GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Family of Five
Year Created: 2006
Medium: Oil Pastel
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 9x12 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I have a bit left to do on this - soften and fix some lines, a little work on the water and some work on the 2nd mushroom in from the right, basically polish it up.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'm working on light and atmosphere in my paintings - any critiques in these areas or any others would be helpful. Any comments would be appreciated.

Corby
01-22-2006, 02:45 AM
The soft focus is just fine for a picture of this type, everything should be subordinated to the fungi. Of course that having been said, it also has to do with the intent of the painting. Is it for identification purposes or is it an element in a fantasy and so on... do you know what these are? I am reminded of the 'Honey Mushroom'...
Avery nice painting.

Becky Foster
01-22-2006, 09:36 AM
Thanks, I'm pretty sure they're Forest Friend mushrooms, but not sure enough to include the name in the title.

My lighting for digitals isn't too great, especially with oil pastels - I tend to get a reflective effective. Like you can't see the grain of the canvas in real life but my lights pick up the texture and gives the "softer" look of the image.

My goal with this was to show the character I saw in the individual shrooms, the way thay looked like they all had different ages and personalities. And the slow motion movement in relation to the sunlight.

Thanks for the reply - I don't know if you remember the teaberry (it's on my profile page if you forgot) but I tried to improve my background work with this painting.

-Becky

hward
01-23-2006, 02:08 PM
I'd like a few shiny spots on the mushies. Don't know whether the species is, in real life, shiny, but nevertheless.

Also more texture in the grass or whatever it is.

Finally, the black clouds are good, but somehow they don't grab the eye like they should. This is partly because the line between cloud and sky is mostly hidden by the mushies. The mushies growing up against the forboding sky would be very dramatic. So, I'd try to add more good ol' black in the clouds, and maybe even some lighter areas so the contrast really increases a lot. This is so the clouds stand out more in the painting. Lightning might be too much, but that's the general direction I want to go.

I'm just talking as a viewer. I don't really have enough painting skill to do these suggestions very well.

Becky Foster
01-23-2006, 06:13 PM
Here it is finished...pretty slight changes.

Hward:

No, they're not shiny mushrooms.

It's not grass, the "whatever it is" is moss. But thanks for the feedback.

That's not sky, that's water. And those aren't clouds, they're trees.

As I said, my lighting for digital photos isn't too great so there's some reflective effect, but not too much.

-Becky