PDA

View Full Version : Daler Rowney Pastels

binkie
01-20-2006, 07:49 PM
Does anyone use the Daler Rowney pastels? If so, can you offer some insight into what they're like?

Thanks!
binkie

KJSCL
01-20-2006, 07:54 PM
I do, and right now Dakota has them on sale for a buck a piece if you buy the whole set!!

The Rowney pastels are actually quite nice. They are softer than Rembrandts. The one drawback they do have is that the stick is quite thin, a fair bit thinner than a Rembrandt for example. However because they are smaller sized, you can use them in tighter spots. I'd recommend them to anyone looking to supplement their collection (and aren't we all :evil: )

HarvestMoon
01-20-2006, 09:19 PM
I wanted to order them- cut up the plastic- huge sob......
Linda

binkie
01-20-2006, 10:10 PM
Thanks Kathy, I'll go check out Dakota Arts!

Linda, know what you mean. My pastic is on the jagged edge.

binkie

dlake
01-21-2006, 12:44 AM
I saw that sale yesterday when trolling for something really cheap to replace the pastels that got ruined the night before going to art class. I got some open stock Great americans and was so proud. Feeling quite low when I accidentally ran into thier sale. Wow. spirits soared. It's a really good sale.
But, Linda, don't feel bad. I, more than most, know how it is to not be able to get something I really need or want due to budget. Pennies are tight. I think that is what really bothered me about the ruined pastels. I couldn't afford to buy much but, what ones I did get I got from a decent sales of my antiques in December and really plotted every stick I bought. So, I totally know how you feel.
Diane

Jo Castillo
01-21-2006, 12:51 AM
Daler Rowney were my first pastel set purchased at the IAPS convention in Albuquerque in 1999. They are great. Some colors actually feel creamy. Nice variety of colors and they now have some big fat sticks as well. I like their colored paper as well. You can get bright colors .. yellow, purple, red, black, etc. Too fun.

Katherine T
01-21-2006, 06:14 AM
I'd say Daler Rowney are a lot softer than Rembrandt and nearly as soft as Schminke and Sennelier - and are the smallest pastels of all.

What I like them for in particular are their greyed colours - Blue Grey, Purple Grey, Green Grey and Red Grey - each having four tint shades and all are categorised as permanent colours. This is the link to the Daler Rowney colour charts (http://www.daler-rowney.com/prod_catalogue/colourchart.asp) in their product catalogue - the link to the soft pastel chart is down the bottom of the page.

jmp
01-21-2006, 09:10 AM
dlake- how did u "ruin" your pastels?

Linda- every thread about pastel sets i look at, you are right there! I'd say u definately have a "problem"- of course, I'm here too- look who's talking!-

dlake
01-21-2006, 10:58 AM
jmp, I think for you and Linda and rapidly myself, for pastels and buying them: The more pastels the merrier!! hahaha
Diane

artc
01-23-2006, 11:33 AM
Thank you everyone for information about this brand of pastels....I am going to give them a try and they appear very reasonably priced..TU..Art

dlake
01-23-2006, 11:48 AM
Jmp, I forgot to tell you. I was distracted when I went to art class and didn't secure the case. When I got out of my car they fell out on the pavement and broke into dust. I was able to salvage a few large chunks but, couldn't see anything because it was really dark where I was parked. I had my reg. pastels that I just got, but there was not a large collection. Bought open stock GAs. My Senneliers were pretty used up and what I had left was pretty dried when I got them. My nupastels are pretty worn out too. Was beginning to restock. Sob!
Good news is the next day Dakota began this awesome sale and I ordered the GA floral set. They are staying home. lol.

Fingerpaint
01-23-2006, 05:36 PM
OMG Diane! That was an horrific thing to happen, I would have been sobbing too! Turned out ok in the end though!:clap:

dlake
01-23-2006, 06:11 PM
paint, Yeah. Can;t cry too long. Was feeling really down Thrusday morning. Wednesday was not my best day. So, was dragging when I found that sale. Was thinking of the cityscapes or southwest set but, for some reason chose the floral on a whim. We'll see on thursday if I hit it right.
Diane

binkie
01-23-2006, 06:42 PM
Oh Diane, what an awful thing to have happen to you.

