PDA

View Full Version : The Mother of Invention

gfwolf
01-15-2006, 06:53 PM
No Purples, I’m not referring to Zappa. It was more like frustration combined with a sense of necessity to do more pastels.

This weekend was extremely nice for this time of year in eastern Colorado so I decided to improvise and go outside to try some more pastels. I am preparing to set up a studio when a sunroom is completed on the south side of my house, but I have been frustrated waiting and trying to do pastels using a clipboard sitting on my lap with an old bedsheet underneath to catch the dust.
I have bought a Sorg easel but it is stored in the box, in the barn, until the sunroom is finishedand I have not yet bought a French easel.

I taped my canson paper and the ref photo to an unopened magnet board and used a iron planter stand on the porch as the easel. I placed a planter behind the board to push it against the edge of the stand (I even got a forward tilt by doing this). It was set up to the south so I had north light, I used a patio chair to set on and a small patio table to hold the pastel pencils and a beverage. I had a great time, especially enjoyed being able to stand back and look at it from a distance (it looks pretty good from 20 ft away). Forecast is for snow tomorrow so I will probably have to wait until the sunroom is done to try some more.

Wolfie

dlake
01-15-2006, 07:02 PM
Wolfie, It look wonderful to another deep freeze bound northerner. I like your invention. If you get too frustrated while wait talk to my husband. He's known for rigging up things and making them work and do well. He made me an easel out of old wood. Trying to get him to make me a french easel. But, it works.
In the meantime, I hope you find comfortable ways to do art.
How long do you think until your studio is up? Is your porch heated or open? Maybe a spare room or even a spare space somewhere? I use a couple old rugs - much more comfortable than a sheet.
I look at your picture and love it.

Bringer
01-15-2006, 07:04 PM
Hi,

This seems to be quite good.
Those are Carb Othelos, right ?
There's only a shop here with those and it's up in the North.
Besides they don't have sets.

Regards,

José

dlake
01-15-2006, 07:43 PM
Jose, you are in the same fix as I am. The closest art store is an hour away. It's a matter of hit and miss ordering. That's why I'm always asking people what they think or have, ect. There is a girl in my art class that has Faber Castell pencils and she let me try them. They are really nice. Very easy.
Diane

Bringer
01-15-2006, 09:11 PM
Hi Diane,

Altough I buy lots of stuff here, I also buy from USA since they're much cheaper than here.
Just to give you an idea, while a Rembrandt 40 ml oil painting tube can cost 4.25 dollars (more or less 3.60 Euro). Here is costs between 6 to 6.80 Euro.
And if one takes in account that the average wage here is around 700 Euro/month (around 830 dollars) then you see that being an artist can be complicated :-)

Regards,

José

dlake
01-15-2006, 09:20 PM
Wow. How sad that art supplies are so prohibitive. I would think art supplies would be more reasonable as it seems the arts are appreciated where you live. At least these days artists have the internet to scrounge supplies. lol. Even though Art supplies are readily available, some places, like the Rockford area in Illinois, we have lots of people who are artists and love to do thier art but, no art store. That's where the internet is so helpful for information as well and getting the stuff!! One of the best inventions ever.

gfwolf
01-15-2006, 10:16 PM
Hi dlake,
The idea of old rugs instead of a bedsheet sounds like a good idea. It would be smaller and hold the dust better. The porch is on the east side of the house and is open. I was just lucky it was so unseasonably warm this weekend.
The sunroom is supposed to be finished by the first part of February. The subcontractor has been dinking around with digging the foundation for 3 weeks but no cement has been poured. It was been fairly warm and dry all that time and now that it is supposed to snow they are talking about pouring it this week. I live up off the road and enjoy my privacy so I will really be glad when the construction is all over with.

Hi Jose,
The pastel pencils are CarbOthello. I have been trying to do a WIP of an Oriental vase and Cherries that Dianna Ponting posted and she talked about them in the WIP so I thought I would try them. This was the first time I have used them. I also have a set of Derwent pastel pencils. I like that the Derwent pencils have three values for most of the colors but I am undecided which set I like better. When I get into the studio I am going to try the regular soft pastels I have purchased, but for right now I am only using nu-pastels and pastel pencils.

