PDA

View Full Version : Reclining nude - third session

Jeffi
02-07-2002, 09:48 AM
All,

Here's the latest photo from last nights session. At the end of the class I put it on the floor to take the picture and immediately found problems in the left arm and left leg. What a difference a new perspective makes. So, next class the first thing I'll do is go back and fix those goobers. I've found it's a lot slower going when working on oil-based clay as opposed to water-based clay. It often seems as though I'm not making much progress. I still like working with the clay though. Anyway, as usual comments or suggestions are requested.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2002/Tara17.jpg

diane555
02-07-2002, 10:26 AM
Hi Jeffi

Thanks for posting the new pic. Yep, a new perspective can make all the difference in helping us "see" things. I find it's easier to spot them after I have the pics up here on the screen. This is looking good jeffi. You're making terrific progress on this piece. I see that you like to work fairly smooth all along...It's interesting to see how each person works their way through a piece. Can't wait to see how you work the face! Looking forward to the next pics :)

Di

MKathleen
02-07-2002, 10:56 AM
HI Jeffi:

Hey this is coming along nicely!:clap: I have also found a different view/perspective on your sculpture things do look different. I'm learning to keep rotating my piece frequently, and trying not to work on anyone area to long. It works the same way with painting work your canvas as a whole, and don't fall in love with any one area. A handy tool painters use is a mirror. Looking at your canvas in reverse somehow acts like a second person viewing your work with you. Errors just seem to pop out at ya:eek: So I've started using the mirror with my horse and rider.
I agree about the your observation about the left arm and leg. The left shoulder looks like it's coming forward or did you intend that to be?
All in all this is really nice and pleaseeeeeee keep posting your progress images. I'm learning from you too:D

Best,
Kathy:D

Jeffi
02-07-2002, 12:33 PM
Diane and Kathy,

I'll have to start putting it on the floor more often to get the perspective. She's lying in front of us and rotates in a circle every 20 minutes (the dias she's on has wheels); so I'm getting a variety of horizontal angles, but unless I get a ladder and climb up over her it will be hard to get a true perspective of her form from the vertical aspect. Still, putting it on the floor brought out some immediate problem areas. So, I'll just keep putting it down every now and then, marking some obvious changes, then bring it up to the stand to work on it.
As for the face, I'll probably wait to do that last. Next class I'll try to fix the problem areas; after that it's hands and feet, then on to the face. Last thing is putting in the pillows, etc. she's lying on.
I do tend to get sidetracked trying to smooth out the form as I go. I have to watch that. I'm trying to get the 'feel' for smoothing it accurately with my fingers, but so far no luck. Aaargh!
Using a mirror - that's a neat idea. I hadn't thought of that. I can use that at home when I'm working on something in my garage. Thanks!

max nelson
02-07-2002, 06:57 PM
Jeffi, very nice progress. When I first started sculpting I took a class with a local artist. He wasn't very helpful in most things but the one thing he did repeat over and over was keep checking at different angles and as Kathy mentioned, not to stay on any one spot too long. The other thing I learned there was the ole 'ladder' trick. Really, we would climb the ladder and look down on the model. You can really see glaring errors like that. Not that I see any here not already mentioned, but it is good to use this perspective. You have a very good natural talent for the 3rd dimension. The only thing I see that I would change may be to increase the size of the foot, and look at the way the inside of the foot curves inward while the outside sole curves outward. Small point but it can add a lot to a figure by having hands and feet in porportion. It is a tendency that I fight all the time not to make these too small. They really are quite large on humans.
Max:)

Jeffi
02-08-2002, 06:45 PM
Max,

You're right about the foot. I just threw it on there and haven't paid much attention to it yet, but I'll definitely need to get it fixed soon. I think I need to resize the hand as well. I thought I'd have plenty of time with eight sessions, but it's starting to look like I'll just barely get done. Oh well.