PDA

View Full Version : Portrait in Acrylics (ONLY)

JCoop
01-20-2006, 12:36 AM
I was so taken by the feel of the acrylic brush in my last post, that I decided to dedicate an entire portrait to using only the acrylics... right down to the signature. I simply love the brush!... but I really need to tame it a bit more.

What are your thoughts?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2006/30872-leanne_scrn1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2006/30872-leanne_clse.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2006/30872-leanne_hair.jpg

I'm also posting the ref for anyone who wants to paint it...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2006/30872-leanne_ref.jpg

Chiers
01-20-2006, 12:44 AM
Love it joel!! Lets face it, you are just too darn good with any brush you pick up!:envy:

Boy, this one has oodles of dimension to it...terrific!

cunparis
01-20-2006, 02:32 AM
I was so taken by the feel of the acrylic brush in my last post, that I decided to dedicate an entire portrait to using only the acrylics... right down to the signature. I simply love the brush!... but I really need to tame it a bit more.

What are your thoughts?

Last weekend when I was becoming very frustrated with the Artist Oils, I tried the acrylic brushes and liked them very much. I find they handle much better. The two downsides I saw was that you can't load a mix of colors like with artist oils and that the strokes seemed flat. You seemed to have found a way to keep them from being flat with the bristle marks. Which brushes did you use? I was using the opaque 30 brush. Did you customize the settings?

I really like the portrait. I haven't been here on the forum long but this is one of the few portraits done from a photo that doesn't look like it started out as a photo. I really like that aspect. I'd love to see a WIP to see the various stages of your process.

BTW, I've been wanting to tell you, when I was researching Painter and the Wacoms before I decided to jump in, I found your posts and your website and was really impressed. Your website was very influential in my decision to try this digital medium (I usually paint with real acrylics & oils).

-Michael

JustinBeckett
01-20-2006, 04:51 AM
Cool jcoop. I enjoy this one.

barryt
01-20-2006, 05:51 AM
My initial thought was that you've given a girl with hazel brown eyes, green eyes!
But hey you've probably had more time to stare into them :)
Love the portrait, you've kept that gracious welcoming smile.

justjean
01-20-2006, 08:14 AM
Beautiful painting Joel, I always thought acrylics harsh looking but you have just changed my mind :D

philwms
01-20-2006, 09:19 AM
Good job! I love textures. One of digital's great contributions to the wealth of art tools is its ability to create texture. :)

JCoop
01-20-2006, 11:11 AM
Thanks for your great responses.

Sherry, you always know exactly how to get a smile from me.

Michael, coming from your traditional background, once you get up to speed you'll be a pig in mud!

I plan on further experimentation with acrylics, and I'll pass on what I find out. Believe it or not, I only used one brush from the acrylics category... the Thick Acrylic Round Brush... I found it gave me the best action and the best options.

I played around with the Feature, Opacity, and Impasto settings mostly. Make sure you keep the Resat setting at 100, this allows you to paint with pure color on a transparent layer.

At times I turned the impasto completely off, other times I set it low, and still others I set it pretty high, but not high enough to get those ugly artifacts that impasto can leave behind.

The Feature setting basically controls how dense your bristles become... I found that I tweeked this setting constantly, depending on the size of the brush I was using at the time.

When I was ready to blend I just lowered the opacity. Make sure you set your brush to change size with pressure.

Yeah, I rode that brush till the wheels fell off...LOL!

Glad I had something to do with you getting started.:) You should post soon, so you can get some feedback.

Justin, thanks for looking and commenting.

Barry, I couldn't resist playing with the eye color... I know they're kinda strong. I was so into the brush, I was just experimenting without respect for a strong likeness. Thanks.

Jean, thank you. Acrylics can be harsh if they are not toned down. Luckily for us, we have all of the tools at our disposal to "tame" them. Try 'em, I think you'll find them flexible.

Phil, yes, I've seen you do the most incredible things with texture... It gets me high too! Thanks alot for your nice words.

Thanks all!:)

omniartz
01-20-2006, 03:26 PM
Beautiful work, Joel! Very pretty young woman. Love what you've done with the acrylic brush! :clap:

jhercilia
01-21-2006, 03:06 PM
Beautiful Joel.
I like the change of eye color.

LadyAlba
01-21-2006, 03:24 PM
I would have sworn I posted to this earlier but it is not here anyway...I love the brush strokes in this one and also the background really makes her pop. ;o)

phooey
01-23-2006, 10:38 AM
Terrific! Those eyes are beautiful. Joel, I got a lot from your explanation of how you worked with the brush settings....THANKS! (Kristen, "Skinny", temporarily "phooey")

TxAggieDarlin
01-23-2006, 12:15 PM
I agree...........you could paint with a broom ........excellent work...I love it

Bytemebabs
01-24-2006, 08:19 PM
Coop? Pardon me for starting with your post as I have been MIA and thought I would start at the bottom of this page so that the most current post would come back to the top where they belong.

The only thing you need to tame is the "DIGITAL DROOL" all over this forum that accumulates when we view your paintings.

Just plain WOW.