water so I've been feeling my way with it very tentatively. Knowing this child and what a "wimp" he is (if he got water on his face the board would be the only thing left in the painting!) I'll have to be careful about splashes... ;)....but I know the water is lifeless... Thanks for bringing this up... I'll see what I can do. Donna

Dantys
01-23-2006, 11:00 AM
very nice, soft rendition -- agree with Corvus Korax's general idea. The water has a great range of color, would love to see it worked up a tiny bit. (just a tiny bit - it's working already) Really like the way he has grabbed onto the board.

Spyderbabe
01-23-2006, 05:47 PM
Love that proud/scared/happy expression. The swimming pool blue looks good to me.And the Surf Dude looks good in his shades.

Constellation
01-23-2006, 09:14 PM
Thanks Kathleen..... I still haven't done anything to the water... had too many errands to do today! Surf Dude he is!.... LOL... Donna