PDA

View Full Version : Pouting

JamieWG
01-21-2006, 12:42 PM
Sometimes we just need to vent and rant! :evil:

Less than two days ago I bought a gorgeous bouquet of flowers. By the time I got them home, the purple ones were already wilted. :( I put the rest in a vase with that flower-keeper stuff. Yesterday morning I arranged a still life:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2006/13766-0122005_flowers_initial_setup_500.jpg

A close-up of my gorgeous bouquet and little soapstone bird:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2006/13766-0122005_flowers_2_450.jpg

I got some of the block-in done before leaving for work in the afternoon, 12x18 on Wallis paper:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2006/13766-0122005_flowers_wip3_450.jpg

Well, here comes the sad part. I went down to my studio this morning, and look what happened to my flowers!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2006/13766-0122005_flowers_wilted_450.jpg

Needless to say, it'll be a cold day in hell before I buy flowers at that place again. :( I'm going to see if I can still paint all but the big focal point pink flowers....then try to find another store that has some big pink ones I can substitute in the setup.

*pouting*

Jamie

Bringer
01-21-2006, 12:47 PM
Hi Jamie,

You should have bought eddible flowers:p
At least they would have another use:D

Regards,

Josť

JamieWG
01-21-2006, 12:48 PM
Hi Jamie,

You should have bought eddible flowers:p
At least they would have another use:D

Regards,

Josť

Jose, thanks for making me laugh. I really need that most right about now! :D

Jamie

DFGray
01-21-2006, 12:56 PM
I have always been attracted to dying florals
use em up

HarvestMoon
01-21-2006, 01:16 PM
Jamie
so sorry for you.... but you sure have a lovely studio setup and great pastels at the read.... perhaps you can use the picture... I stopped buying and asked my husband to stop getting 'live' cut flowers many years ago- it just makes me too sad to cut such beautiful living things only to have them quickly die like that.... have heard a bit of sugar in the water helps though...

dlake
01-21-2006, 01:23 PM
Sugar never worked for me. but, then, I want to take them and put them in the ground. hahaha.
Never buy cut flowers in a grocery store or someplace like that. They will die immediately. Stop at a sweet little flower shop and get a nice little bunch. Those do last longer and they give you a food packet to keep them fresh for a few days longer.
It always is sad when flowers wilt - even in the garden. I'm so sorry.
Diane

JamieWG
01-21-2006, 01:30 PM
Jamie... perhaps you can use the picture......

ROFLOL! The thought of painting from the photo didn't even occur to me. I'm laughing so hard at myself. I could finish up everything but the two large pink flowers from life, then use the photo just for the two big, dead, pink ones. Gee, thanks! It figures that someone here would come up with a solution for me. :D

Dan and Diane, thanks for your comments too. And yes, I did indeed buy them at a grocery store! 'Think I'll take your advice, Diane, and try the florist next time. A bouquet of roses from the A&P recently did last nearly a full week, and the huge bouquets from Costco that can fill 3 or 4 vases last a pretty long time. This particular grocer's flower dept. won't be getting any more of my business though.

Jamie

dlake
01-21-2006, 01:33 PM
Jamie, with my background in gardening - the blood runs with dirt. what can I say? lol.
diane

fortysomething
01-21-2006, 03:54 PM
Often, local grocers get the rejects from the florists- that's why flowers from the local florist cost more.

Things to try:
1. Put your next bouquet in the refrigerator when you're not using it. Ever notice that's where florist's keep them? If nobody's home to look at the bouquet, does it matter where it's kept?

2. Ask your local florist for their rejects- the ones they don't sell directly to the public. You might get lucky! And don't forget to take them a beautiful pastel painting of their flowers to say "thank you."

3. Grow blooming house plants. Every once in a while, even I can get my african violets to bloom.

Just some ideas... I still use fake foliage because I don't work fast enough for fresh. Even if I keep 'em in the fridge!

PeggyB
01-21-2006, 06:24 PM
I guess it depends upon the grocery, but mine has wonderfully fresh flowers - always. Anyway, that's not the point. Part of the problem here is the flower you chose. I find gerbera daisies generally don't last very long unless they aren't completely opened when you buy them. I've been known to buy fresh flowers that are long lasting, and if I want something that isn't so long lasting I will put a silk flower of that varitey into the fresh arrangment. Other times I just use silk flowers. I have a huge collection of silks that look amazingly "real". I buy them at Michaels & elsewhere when they have a sale. I also have a collection of life like fruits and veggies for still life set ups that I use for students. Since the classes are only once a week, and they frequently can't finish the painting in one session, it is easy to have the same set up from week to week when I use "fake".

