PDA

View Full Version : Still life set-up

RUNEMASTER
01-16-2006, 11:25 PM
Looking for some feedback on materials to set up a still life.not the actual fruit oor whatever, but cloth, stands, or anything .Just need ideas as to items i can reuse over , and over again.

Thanks.

dlake
01-17-2006, 01:07 AM
have you got a little resale shop somewhere. Like a junk shop where everything is kinda in a natural state and piled up and costs like a quarter. those would be great places to go to just get ideas for something in a still life. something that has a broken handle or is rusted a bit. For effect.

Barrynotlarry
01-17-2006, 01:12 AM
Yes dlake is right about the flea market, junk shop. I go to the thrift stores and good wills about one time a week.
I would check out some of the post I have seen on W.C. on how to set up a still life with a box and a single light source, I tried this and it worked nicely.
Barry

prettytulips
01-17-2006, 03:09 AM
I've seen people use a large cardboard box as an enclosure and they drape cloth inside of it using tacks and then use a light source. Imagine a puppet show for a kid and then set up accordingly with subject matter.

Kathryn Wilson
01-17-2006, 09:52 AM
Check out the Still Life Project - there is an Article attached as a link to the Project that describes how to make the light box.

dlake
01-17-2006, 09:58 AM
I have a picture of setting up. It's in one of my garden books!??! showing how to photograph or paint your flowers. It's just like tulips said.

RUNEMASTER
01-17-2006, 10:44 AM
Thanks everyone.great tips.

Artistammy
01-17-2006, 10:54 AM
I look for old linens (napkins, tablecloths, dresser scarves, fabric) at garage sales & estate sales to use. Also, if you have a theme in mind, you can watch out for those kind of items. I've used shower curtains, heard of using wall paper samples too, for backgrounds.
Tammy

silverhalo
01-17-2006, 11:52 PM
I always like a "natural" set-up, or kind of a theme.... this is totally a personal preference, though. :) Like, for example, a picnic set-up: checkered cloth, traditional woven picnic basket, etc. Or a nice breakfast scene: jar of jam, knives/forks, fresh fruits, etc!