PDA

View Full Version : Winter Barn WIP

mipleinair
01-16-2006, 02:39 PM
This is studio painting that I am working on. Its about halfway done, I want to let the forground tack up a little and work more on the weeds and snow. The more I look at the photo of the painting I am wondering if the backround trees need softer edges or if its just the photo.
Winter Barn 16by20 oil on linen
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jan-2006/73667-winter_barn1.jpg

Katherine T
02-26-2006, 05:51 AM
Did you have a plein air reference?

brendajacobs
02-28-2006, 04:57 PM
I think you are right on softening up the trees. It will make your subject the barn stand out more and make them appear further in the distance.

Londondeon
03-22-2006, 11:41 AM
Great start. I have doctored it a little, but not sure it is an improvement. How about more sky holes in the trees. Brightening the snow with blue and more white. I used the blue you had used in the sky to create shadows on the snow. I think a little show on the roof would help too. I was unsure of the direction of light in the piece, but pop up some of the shadows along the eaves some more and cast some shadows in the field too.

Hope this helps.

Londondeon

brianc
04-11-2006, 07:24 AM
Michael,

I really like your trees. I agree with Londoneon's suggestion of warmer brighter colors nearby to pull the foreground closer. I understand the suggestion to blur/soften the trees, and it will push them into the distance, yet I'm reluctant to recommend that as a first choice because you've done such a splendid job on them. Can I recommend you first push your values up front and see; and then if it needs more, then do the distant trees. If you do the trees, in addition to blurring/softening them, blue them a little. This will also help push them.

- Brian

mipleinair
04-14-2006, 11:46 PM
I see that this painting has been brought back up in the formum. I really appreaciate all of the coments. I think there are some great sugestions. Unfortunelty I put this painting in my junk pile and it will probally be painted over soon. I just don't feel like this painting has alot of life to it but it was a good learning expiernce.
Mike