Wolfie

Khadres
01-15-2006, 10:37 PM
Wolfie, another Coloradan!? Wow, for the longest time there were hardly any of us on here! We're having warm, dry weather down this way too. Guess we can't complain as long as the mtns. get their share, but....

Neat makeshift easel and lovely painting by the look of it!

dlake
01-16-2006, 10:06 AM
Wolf, yes, do get out some old rugs. They are so much better and you can move around without bunching stuff up. This spring I'm going to look for a bigger one at a garage sale. It's a pity your porch isn't enclosed with windows that open up for in the summer. It looks like an ideal spot to not only paint but, to get inspired by the beauty of your area. And the lighting...well, it would be great. I do hope you get your place to paint soon. Keep us updated.

HarvestMoon
01-16-2006, 11:33 AM
Wolfie- pretty bummed about Zappa, but got to listen to John Prine a lot yesterday, which was good (the Prine part anyway). Well, looks like your invention worked- now you can just return that old nasty Sorg Easel right??? We are- of course- still wearing short sleeves here- and drove up to dallas, over to arlington, back to irving then through austin- and then home- everywhere huge state warnings for extreme fire danger... I spent 7 weeks in colorado for geology field camp, and several weeks off and on since then- and someday I am going to pack my stuff and head that way i think- until it drops below 60. BTW Sooz- the tower was all lit up last night again- hit that part of town right as the big celebration party was breaking up....
Linda

dlake
01-16-2006, 12:37 PM
Linda, you are so lucky. Thought I'd be gracious in the fact that you are wearing short sleeves and we are here in the frozen tundra of the north. I'll try to be big about it and not tell you that you are a brat. lol
Diane

gfwolf
01-16-2006, 01:55 PM
Hi dlake,
Right now everything is brown so it does not look so beautiful. The sunroom is going in on the south and so far the view to south is all pastures, no buildings, so it should be nice to look out the windows.
The bad part is the sunroom is going to be attached to the house so there will be no north light. I am too new to art to know if this will be a big problem or not, but I keep hearing north light is best.

Hi Sooz,
I haven’t been down your way for about 30 years but I thought it was a nice area back then. I am sure it has grown a lot since then. We did not get any snow last night or this morning and the sun is out now. Sounds like the storm went south so I suppose you got some? If it were not for the fire danger and winter wheat I would be happy to leave the snow up in the mountains (rain is always welcome). With all the snow in the mountains this year there should be plenty of water for next summer (unless it floods in the runoff).

Hey Purples,
Oh great, that’s all we need up here, another Texan! (joke):evil:
Was your road trip a raid to pillage every art store and Lowes on the route?:D
Where was your geology field trip in Colorado? In the late 60’s I went to the Colorado School of Mines in Golden and there are lots of interesting formations around there. There is also lots of interesting geology around Sooz’s area.
If the sun is shining and there is no wind it can be 30 around here and still seem warm (The humidity is low compared to Illinois, don’t know about Texas.)

Wolfie

dlake
01-16-2006, 02:15 PM
I'm new and old. I got more serious a few years ago so you could say I'm new. I have no clue which light is best. I always figured if you have good light great. I doubt the sunroom will cause problems. But, as for scenery, come to northcentral Illinois and I'll show you awful scenery. So unispiring though if you go about an hour north you run into some really pretty scenery there in Wisconsin.

HarvestMoon
01-16-2006, 02:54 PM
Wolfie
yeah, I know how you guys feel about texans- you never quite got over it when a texan was going to purchase a big chunk of your state to make it an official texas state park did you???? and yikes- a school of miners grad- PLEASE.... spare me.... :eek: our field camp was based in Salida if I recall the name correctly- sort of near Leadville.... they had held it there for about 20 years- after our class- for some reason they were never invited back- odd how that worked out... I had that happen a lot- riots started wherever I traveled- or huge protests, or things went bang- go figure... we actually did get some work done- froze our butts off trying to do mapping in shorts and t-shirts when SNOW hit (we thought it must be raining syrofoam... except our fingers were blue).... fun dancing in cripple creek in those old fashioned 20 pound field boots- with nothing but old mine shafts underneath..... the floor was quaking...good thing they had the drinking age set to 18 back then. anyway- many fond memories- not of the geology really - but the other stuff... yeah, we went up to Soozes area... all I know about windows is this- in texas- no matter how wonderful the view is to the WEST- DON'T put any windows there....
cheers,
Linda