btw: I'm looking forward to seeing your finished painting. You have a good start.
Peggy

DMcGowan
01-21-2006, 07:40 PM
Once upon a time I had a big garden full of zinnias. One day I cut two bouquets and stuck them in different containers -one was silver plate and the other ceramic. Three days later...LOOK! Go figure. The flowers were out of the same garden, cut the same day, same water -just different containers. Glad I saved this picture!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2006/48797-zinnias.jpg

dlake
01-21-2006, 08:44 PM
Donna,
It could have been something in the clay of the porcelain. Sometimes the ceramic has lethal impurities to things like flowers. Because I sell the antique type one thing I use in cleaning is soaking denture cleaner tabs in hot water. Sometimes, becuase it so old, the dirt and stuff is really on there. cleans it out. It could be in the clay of the ceramic tho.
Diane

JamieWG
01-21-2006, 09:20 PM
OMG, Donna, that comparison is really amazing! In my case, it's only that one type of flower that wilted. The rest are okay. A florist who posted to my thread in the ARtwork from Life forum says the gerbera daisies should last 7-14 days if they're fresh! My "vase" is actually a very old, large blue mason jar, and I washed it out really well before putting in the flowers.

Diane, you totally crack me up.

Lisa, I love your idea of the blooming house plants, but what's one with a black thumb to do??? As soon as I go two months without watering them, they die. Imagine that! I did just purchase a "lucky bamboo" in a cute lil pot. We'll see if that one can manage to survive my torture.

Peggy, I buy silk flowers there too, but somehow just can't get myself to use them unless they're a side item rather than the focus of the painting. So sweet of you to ask for updates.....Thank you. Here ya go. Plenty more to do tomorrow, but I did make some headway on the ones that are still alive, plus progress on the vase, background and tabletop:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jan-2006/13766-0122005_flowers_wip4_450.jpg

Jamie

K Taylor-Green
01-21-2006, 11:43 PM
My garden blooms each year with beautiful roses, daylillies, spider flowers, coreopsis, and many others. But don't give me a house plant. The poor thing will die as sure as if I killed it on purpose.

And Jamie, how observant are we artists?! The photo? LOLOLOL!

dlake
01-22-2006, 02:08 AM
Kate, you sound like me. I have beautiful flowers for several months out of the year and I can make them grown and bloom
Houseplants just die.
Maybe it's because I so love the plants I grow outside but, find houseplants kinda boring - at least for me. they do green leaves. The pleasure of them aren't are much as my babies outside.
Diane

fortysomething
01-22-2006, 09:09 AM
Jamie, I understand about the houseplants. I used to kill them regularly, until a friend of mine told me to stop loving (watering) them too much. He said to water them when I couldn't remember the last time I'd watered them. Works fairly well as long as my husband isn't watering them behind my back. When the houseplants start dying, I know who to talk to. :evil: He does great with the outdoor garden, so I stay off his turf.

I've just started growing blooming plants. They're so pretty in the store, but I get them home & they don't ever bloom as profusely, or as often as they're probably supposed to. The foliage looks healthy, so maybe they just don't like me. The violets don't seem to like much water, either.

There's a florist near me, but so far I haven't worked up the courage to go in and beg for cast offs. I adore fresh flowers- either from the yard, or from the local florist. Grocery store flowers have been a big disappointment.

dlake
01-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Lisa, do you feed them? Alittle miracle gro for houseplants is good. I know what you mean about watering. We use to see people bring in plants with root rot. Especially if there were no holes for the water to go. If you do have a pot without holes people can put pebbles on the bottom to soak up the extra water.
But, alot of people forget to give the little guys some food for blooming. That's how the garden centers always have the plants blooming. They feed them with a water feed like miracle gro while watering a few time a week.
But, for me, my love is outside. But, I know the tricks of the trade and how the insides bloom and thrive.
Diaine

JamieWG
01-22-2006, 06:05 PM
Finished painting is here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321370).

Many thanks to all of you for your advice and support!

Jamie

Bill Foehringer
01-23-2006, 10:59 AM
Jamie, Looks good so far! Don't feel bad I was thinking what a nice photo of the flowers you could sell that! It never occurred to me either to use it as a source. BTW what's in the caulk guns hanging on the taboret? BillF

JamieWG
01-23-2006, 11:09 AM
Jamie, Looks good so far! Don't feel bad I was thinking what a nice photo of the flowers you could sell that! It never occurred to me either to use it as a source. BTW what's in the caulk guns hanging on the taboret? BillF

Thanks, Bill. The pastel is now finished. There's a link to the finished piece two posts up, and it's also posted to the Artwork from Life forum.

The caulking guns contain oil paints. :)

Jamie