PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Cold Morning

Spyderbabe
01-18-2006, 03:47 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-18-2006/23281_Frozen_morning.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Frozen Cold Morning
Year Created: 2006
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11 x 14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Going for the 'trees are coated in ice' kind of morning.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
anything?

donn_granros
01-18-2006, 04:28 PM
Nice work. The picture flips in and out for me. I see a road, house and snow and then I see pilings along an ocean front with strom clouds ahead. Looking at your site I can see the relationship between your abstract and realistic work.

01-19-2006, 08:34 AM
I think the mountain merged with the sky, The frozen feel of the picture (I felt real cold after looking at it). Then again the reddishness in the sky is rather disturbing by my view.
Good work overall.

Spyderbabe
01-19-2006, 10:41 AM
Hi Donn- thanks for your kind words..... I always seem to walk a fine line between abstract and realistic.
Rahul, it gets real cold here. But I'm afraid that what is suppose to be tall trees coated in ice looks like a mountain.
I have a varnish that has mica flakes in it and I'm tempted to varnish the icy areas with it for a bit of sparkle... ...but I'm afraid it will look garish.

HRobinson
01-19-2006, 01:23 PM
Hi. My initial impression (even after reading the title) was... tsunami... owing much to the recent news and weather developments... but it's having nothing to do with evaluating this decades from now.

Don't get me wrong, I continue to revel in your impressions and strokes yet I feel sorry for you also in that you continue in your superfluity.

I apologize that this rhetoric may not be coincidental with those guidelines established for criticism, but you know me well enough don't you?

It is criticism. -Harry

Spyderbabe
01-19-2006, 01:59 PM
Ah Harry, the criticism is warranted. I still love you.
I guess you feel the mica varish wont help?

corfublue
01-19-2006, 03:14 PM
good directions in brushwork

Constellation
01-19-2006, 08:15 PM
You've made me shiver! Good job! Donna

Corby
01-20-2006, 01:16 AM
ah, the true spirit of winter! brrrrr... My only question is about the green trees, they do not have the silouette of evergreens, but if they were anything else they too would be leafless. Boy have you captured the spirit of every cold place I have ever lived and that's a lot! Good job.

glenn payan
01-20-2006, 02:46 AM
i also like the brushwork Kathleen. I am also confused by the cloud/water spray/wave/exploding pile of ice, behind the house. All I know is, yes the piece makes me feel cold and i wouldn't want to live there.

vhere
01-20-2006, 04:30 AM
The cold is bitterly cold and really well expressed - but the trees are too solid somehow, more of a solid summer silhouette - maybe that's how they look but it seems to me they should be more open with sky showing through?

Corby
01-20-2006, 09:36 AM
Do we get to make a second comment in regard to trees? Yes the glitter would be the very essence of 'tacky' (MO) I like the white trees behind the house. First of all I read it as a mountain and thought it a marvelous job of putting the trees in and revealing the earth under them. When every little twig on every tree gets covered with a thin layer of ice, they do all merge and become one entity. I think the painting is so well done that while I admire the work in it... I could not live with it...I hate the cold. The needed touch of relief is found in the sky.

Spyderbabe
01-20-2006, 03:22 PM
Very good point about that tall green tree CK !! I will have to change that.

When its this cold and the trees are coated in ice and snow the early morning sky is often white and pink and golden. Theres not a lot of contrast with the snow. I used a knife here and carved vertical shapes into the paint to suggest trees. But it may not have been enough.

I'll hold off on the mica varnish for now:angel:

Corby
01-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Yes, I thought you had done that I can see it but not plainly. Suggestion: a very dry brush using the foreground gray in your snow, drug lightly and repeatly across the trees will make them stand out as the ridges already there catch the new paint and hold on to it. A palette knife thinly loaded works this way as well....better than the brush in fact.

Spyderbabe
01-23-2006, 05:14 PM
I think adding the structure of some tree limbs helped... I also changed the shadows on the posts and chopped down the greenery..
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jan-2006/23281-Frozen_morning.jpg

Corby
01-24-2006, 12:30 AM
Beautiful painting!
But if you liked the stark reality of a bleak winter...it has been lost as first presented to us!
No mind! I like it either way and I am sure the public at large will appreciate it as well!

Zap
01-24-2006, 12:01 PM
I like your second rendition much better. The painting has spontenaity and energy. Well done.