FYI Spoke to Dakota a couple of hours ago and the Daler Rowney pastels are on backorder since they don't have them yet. Couldn't give me a date but they hope the pastels will come in fairly soon.

binkie

Khadres
01-23-2006, 07:21 PM
They're having a "close-out" and are ordering more? Wierd. The main thing I have against Rowneys is the ease with which they snap--usually at a crucial moment when I'm doing a delicate passage of some sort. That plus they were way too expensive for their size before this sale thing. Still, if you have the chance, you might as well try them.

artc
01-24-2006, 12:57 PM
errrr.....What size are these pastels....How skinny are they??....Art

dlake
01-24-2006, 01:11 PM
Art,
according to my Jerry's catalog, they are 2.5 long by 3/8 wide. For a buck, hey order a few sticks for fun.
Hey, do me a favor. I'm asking for help on the thread of Pastel Pictures, I think it's right above or under this one. What's your opinion????
thanks
Diane

artc
01-24-2006, 02:10 PM
3/8" wide.....why did I get the impression these were skinny, thin little sticks.....I just measured a Rembrandt and it is about .45 in diameter...so I guess DR pastels are thinner.....I'm gonna try some....tnx...Art

Terry Wynn
01-24-2006, 04:31 PM
Hi, All,

Is anyone going to be taking the portrait class from Judith Carducci at the Cuyahoga Falls Art Center the end of March?

Terry

KJSCL
01-24-2006, 04:32 PM
I had to download some other pictures from my camera so I though I'd take a quick shot of a Rowney vs a Rembrandt diameter wise.

The left pastel is a Sennelier, the middle is the Rowney and the right is a Rembrandt. The Rowney's are about the same length but they are only about half the diameter of the other 2.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jan-2006/22726-Picture_032_small.jpg

Hope this helps

dlake
01-24-2006, 08:21 PM
Wow Kathy!
That is really thin. I was going off the catalog as I've never seen Rowney. You are a gem.
Diane

binkie
01-24-2006, 08:58 PM
Sooz,

The Daler Rowney pastels are being reformulated sometime this year, so Dakota purchased a huge lot of the current ones, which they have not received yet.

binkie

artc
01-24-2006, 09:01 PM
Thank You Kathy.....not much larger in diameter than pencils, apparently....well I'm gonna try some anyway....trip to Jerry's coming up soon now.....Thanks.....Art

dlake
01-24-2006, 09:08 PM
Art, look at it this way, It's always fun to try something new!
Diane

KJSCL
01-25-2006, 01:05 AM
Artie - absolutely try them. While they are small if you break them into about 1/3 you shouldn't run into the problem Sooz mentioned of them breaking at the most inopportune time! They are quite a nice little pastel and for the price Dakota's selling them for you definitely can't lose.

RUNEMASTER
01-25-2006, 04:01 AM
I have a small set, and i must say man they do go on like butter.Seem to be higher quality than Faber castell's, but then agin you may want to take advantage of castels texture.Though id rather have a bunch of Daler's.

artc
01-25-2006, 09:56 AM
Thanks guys......I'm going to get a small starter set and give them a try.
I appreciate the help......Art

artc
01-25-2006, 10:46 AM
HELP PLEASE......

#1 SCHMINCKE
#2 GREAT AMERICAN
#3 SENNELIER
#4 UNISON
#5 DIANE TOWNSEND SOFT
#6 MOUNT VISION
#7 TERRY LUDWIG
#8 GIRAULT
#9 ROWNEY
#10 BLOCKX
#11 GRUMBACHER
#12 ART SPECTRUM
#13 REMBRANDT
#14 HOLBEIN
#15 WINSOR & NEWTON
#16 CARAN D'ACHE
#17 DIANE TOWNSEND
TERRAGES
#18 DERWENT
#19 CRETACOLOR
#20 FABER-CASTEL
POLYCHROMOS
#21 NUPASTEL

Above is Dakota Pastels softness/hardness chart....I'm assuming #9 is Daler Rowney.....is this correct? I'm also assuming ...from the above chart that they are quite a bit softer then either REM....ART SPEC...and W/N...is this correct??

