Year Created: 2006
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 10 x 7
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
More trees, more rocks.

And i STILL suck at painting rocks!
I've been watching this guy on TV doing his rocks with a palette knife and it looks so easy to do, but it just never seems to work right for me... ah well...

For this painting i put a touch more detail into the buildings, i admit i screwed up a shadow but i'll leave you to spot that.

Think of it as a game. ;)
(he says trying to justify his mistake! :D )

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any comments are VERY much appreciated.

Grunge
01-21-2006, 04:15 PM
Hi Ronnie! What a lovely little painting.

I do want to mention to you that Mr. Palet Knife is probably working in oils while you are working in watercolour. You have the much more difficult task and just look at how beautiful your painting is!

The only thing I notice that bothers me is the tonal value of the mountains versus the buildings. they are too close. I'm thinking the houses need to be a little darker just to help push those mountains back in space. I'm sure they probably were about that light as you see them in real life... but you might want to exercise a little artistic license here to help things along.

Some things you could try to help you along with your rocks:

stamp paint onto a dry wash using a natural sponge. this gives nice texture.
brush alcohol into a wet wash. this will lighten an area.

Just get some scrap paper and play around and see what you can do with these techniques.

So anyway...great job! Keep up the good work!

RonnieT
01-21-2006, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the tips Grunge, i'll give them a try.

But Mr Palette Knife is working in watercolour! Since i can remember his name, its Keith Fenwick. I've seen his programme on TV quite a few times now (in the UK) and he uses his palette knife quite a lot for scratching techniques and his stones look really good with his scraping technique.

The other thing that makes the mountains stand out a bit too much is probably my photography skills. Or lack of... From now on i think i need to scan the paintings to get a computer image closer to the original painting...

Grunge
01-21-2006, 06:57 PM
oh goodness. scraping. that didn't occur to me. I suppose that would work. my palet knife is so sharp (after all this mixing of oil colours) that it will cut me if I try to wash it by hand. Took me a while to realize where I was getting the cuts on my thumb. Now I just wipe it down with a paper towel.

RonnieT
01-21-2006, 11:32 PM
yeah, its pretty nice technique. He calls it his 'wonder knife' :D

Corby
01-22-2006, 02:57 AM
something fun if your bored and can't think of anything to paint. You can practice arranging and painting rocks. Any shallow container will do with a half dozen or so rocks of different shapes from the creek bed and a good bucket of sand or even just dirt. You arrange the stones in naturalistic order and pour the sand over them. Gives you a small vignette, could be mountains or anything. just sketch till you become adept at arranging and recording their aspects...get tired of one view, create another...

Dana Design
01-22-2006, 12:23 PM
I'm impressed with the excellent advice you've received so may I just add that this is a very nice painting and, no, I couldn't find the shadow that you didn't like!

Well done!