PDA

View Full Version : Dealers of Death

PaulC44446
01-19-2006, 08:37 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-19-2006/72932_Wildwest_Strip.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Dealers of Death
Year Created: 2006
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 24 x 19
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This just took 1st place in a comic strip illustration contest. However, I think it could've been better. This was the first comic strip illustraion I've ever done and I think I might've spent too much time on the comice strip layout rather than the illustration(s).

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
My question is this: i know the comic sans type font is all wrong in the type boxes. I should've used something more western. However, putting that aside, I feel I just missed something in the illustration(s) themselves. This was the 1st western type illustrations I've done. I like the color pallet but something is missing I think.

Dana Design
01-19-2006, 12:48 PM
Very interesting! I'm not familiar with illustration rules as such but nothing jumped out at me, including the type, that was wonky or out of place.

I don't, however, understand the spectacles on the girl. Unnecessary, IMO.

Good work!

PaulC44446
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
Actually the sprctacles were part of the reference I used. That 1st panel was a picture taken a few years ago of my wife and myself in a small shop. My wife had been after me lately to do a portrait of us so I did this instead. I suppose I could've left them out of the painting though.

Spyderbabe
01-19-2006, 02:10 PM
While I really like what you have done I agee with Dana... that in keeping with an old West theme - and I'm thinking late 1800s - the glasses seem out of place.
Authentic period clothing (the dress sleeves seem wrong) and props (what looks like a bottle of fine wine might be better as a chunkier looking whiskey bottle) would enhance the Old West feel.

vhere
01-20-2006, 04:54 AM
I agree with the comments so far,

re: colour - you've used a burnt sienna, warm, colour throughout - a mix of warm and cool browns would have created a more interesting feel - burnt umber or raw umber in shadows and the burnt sienna for the mid tones and highlights possibly?

Zap
01-20-2006, 10:00 AM
Technically, I think you did quite well with the illustration. Accuracy in the setting and period dress is off some. I agree about the glasses. I find them distracting. My comment is more about the expression on the female figure. She has more the look of the girl-next-door or a loving mother. She doesnt seem to fit the image I have in my head about Mrs. Kitty, wife of Mad Dog and a barroom killer, like the words say. (imo)