PDA

View Full Version : Madonna 2000 B.C. a strange one

max nelson
02-05-2002, 08:10 PM
A little strange, a little unorthodox and unlike anything I've done before. This started with absolutely no idea of what I was going to make. Just had a lump of wet clay, shaping by hand and it started to look somewhat like a torso. There was no brain input..it just happened like you see it. This is the worst pic but gives the best overall view of the figures movement. Actually, I couldn't get any image that looked good..maybe there is no good image in this.:D I fired the figure about 2 years ago and it just sat in the studio collecting dust and the ocassional giggle (or worse..a huge guffaw) when someone saw it. A few weeks ago I decided to make a base for it (plaster), put a little shoe polish and some stain on both, epoxed them together and this is the result. I said it was odd!!!:p There is no comment that you can make that would be any crueler than what my friends have already made..so have at it.:D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2002/Mbc_full_fv.jpg
Next pic gives a view of the texture I put on just one side of the figure to make it look ancient.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2002/Mbc_RV4.jpg
This is a close up of the plaster base
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2002/ModananaBC_base.jpg
A side view..still can't see much detail due to pic quality
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2002/Mbc_RV.jpg
And just to make ya'll feel bad (if you're shoveling snow) I took it outside to enjoy some fine Arizona sunshine
:D :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2002/Mbc_outside.jpg

That was meeeaan! Sorry:p

MKathleen
02-05-2002, 09:52 PM
Hi Max,

When I discribed myself to you I had a totally different body shape in mind:evil: That is the last time I ever discuss my shape with you :evil: :D :angel: Please cancel my portrait commission and refund my deposit:evil:

Best I Think,
Kathy:evil: :D :p

shadow_f
02-05-2002, 09:52 PM
Hi Max,

Just bury it in a place where there a chance some archeologist find it in the next couple of years. When they do, enjoy the discussions and the theories about it's origins.
I envy the no snow situation

shadow_f

max nelson
02-05-2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by MKathleen
Hi Max,

Please cancel my portrait commission and refund my deposit:evil:

Best I Think,
Kathy:evil: :D :p

How do they say that in chat speak..ROTFLMAO..or words to that effect.:D Sorry, no refunds. You said nothing about flattery..so ya got to take it as is.:p

A friends wife happened to see this some time ago and let out a yelp and turned her head. In my best straight voice I asked..'Don't you like it?' My God no, she said. It looks like my mother NEKKED!!!!:D So you see..I'm used to the rejection:crying:

Max:D

max nelson
02-05-2002, 10:23 PM
Shadow..that sounds like an idea. But wait, no, it has Kathys name on it. Do you suppose anyone would get wise if I ground that part off? Or would that be a give away that it was a fake?
Hmmmmn..will have to give that some thought.
Max:D

Yielding
02-06-2002, 07:02 AM
Max - All I can say is that my computer screen cracked down the middle when I opened the thread...I fell back trying to get away from the horrid image....hit my head on the table...knocked over the plant on the table....that scared my two cats....they ran all over the house knocking over other things.... took me an hour to clean up the mess.:cat:

I think this would be a good sculpture to send to the David Letterman show... you know when he troughs things off a 10 story building and then films it hitting the ground below. Now that would be something:cool:

All in good fun:)

Yielding

diane555
02-06-2002, 09:49 AM
Hey Max

This made my mornin :D

You said nothing about flattery.. Was that flattery or fattery ?

Hehehe I have to say one thing for you Max...You are definitely one of those sculptors who needs to have a plan I think!! Actually, all fun aside, I really do like the base. Please go into some detail and tell us how to make one?? Vey cool. Almost makes her look as though she's coming up out of one of those texas dust storms I used to see in the old B&W tv shows. LOL And I keep hearing about this shoe polish thing...what kind and how to pls?

And just to make ya'll feel bad (if you're shoveling snow) I took it outside to enjoy some fine Arizona sunshine
Nasty nasty. You have things growing there that I've never seen before and I didn't notice any of that green stuff you want Bucko to come and mow either!

Thanks for sharing this by the way...It really isn't all that bad - the trouble is, we all know what you're really capable of doing :)

Di

Bendaini
02-06-2002, 11:46 AM
My mother naked?!?!?!
ya know... that would pass for my mom naked too... THAT is scary. What were you doing peeping in my moms windows????

Honsetly, i bet if you got a couple more like this and took them to an abstract art gallery they would be exalted. I've seen stranger things displayed.

How tall is it?

max nelson
02-07-2002, 07:19 PM
Ya'll are tougher than a New York Times art critic!!!! ...and I thought my 'other' friends were cruel.:D

Yielding..lol..sorry bout the TV and the cat. Letterman and a 10 story building...now that IS cruel. Now you've gone and made Bendaini and my friends mother cry.

Di..FATTERY..I think you just coined a new word. Can I use it?
I DID have a plan, it just wasn't a very good one:D As to kind of shoe polish...brown:D
O.K. after all the mean things you guys said I don't know if I should tell you about the base (but, reluctantly here tis)
Made a leg armature out of wire mesh. Poured plaster into a plastic butter container (or something like that..don't member) and stuck the armature in while wet. Then just buttered more plaster on til had the rough shape. When dry or near dry carved, banged, hammered and chiseled to rough out some more. Still wasn't satisfied so soaked some cheese cloth in plaster and wrapped around. Used some acrylics watered down and some old cement color to tone a bit. And there..you have the long and short of it. Oh yea, and brown shoe polish hehe.

Crissy..Pleeeease don't tell your mom.:D

This has been a gas. You guys really came thru with the 'vicious' comments. Now didn't that feel good to say:D :D
Max:)

diane555
02-15-2002, 06:03 PM
Can't seem to help myself....but I had to have another look at this girl. I think I am kind of liking this now. hmmm My tastes..they is a changin' in my old age. At first I thought this was a large piece but now I see it is sitting on a table...what size please? Oh, and about the shoe polish - I meant what kind as in paste or liquid..... "brown" LOL LOL

Have a good one
Di

jackddavis
02-16-2002, 04:22 PM
I don't care what everyone else says.......I like it. Should be a real conversation starter. Deserves a prominent display place.

max nelson
02-18-2002, 05:39 PM
Di..ok, about the shoe polish..it's just paste. You can also use liquid wax if you want a high gloss. Bruno uses the liquid over dyes or colors on some of his works. And about 'taste, they is a changing' this one reminds me of the song..'the girls all get prettier at closing time'

Jack..re "I LIKE IT" I can only say that if I ever become President you will we awarded an Ambassadorship to any country you desire. Yessir, you do have the diplomacy, not to mention a wierd taste.:D :D Actually, once it was finished even my wife liked it and she was one of the loudest critics before.

So to all you 'meanies' :p :p This one has been fun..I love the slings.

Max:)

onefromheaven
02-18-2002, 06:40 PM
Max, I have really enjoyed this thread.:D :D and through it have developed a fondness for the 'madonna' as well. :D Who has more fun!! thanks for the 'share'. All the best.