PDA

View Full Version : Dianna

Michael-Ann
01-16-2006, 11:12 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-16-2006/37079_wc-dianna.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-16-2006/37079_wc-dianna-detail.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Dianna
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Howdy folks! Been awhile since I last posted (again)... working on a lot of paintings lately, utilizing this type of style. Lots of pallet knife, white-over-colors and scratching away...sort of sculpting the painting as I go.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I guess I'm wondering what you all think of this mostly...anything goes really.

Also wanting to break out of my quiet spell and say Hello.

corfublue
01-17-2006, 12:35 AM
They say a good painting is like a sculpture and a good sculpture is like a painting.
I think this is a good example of that.
The good thing about getting your hands dirty is you mix colours in a sophisticated way without having to think about it too much.
I like this direction of yours.
keep playing with the spaces.
Valerie

gaugin
01-17-2006, 01:09 AM
I really like the somber and melancholy of her expression. The textures are very nice and like the way they become nearly marble or chiseled through her drapery.
I did think however , she was flipping me the bird. You may want to look closer at that.
Or maybe you donít. :evil:

Dhuot
01-17-2006, 01:21 AM
:wave: Hi Michael-Ann :)

This painting has so much beautiful rich colours .i.e ; the green wall !!
She is beautiful :clap:

Her face and red cheeks are purty , and love that hint of green on the forehead :)

One of the last work I've seen from you was a beautiful redhead !!
And now, this

Nice dropping by :music:

Michael-Ann
01-17-2006, 11:42 AM
Hi Valerie, Gaugin, and Daniel! Valerie I really like that saying, "They say a good painting is like a sculpture and a good sculpture is like a painting" - very cool :)

I am glad that you all like this direction, especially because it is a fun way to paint AND without using any turpentine, I don't have much in the way of fumes and can paint in the house without bothering anyone!

Gaugin, there was no intent on "the bird" thing - but i like it! :)

Hello Daniel! :D I love the color too! Red is the color du jour!

Thank you all bunches!

donn_granros
01-17-2006, 12:18 PM
Good work. It has a sort of pensive quality about it, lots of feeling. nice.

Michael-Ann
01-17-2006, 02:45 PM
Thank you Don!

sugar tree gal
01-17-2006, 08:53 PM
Michael-Ann.. Long time... Hey girl I really am liking this, wow... I tried something a little bit like this, did you use white paint or gesso? mine looked like white paint over a picture! couldn't get the texture to look right.. did you use a knife? More? :) Janice

Michael-Ann
01-17-2006, 10:00 PM
Hi Janice! :) I started with a brush-painted sketch that i let dry, then with the knife added touches of straight rich color in areas i wanted shaded, then come back over the top (wet-on-wet) with titanium white, blending and scratching and pulling color where I want it to come through... I enjoy the heck out of painting this way! It is done mostly with a knife like you suspected :)