PDA

View Full Version : "Old Glory"

Bentley
01-22-2006, 01:14 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-22-2006/64028_oldglorywc2.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: "Old Glory"
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Mixed-Media
Surface: Board
Dimension: 48
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I call this style that I've fallen into- 2 dimensional sculpting. I guess, coming from a construction background, I've always BUILT things- from movie sets to furniture.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
The "rust" spots that I have in the lower left were almost an afterthought. I thought they balanced out the overall picture but, do I do this so sese is balanced or does your eye go too many places-with no one specific "draw" into the picture. What should be the goal- balance or "draw"?

T Christensen
01-22-2006, 02:00 PM
I think the white paint is too strong..I like the small pieces to the right, maybe if you broke the large piece by showing rust spots and had the rust bleed into the paint.....Fabulous rendering , very real textures. There is a watercolorist that does fab rust and textured walls here, check out this thread http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320838 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320838)
I'm always amazed with texture as art, and love what you are doing and anxious to see more.......TerryC

Aludien
01-22-2006, 05:15 PM
My focus first hits the red dots, then the lower left rust spots and then the white paint. :)

Constellation
01-22-2006, 06:00 PM
I'm wondering what you intended to be the focal point.... there doesn't seem to be any one thing that holds my attention except that I seem to settle on the "almost profile" of a face in the upper third. Very interesting art... and I too love the texture.... what medium did you use? Donna

Bentley
01-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the feedback! The "stuff" I use is a mixture of plaster, acrylic/latex paint and glue. When it hardens you could probably drive a truck over it. It's wonderful to play with- and you can get some more diverse things (cracks etc.) happening by quickening the drying with heat lamp/ fans etc.

The white does seem to be intense here- I took the shot while I had the painting outside so it comes off more harsh than it really is.

Regarding "intended focal point"... I guess that's what I'm wondering. Coming from a photography background, I've always led the eye into a photograph. With THIS art- now I seem to be taking these little "slices" out of things and taking a look at the design in the micro as it speaks of the "macro". Idon't know... maybe I could wax philisophically on the whole thing in another forum!!!

Thanks again for the comments and encouragement. I love this place! Bentley

pampe
01-23-2006, 08:02 PM
Welcome to the FORUM, Bentley

I like it

If the white were toned down, I would still roam around the work....maybe a macro....but even a macro wants a COI

I really love the title

Pam

Zap
01-24-2006, 12:07 PM
My eye was drawn immediately to the white section. The painting is tactile and well done for me.

glenn payan
01-24-2006, 03:58 PM
nice bentley
yep the white demands the attention in the photo...perhaps a better photo.
the rivets are well done...are they painted on?

Bentley
01-24-2006, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the heads up Glenn (and others) about the white.
Concerning the rivets- everything that you see is actual 3-d. So, the right-hand vertical band (including the rivets) and horizontal bands are all riased and "sculpted" on the board.
B

Dhuot
01-25-2006, 01:14 AM
I must say that I am drawned to the upper left sky thing !
Really delicate lines that are beautiful.
Overall ,also very beautiful and it has some kind of colour interaction, almost like a research ....:)
Nice effect.

Spyderbabe
01-25-2006, 11:10 AM
I want to get my hands on this plaster mixture and play with it!
I want to see more..