PDA

View Full Version : Commission Quandary

paprika
01-17-2006, 05:01 PM
Hi folks,
I have a question that I'm hoping some of you talented people can help me with. A few days ago, a woman contacted me about doing a portrait of her 2 daughters as a birthday present for her husband. She would like me to paint the girls in a Bouguereau-type style in period dress. She sent me about a dozen good photos of the girls taken at different angles and in different settings and I'm supposed to make a work of art out of this....in soft pastel. I'm very familiar with Bouguereau's work, and I love it, but this is very intimidating to me. How the H E double-toothpicks am I supposed to do this? I'm not even sure where to start. And how am I supposed to measure up to someone like Bouguereau?

granddad
01-17-2006, 05:17 PM
not sure I can help you since I am to new, but I would assume that the lady knows your work. inform her you can do the daughters in period dress but in your own style not Bouguereau. You must be very good if your work even resembles Bouguereau, why not post an example. James

Artistammy
01-17-2006, 05:29 PM
Are you more concerned about making up the clothes or trying to copy Bouguereau's style? Have you done things from your head before? I don't think I'm very good at that kind of thing yet. Let us know what happens.
Tammy

RUNEMASTER
01-17-2006, 05:39 PM
No problem pay me to do it, and it will still be your idea.:):):)

maddy777
01-17-2006, 06:10 PM
Hiya,
have gone through your work and it is wonderful, also went and had a look at some of Bouguereau's which is also wonderful but different to yours.
So as James up there said tell your client that you are happy to do the period dress but it will be in your style.
Why be a 'copycat' when you are a talented artist in your own right?
mads:)

Tatijana
01-17-2006, 06:36 PM
hi:D
I too looked up your work as well as that of Bouguereau and came to the conclusion that whatever this client receives from you will, she/they will be satisfied. Your work is beautiful.. Little Ava and her sister are just wonderful pieces
clap:
tj

HarvestMoon
01-17-2006, 10:07 PM
Boy- you got me- but I bet you can do just as well if you give it a shot... but before you do all that work can you get some sort of prepaid agreement if she ends up being a wee bit picky?
Linda

paprika
01-18-2006, 08:41 AM
The period clothes, I'm not too worried about. I can do that (I think). I'm just worried she'll look at Bouguereau and then at what I come up with and be disappointed with my work. I'm not THAT good.
It's probably just my own insecurities talking. Here I am getting paid for my work and I'm just worried that the client won't get what she paid for.
It's a snow day here in Northern New England and I promised I'd do some sketches and get them to her.
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone.

Kathryn Wilson
01-18-2006, 06:34 PM
See how the sketches go - then if there is not a meeting of the minds, part ways. I think it is sad when a client asks an artist to paint like someone else - you have your own style, so be true to yourself.