PS- where is loveland? is that some sort of hippy type commune? I am going to start one someday- but it may end up being a geriatric facility....

gfwolf
01-16-2006, 04:16 PM
Purples,
Well your reply explains a lot. A lot of the colors in your paintings remind me of the west coast psychedelic posters from the late 60’s.
It sounds like we spent similar youths. If this is true all I can say is “Shame on you!”. At least now you know what not to let your kids do.:evil:
I went to Mines for 3/1/2 years and might have graduated but they opened a 3.2 beer joint on campus when I was a freshman and well.., you know. :cool:
Your field trip was to a great part of Colorado, although it is known for having about a 3 week summer. Snow on the 4th of July is not uncommon.
Loveland is located about midway between Denver and Cheyenne on the eastern slope of Colorado. It’s big claim to fame is probably that every year they design a rubber stamp called a ‘cachet’? which they stamp on valentine cards that people mail in. I would try to find one from past years on the internet but the stamp always includes a drawing of ‘Dan Cupid’ who is only clad in a cowboy hat and chaps and if I posted it here I would probably need to give the thread the bare butt sign.
Loveland is not a hippy commune but there some up and down the front range of Colorado. Netherland comes to mind and west of Fort Collins is Rist canyon which used known for the hippy population. I used to visit friends what lived up there. There was, and still is, a bar on the Poudre River called the Mishawaka Inn which sounds lot like your Cripple Creek place. The dance floor went out the back patio over the river and when the place got hopping everyone would go stomping across the floor and it would shake like it was about to fall in. Ah the good old days.:o

Wolfie

HarvestMoon
01-16-2006, 04:51 PM
Wolf- packing my bags.... yeah, that graduation thing happened to a lot of UT folks too.... only they usually just last one semester!!! if you did not GRADUATE from mines, you are still in my will LOL.... Wow- love to have those stamps!
Linda

gfwolf
01-17-2006, 12:15 AM
Hey Purples,
One last thing.
I got to thinking about my geology classes and Mines tonight and all I could remember was a couple of things.
One was a 10 point system for measuring the hardness of a rock with talc being 1.
The other was they made us buy a Brunton compass so we could measure the “dips and strikes” (seems like “dips and strikes” were also mentioned in some obscure verse of the school song). I probably still have the compass stuck away somewhere and figured it was about as outdated as my oiled, split-bamboo, adjustable crosshair, leather cased (with belt loop!) K&E slide rule. But when I googled it I’ll be danged if they aren’t still selling Brunton compasses today. I figure you must have been a Geology student if you were on a 7 week summer camp so can you tell if those things are used for anything but tormenting students?

Wolfie

HarvestMoon
01-17-2006, 10:54 AM
Hey Purples,
One last thing.
I got to thinking about my geology classes and Mines tonight and all I could remember was a couple of things.
One was a 10 point system for measuring the hardness of a rock with talc being 1.
The other was they made us buy a Brunton compass so we could measure the “dips and strikes” (seems like “dips and strikes” were also mentioned in some obscure verse of the school song). I probably still have the compass stuck away somewhere and figured it was about as outdated as my oiled, split-bamboo, adjustable crosshair, leather cased (with belt loop!) K&E slide rule. But when I googled it I’ll be danged if they aren’t still selling Brunton compasses today. I figure you must have been a Geology student if you were on a 7 week summer camp so can you tell if those things are used for anything but tormenting students?

