PDA

View Full Version : Kids on the Beach

JamieWG
01-18-2006, 10:30 PM
I took some photos of my kids on the beach while we were down in Florida over the Christmas holidays. Since I really don't like painting from photos, I did a combination painting with the photo and a shell.

Kids on the Beach
9x12, pastel on light blue Art Spectrum
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2006/13766-kids_on_the_beach_wip4_450.jpg

I've tweaked the painting a little already since taking that pic....May or may not work on this more. I'll let it sit for a couple of days and then decide.

Here's a pic of my setup:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2006/13766-kids_on_the_beach_wip4_setup_500.jpg

Here are a couple of progress images taken over the past few days. I've only had a little bit of time to paint, so have worked this in bits 'n pieces. This is how I started the painting:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2006/13766-kids_on_the_beach_start_w_setup_500.jpg

This is a little further along, with the basic block-in completed:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2006/13766-kids_on_the_beach_wip2.jpg

Many thanks for looking! My husband doesn't understand why I didn't just paint the kids from the photo, and thinks the shell is too big and distracting. :rolleyes:

Jamie

LarrySeiler
01-18-2006, 11:35 PM
:)

hahaaa.....I love this approach!!!! :clap:

Jimmy's sure to come in this thread though and give you a hard time ;) about painting from photographs!!!! :D

Fun..wasn't it? Nice work...

Larry

Lorijo
01-18-2006, 11:44 PM
It looks great Jamie! I like the shell and the whole idea too, very cool! Lori

DLGardner
01-19-2006, 12:15 AM
You did a great job here Jamie. Shells are hard to do I think! Love the photo.
Sigh, must be nice,
sun in January...

My husband doesn't understand why I didn't just paint the kids from the photo, and thinks the shell is too big and distracting.

Husbands are good for those kind of comments. Recently when I was painting my waterfall my husband came in and said "you don't have much experience painting water do you?"

AAaaaaack!!!!
He's lucky I didn't throw him in head first!

Dianne

LarrySeiler
01-19-2006, 09:26 AM
I got that "why paint the photo?" thing too at school on the couple I was doing. Some get it...some don't. Those that get it think its very cool and a marketable concept. Those that don't get it..well, just don't get it!

I got comments too on that bobblehead of why paint from the chins down and base only, giving more attention to the game ticket stub? But...I'd rather paint for those that are interested in seeing thru the artist's eyes and soul of what is interesting in the world than pander to what they might find interesting.

Truthfully....I don't always find what others in the world think all that interesting!

Not saying your husband fits that description at all, Jamie...just that you've got to paint with passion and what your gut instinct calls out!

Julieanne
01-19-2006, 10:54 AM
That shell pops, I like it & I've painted a shell before so I appreciate how difficult it it.

JamieWG
01-19-2006, 09:12 PM
That shell pops, I like it & I've painted a shell before so I appreciate how difficult it it.

Thanks, Julieanne. I've done them before in oils and it wasn't so bad, so I was surprised that this one in pastel gave me such a hard time. I haven't done this particular shell before, so I'll have to give it a go in oils too at some point and see if I can do better with it in a different medium.

Jamie

JamieWG
01-21-2006, 11:43 AM
It looks great Jamie! I like the shell and the whole idea too, very cool! Lori

Lori, thanks so much. So glad you like it. :) I'm going to have to do more and get a better grip on shell rendering.

Jamie

JamieWG
01-21-2006, 11:46 AM
You did a great job here Jamie. Shells are hard to do I think! Love the photo.
Sigh, must be nice,
sun in January...

Dianne, it was really nice except for the fact that I never get to paint on those family trips. I kept seeing the most wonderful scenes, and would have loved to paint on the beach the day I was taking these photos. The sky was dramatic and I missed my oils.

Husbands are good for those kind of comments. Recently when I was painting my waterfall my husband came in and said "you don't have much experience painting water do you?"

AAaaaaack!!!!
He's lucky I didn't throw him in head first!

OMG, Dianne. A lucky guy indeed! heeheehee

Jamie

DLGardner
01-21-2006, 11:49 AM
Jamie, you chose a very difficult shell to do and it came out wonderful!

Dianne

JamieWG
01-21-2006, 11:50 AM
I got that "why paint the photo?" thing too at school on the couple I was doing. Some get it...some don't. Those that get it think its very cool and a marketable concept. Those that don't get it..well, just don't get it!.................

So true, so true. I explained what I'd done over the phone to my mom, and she didn't get it either. LOL

Jamie

DLGardner
01-21-2006, 11:52 AM
I feel for you Jamie! I am going to try and keep some paints inside my car so I have them for those moments. The sky here has been doing some incredible things lately too and just yesterday I wished I had my paints in the car waiting at the Dr.s office! Its those storms when they are breaking up that are so gorgeous.

Dianne

JamieWG
01-21-2006, 12:10 PM
I feel for you Jamie! I am going to try and keep some paints inside my car so I have them for those moments. The sky here has been doing some incredible things lately too and just yesterday I wished I had my paints in the car waiting at the Dr.s office! Its those storms when they are breaking up that are so gorgeous.

Dianne

Dianne, I always keep a sketch bag with drawing things and watercolors, or a pochade box, in my car at all times, and a small sketchbook in my purse. They've bailed me out on a number of occasions. I didn't even try bringing oils to Florida because I knew how frustrated I'd be having them with me and not being able to use them due to family obligations!

Jamie