I just might be interested in trading an almost brand new W/N...72 piece "SOFT" assorted colors, pastel set....for something much softer. ( lets say range of 4 to 9 on above scale) Is there a pastel swap shop here on WC???????

I am assuming from RUNEMASTER's comments that these pastels will be MUCH softer than my W/N above set....any comments????

Moderators.....I'm sorry....I didn't mean to hijack somebodys thread here,
I don't really know where to post this....THANK YOU....Art

Thanks for your help,comments and suggestions.....Art

dlake
01-25-2006, 11:45 AM
Art,
I have some Senneliers. Used of course. Both full and halves. I'd be interested in talking to you about this. Or even if you want to dump the Art Spectrums-lol!!! Anyway, if interested you can personal message me and we can discuss if a deal is possible or not.
Diane

artc
01-25-2006, 12:21 PM
Thanks Diane.....Well the Art Spectrum set is kinda beat up...one or two sticks were broken in the brand new box after I got it home and opened it up......let me think about this for awhile and I may PM you later....I have to go out this afternoon.....The W/N set is in super pristine condition....more later......Art

artc
01-25-2006, 12:21 PM
Thanks Diane.....Well the Art Spectrum set is kinda beat up...one or two sticks were broken in the brand new box after I got it home and opened it up......let me think about this for awhile and I may PM you later....I have to go out this afternoon.....The W/N set is in super pristine condition....more later......Art

dlake
01-25-2006, 12:27 PM
Art,
Don't get me wrong. The W & Ns are great. They are just fine. I was joking about the Art Spectrums. Me thinks I joke too much. Gets me in trouble.
Actually, the senneliers are not in pristine condition. some sticks are, some not. Up and down. But, just thought I'd offer. If you aren't interested, fine. But, if you want, I'll probably have some doubles of colors when I get my Great American Artworks set and I can send those to you for fun. No swap or $$$. Just so you can try a couple sticks.
diane

DLJohnson
01-25-2006, 12:56 PM
Hi,

Since you asked

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289463

I still love them. I keep them and a set of harder Holbein's out ALL of the time, easy to do because of size. The small size is more of a benefit than a drawback.

I agree about the grays. Great set, brights and grays, easy to take with, I could go on and on.....Someone around here thinks they are dull but I have plenty of proof they have both. Some of my work requires sunglasses. :cool:

I must add that I love all of the brands for what they offer. (Except Alpha Color, seem gritty and cheap, well they are :cat: ) I also don't love the Art Spectrum pastels like I do many other brands. They seem waxy to me. I love their paper and primer so much, and I know many love the pastels so I am not knocking them. I just thought I might point that out since you are used to them. Anyone else think that or am I alone?

I wonder what the reformulation of Daler-Rowney will bring.

Donna

Oh, and I would switch the Girault and the Daler, and raise the Ludwig's higher on that list but otherwise pretty much agree. I don't have too many W&N but they seem pretty soft to me.

Oh, oh, get the pastel samplers at Dakota. You will get to see them all (pretty much) for a great price. You won't be sorry. Well you might be, it will make you want them all. :D The paper sampler is excellent too.

dlake
01-25-2006, 01:03 PM
Donna, Don't worry if you don't care for a certain pastel. We all have our likes and dislikes. I personally don't care for the unisons. Go figure. It depends on what you are looking for. some like and dislike the rowneys. I llike the spectrums for the bold colors and the look on a paper and easy blending but, alot of people hate them. I think the only pastel everyone agrees on is Rembrandts. Great workingclass pastel. Does the tough stuff and looks great.
Diane

MChesleyJohnson
01-25-2006, 05:41 PM
I love the Daler-Rowney soft pastels. They are just soft enough, and they have some very useful colors. Some of the blues are particularly nice.

dlake
01-25-2006, 07:16 PM
Michael, I like to try new things. It'll be interesting to try Rowneys and W & N. I still think, just from reading posts, that the Rembrandts are the universal agreement. For the icing everyone likes a different pastel.
Diane

jmp
01-25-2006, 09:17 PM
you know, I disagree w/ that dakota softness scale- winsor newtons are way softer than rembrandts - except for maybe the darkest darks. They were my first pastel set , and I still reach for them when I need a soft creamy color, granted they're not as soft as Sennilier or schminke but they aren't harder than rembrandts- thats for SURE.