GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Me (the square)
Year Created: 2006
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Wood
Dimension: 75 x 75cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
A self-portrait I did for our 10 hour gcse moc exam. I pixellated a picture on the pc and used it as a guide. I got an A overall woo

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything at all. Critiques are very welcome

T Christensen
01-18-2006, 01:05 PM
You deserved that "A"....this is great, 2 things that make it work for me is 1, the painting is so much better than the ref ...you went beyond the ref , did not duplicate. And 2, the crop and square canvas ...I guess there's a third, color choices are super.......awesome....TerryC

gaugin
01-18-2006, 01:44 PM
Agree nice color choices and well beyond the reference. But to have its stand on its own, I think you would need to suggest more of the features on the shadow side of the face, especially where the cast is next to the nose and the mouth. Just afew more selective dark squares. The tone and colors on the shadow side is just beautiful and shows a very sensitive selection.

Dhuot
01-18-2006, 02:52 PM
Very cool effect and colours :clap:
A la Chuck Close

corfublue
01-19-2006, 03:24 PM
Great Mixing of colours!
That is a great way to explore shapes and colour.
The eyes are my fav.
Perhaps because it is a concentrated blue.
It would be interesting to persue this idea,
with a limited palette,
and chose a colour that you realy want to pop.
Valerie

Crisis
01-20-2006, 01:00 PM
Thanks everyone.

Corfublue - I was actually inspired by a painting that I saw with that kind of style. I was a face screaming made of squares all in the same pink hue - very cool. "SCREAM" was printed down the side very largly but was easily missed as it was the same hue as the rest of the painting. I saw it at a colllege open evening and haven't found out who painted it but would like to thank them for the idea.

Grunge
01-20-2006, 04:19 PM
Hey Crisis! Glad to see that you are still around. I love this one! Great job!