Wolfie

Ah- that would be the Mohs hardness scale of relative hardness- 7 is quartz, 10 is diamond. I cannot believe even the MINES had dips and strikes in their school song- yipes!!! Yes, I hate Brunton compasses, probably are worth a bunch still....but they are still used when mapping surface formations- you can measure the angel of dip (tilt) of a rock formation or fault or the strike (which way does it go...)- the terms usually apply a lot more to faults though- thank God the only surface mapping I did was at field camp- where the guys check out the girls with the aledade magnification when they go off to find a nice shrubbery instead of a girl's room.... I got out of school during an oil boom, when they needed a few token women, and have a geology degree, but was trained to be a geophysicist (and the geologists made sure I could do real petroleum geology too)- there were not many folks back then with a geophysics degree- so they hired geologists who could comprehend physics, or physicists who could never comprehend geology LOL, and converted them... so all my career was involved in subsurface mapping of one form or another- would much rather work with seismic data and log data than running up and down hills with that silly compass.... I dumped my cool slide rules long ago.... computers took a lot of fun out of the job- the hand drawn maps WERE works of art!
Linda

gfwolf
01-17-2006, 02:15 PM
Ah- that would be the Mohs hardness scale of relative hardness- 7 is quartz, 10 is diamond. I cannot believe even the MINES had dips and strikes in their school song- yipes!!! Yes, I hate Brunton compasses, probably are worth a bunch still....but they are still used when mapping surface formations- you can measure the angel of dip (tilt) of a rock formation or fault or the strike (which way does it go...)- the terms usually apply a lot more to faults though- thank God the only surface mapping I did was at field camp- where the guys check out the girls with the aledade magnification when they go off to find a nice shrubbery instead of a girl's room.... I got out of school during an oil boom, when they needed a few token women, and have a geology degree, but was trained to be a geophysicist (and the geologists made sure I could do real petroleum geology too)- there were not many folks back then with a geophysics degree- so they hired geologists who could comprehend physics, or physicists who could never comprehend geology LOL, and converted them... so all my career was involved in subsurface mapping of one form or another- would much rather work with seismic data and log data than running up and down hills with that silly compass.... I dumped my cool slide rules long ago.... computers took a lot of fun out of the job- the hand drawn maps WERE works of art!
Linda

Whoa, a Geophysicist!:eek: Purples, I am humbled. Where is a bowing smilie when you need one. Seriously I am impressed. I am sure that you were hired for more than being a token.
I figure you are younger than I am but probably not by more than 10 years. During my whole stay at Mines from 1968 to 1972 the total coed population ranged between 5 to 8 (and they all had to stay in one house on campus!). Female nerds were hard to come by back then.:D
Mines was also big into petroleum, I was in the Chemical Engineering program but the degree was Chemical and Petroleum Refining Engineering (no plain old CE degree allowed).
Later ended up with a Chemistry Degree from Colorado State University.
Wolfie

HarvestMoon
01-18-2006, 03:10 PM
Wolfie- don't get me started on Chemistry LOL....3 years of the pure stuff, 1 year of lab aid, and one year of Geochemistry were enough for me... my father in law was a chemical engineer - has now retired. Yes, were not many girls in the geek arts.... I graduated in 1980, but of course have not aged a day LOL. But it really was true that you had to do twice as much work to be accepted as half as good. I made it a habit to learn everything about everything- like all the parts of a drilling rig, all the tools, all the bits... how to do sidewall cores- all sorts of stuff that was not in the least part of my job. I really did work 80 hour weeks. Sadly, most of the guys were great, but the women that worked in lesser positions could backstab really well... more recently, have found a lot of the younger women just took everything for granite (geology joke, sorry) and stabbed me in the back as well so they would not have any 'competition'.

I once got a speeding ticket (ok, one of many) and the guy asked what my occupation was.... then he asked me to spell it... then he said- mam'..if I could spell that word I would have a better job than this... we both were rolling....
Linda

CM Neidhofer
01-18-2006, 03:20 PM
:wave: Hi Wolfie, from another Coloradan! I'm down here in Englewood. I go to Loveland a lot. My best friend lives there. Was just there this past weekend.

Christine

gfwolf
01-18-2006, 10:41 PM
Hi Purples,

The speeding ticket story really had me laughing. You have a good sense of humor.

Hi Christine,
I had to go all the way back to September to see some of your paintings. You have a very nice style.
We have had a mild winter to travel up and down the front range.
I see you signed up for the Terry Ludwig pastel packing project. I also signed up for it. Hope the weather is nice on the date they set. Hope to meet you there.

Wolfie