PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone paint from digital photos?

Rich Haynes
01-21-2006, 10:39 AM
I am looking for some sort of digital viewer that can run on AC or batteries, that I can keep beside my easel and be able to refer to images on CF or SD cards off my camera. I've seen a few viewers but the screens are so small (3-5") it would not be practical for me.

Has anyone seen anything affordable out there for artists to use?

(right now I paint mostly from slides)

RIch Haynes

nancy_ellen56
01-26-2006, 12:13 AM
Might I suggest you buy a scanner that will scan your slides into your computer and set you a computer up in your studio...you can also download your digital pics from your camera to the computer and have your reference images right at hand and large enough to see....This might work out nice for you...

beautifulfreak
02-10-2006, 06:00 PM
What about a cheap used laptop. If all you want is to view an image on it it doesn't have to have the fastest or latest stuff or big memory hogging software.

MrsWooly
02-15-2006, 12:30 AM
I have an old computer that my employer was going to dump when we got new ones. It isn't good for much other than looking at my photos when I am painting. You can save your digital photos on a cd from a better computer then view them from it on the cheaper computer.

I often set up my photos in powerpoint so I can draw lines to get the right perspective for putting the idea onto the canvas.

Cheers!

Robin

SabZero
02-15-2006, 12:37 PM
I had seen this thread already, but only today I remembered that you can use a PDA (handheld computer) for displaying images. They are still small, but have a bigger display area than a slide or digital camera... If your digital camera has infra red, you don't even need a computer to transfer the images as most PDAs have that too (although you'd need one for editing).

Edit: Another option is a portable dvd player with a screen. If you have a dvd recorder in your computer, you can just put all your photos on a cd or dvd and have a slideshow on-the-go...

jk4493
02-15-2006, 12:46 PM
Hi!

Have you rejected the idea of printing out the image to work from? depending on level of detail/color accuracy you need, you could do this very inexpensively. (Of course, a photo-quality image will cost about $1.00 per sheet to print)...

tammy
02-16-2006, 01:18 PM
Moved from the Swap Shop as your thread is becoming more of a technical nature than what is appropriate for the Swap Shop. Maybe you can get more ideas here. :)

la salmon
02-16-2006, 02:58 PM
I am not sure if you want a viewer for outdoors or studio work? because right now you are painting from slides. For a larger viewer after you have taken the picture. Maybe you can get one of the small screen movie players such as, a 7" or 10" player. Take the pictures with your camera and then burn a DVD-RW.

Also, there are the 4" or 6" picture viewers. Such as, Philips 6 1/2-Inch Rechargeable Digital Photo Frame
#ON502
listed at www.sharperimage.com

barryt
02-17-2006, 05:47 AM
To answer the question of the thread, I think most of us do, most of the time. If you ask how, then I think most have the image on the same screen they do their painting or picture.

sg-rock-20001
02-17-2006, 07:48 AM
I do often I find that itís better as I always the kids with me anyway I don't have the time to stand & take my time. I take about 4 shots & I the main one out in black & white. I don't think this is cheating in any way as it help me get the shapes right as long as I have an idea of the colours remember It is an impression of what you saw not a copy.
Have fun Tony

Elainepsq
02-18-2006, 01:45 AM
I don't have anything to add, but painting from a small DVD player is a great idea. Thanks for suggesting it! I noticed since I've been doing WDEs that I like the brightness of the screen to paint from, but sometimes, my 19" monitor becomes crowded with palettes, the painting I'm working from and the digital painting I'm working on. My son got a DVD player for Christmas, I might just borrow it!

Visualone
02-18-2006, 03:39 PM
I have a friend that burns his photos onto a CD and in the studio he has a large screen TV hooked up to a DVD player. He says it is almost like painting from life. A bit of an exageration, I'm sure but the large format could be a great help. I usually do a from life color sketch and also photograph the subject. I print out the photo and use both the photo and my own sketch to do a studio painting. I'm thinking of doing my friends idea though. :-)
Visualone
www.johncoxfineart.com

jayne_rose
02-19-2006, 11:07 AM
I take about 4 shots & I the main one out in black & white. I don't think this is cheating in any way as it help me get the shapes right as long as I have an idea of the colours remember It is an impression of what you saw not a copy.

If an artist takes makes their own compositions from THEIR OWN photographs, it is not cheating. We, as artists, have got to stop thinking that way. What you see through the camera and decide on painting, is all part of your own creative process. Many well known artists do stuff from their own photographs. If DaVinci had the chance to live in the age of photography, do you think he'd feel guilty about using a camera?

I use a digital camera to set up still lifes, find great landscapes and do casual human studies. I play with the photo in Adobe to get a feel of the color I want to use and direction I'll take with the subject matter. I then print it out big enough, about 8 x 10, so I can see it clearly. Lots of times I take the photo a bit out of focus so I don't see and paint every detail.

Happy painting!

Skinny
02-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Personally, I don't care how you arrive at a fine painting...that's your business, not mine. My business, as the viewer, is to enjoy it (or not). I have seen some photo manipulations that I thought were very good.

I'm sure that every time mankind offers us a technological advance to make our work easier there will be those screaming that it makes the work unauthentic. Don't you suppose that the pencil sharpener had its critics, too?

EyeSpy
02-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Another option is a portable dvd player with a screen. If you have a dvd recorder in your computer, you can just put all your photos on a cd or dvd and have a slideshow on-the-go...

What a brilliant idea to wake up to! I've been trying to come up with a way to have a running slideshow of images available when I'm at shows or art fairs. I can't invest in a laptop right now, but this is a wonderful alternative. And I know just where to borrow one . . .