PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing Inexpensive frames

RUNEMASTER
01-16-2006, 11:23 PM
One problem with Pastels is what to do with them.I wonder if anyone knows where i can get frames to accomodate 9.5 by 12.5 la carte paper.prefereably matted , but not necessary.i can get frames out here for about 9 bucs.But id like to get frames cheaper if i could.maybe plastic ones or something.Thanks.

dlake
01-17-2006, 01:09 AM
I saw an article in I think pastel journal about refurbishing old frames. I'd think somewhere like a salvation army or goodwill store would have really cheap frames.

RUNEMASTER
01-17-2006, 10:39 AM
Wow! great tip.

HarvestMoon
01-17-2006, 10:44 AM
hobby lobby has internet only coupons weekly- like for 40% off any one item- they very frequently run specials on frames though- i know professional artists who wait until they are 1/2 off then they buy a lot.... one framer, after I dropped my jaw that his framing price would be 200 times what I could sell my piece for, recommended going to Michael's and buying things already framed- cheap posters, etc. they are closing out- and taking out the art to use yourself....

bluefish
01-17-2006, 06:54 PM
Someone on another thread said she goes to the dollar store, buys frames, takes the photo out and substitues her pastel - can't get any cheaper than that. Michael's has 16x20 framed art on sale this week for $6.00 - I'm sure the smaller sizes would be cheaper yet.

khourianya
01-17-2006, 07:01 PM
9 X 12 is such an oddball size and it is harder to find frames to those dimensions since most inexpensive frames are made for photographs and photo developing is done in 4 X 6, 5 X 7, 8 X 10, 11 X 14 and so on and most artist paopers aren't.

You could try a plein air frame place since they sell ready made frames in standard art-paper sizes.

Another option might be to check Walmart. I have seen inexpensive frames in 9 X 12 there before. That would work for unmatted pieces. Other than that - you might be looking at cutting your own mats to save money or tracking down a framer who can cut you a deal on mass mat cutting.

I went through all of my paper a while back and pre-cut it to standard frame sizes. Makes it much easier to just grab a piece, paint and then pop it into a frame instead of making a 9 X 12 work in an 8 X 10 frame.

silverhalo
01-17-2006, 11:38 PM
I always buy my frames from online catalogues (Dickblick.com and Aswexpress.com, to name a few), and the prices can be surprisingly cheap... and I'm an Ebay junkie as well. :D I've found some of the best deals around online!

But if you're working with an odd size like 9.5 by 12.5, you could maybe try buying those custom "section frames" that you put together, like these:
http://www.dickblick.com/categories/framing%2Dsections/

The ones with deep rabbets work quite well for pastels! :)

RUNEMASTER
01-17-2006, 11:42 PM
Thank you.:)

scall0way
01-18-2006, 12:51 PM
The only problem I've seen with ordering frames online (at least the places recommended to me for good prices) was that they would not ship glass with the frames, which means buying the glass would be another expense and extra step. I'm trying to do my artwork in standard sizes. Currently my favorite size is 11x14 as I can get a pre-cut double mat with a 10 1/2 x 13 1/2 opening for only a few bucks, and then can get a standard frame to fit the outer dimensions (I forget if the outer dimension is 14x18 or 16x20, but have found both frames available. AC Moore is a place near me that has inexpesive frames and often have 50% off sales. I bought a number of frames there at a half-off in the fall.

However I can't frame too many of my pictures as they would then take up far too much room and I would have nowhere to put them, so I've taken to just covering them in glassine paper and stuffing them in a drawer.

However both my current art teachers say I am working too small and should use larger support, and both want me to go up to at least 18x24 or better, so what do I do with those? LOL. Far too big to fit in my drawer, and far too expensive to frame!

bluefish
01-18-2006, 01:52 PM
Sell them - it eliminates the storage problem!