PDA

View Full Version : Help for lost digital images

pastelli
01-19-2006, 11:10 AM
It seems like a lost about 1/3 of the digital images I had downloaded from my Rebel XT onto my computer and had even printed from them. My camera gives each image a number and I have done repeated searches for some of those numbers.....I also looked on Picasa (my assumption is that Picasa organizes ALL the digital images on the hard drive). I went through the procedure of backing up my images via Picasa onto CDs, but I never checked that they actually got copied onto CDs (and now when I try to open the CDs, they are blank).

Any suggestions? Are they truly lost?

Sandra Burshell
www.sandraburshell.com

Chiers
01-19-2006, 11:41 AM
Have you tried doing a search of your computer for .img? If you have win xp all you have to do is start/search/pictures. Chances are you will find more pictures than you care to.

Smokin
01-19-2006, 01:11 PM
Chier's suggestion is the best one, but nothing is ever deleted until something is written over it on the physical HD. Worst case scenario is you can spend alot of money seeing what someone can dig out of your HD, dont know how valuble those photos are to you. Ive never checked, but maybe there is software that finds that info too, never checked though.

Will do a quickie search.

Smokin
01-19-2006, 01:21 PM
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,23069,tfg,tfg,00.asp

There seems to be a ton of software out there for file recovery. he is just one that I plucked from the selection. Im sure you can find some free software out there that does the same thing as the software you have to purchase. GL!

cunparis
01-19-2006, 02:38 PM
It seems like a lost about 1/3 of the digital images I had downloaded from my Rebel XT onto my computer and had even printed from them. My camera gives each image a number and I have done repeated searches for some of those numbers.....I also looked on Picasa (my assumption is that Picasa organizes ALL the digital images on the hard drive). I went through the procedure of backing up my images via Picasa onto CDs, but I never checked that they actually got copied onto CDs (and now when I try to open the CDs, they are blank).

Any suggestions? Are they truly lost?

Sandra Burshell
www.sandraburshell.com

I don't understand how the CDs could be blank if you didn't have any errors when backing up. For your hard drive, searching is a good idea, maybe they got displaced. But you won't find them with .img, you need to search either .jpg or .cr2 (if you shoot in RAW). Also, if you think you deleted them and want to recover them with software, you should avoid using your computer as much as possible. When you use your computer it will write to the hard disk and could overwrite your deleted images.

Good luck

Chiers
01-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Usually when I lose an image its because I forgot to change the file name when I saved them and they get saved to the last used file instead. Doing just a regular search you would use the ext that your camera uses. But on XP you don't need to worry about what the ext is. Just use the search and one of the options it gives you is pictures, music, video. Choose that and its off and running. I just found over 5000 images on my computer. EGADS!