PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get used to Painter IX Artist Oils but..

cunparis
01-15-2006, 03:44 PM
.. I just don't like them! I think it's a good start but there is some more improvements to be made. There is a serious problem with the impasto, sometimes if I paint at a lower opacity I get a totally clear impasto. Yuk! If I don't use the impasto, my colors end up looking very flat. I tried the color variation but that doesn't work with artist oils, a real bummer. When using the color variation with the acrylics the results are disappointing as the variation appears across the brushstroke instead of along or in a random pattern. So back to Artist Oils, I've been experimenting with the multicolor dropper, but what this does is put long multicolored stripes in the paint. If dirty mode is off, then the long stripes stay that way for each new stroke. If dirty mode is on, then the colors mix together so quick that the variation is gone right away. Real oils, which don't mix so easily, tend to hold the variation much longer.

I purchased my Wacom in order to use Painter, so that I could use the same technique I use for acrylic & oil painting but on the computer. But I'm now starting to think that's probably not possible. I'm now thinking that techniques for digital art are very different. So I'm open to learning a bit here if I can just end up with a painting that looks like a real painting. So if anyone has any advice on using artist oils and getting them to behave like real oils (or acrylics) and looks like real oils (or acrylics) I'm very intested. I'll post some work once I get better at this.

Thanks,
Michael

LadyAlba
01-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Well Welcome Michael :wave: and I am with you I don't care for the Artists Oils either ..... mainly because I can't seem to get them to work for me and I don't care for the shape of the brush to me it is hard to control. Now there are some here that get amazing work out of them so hopefully someone with alot of knowledge with them will start a learning thread and we can all get a handle on those brushes. :cat:

jhercilia
01-15-2006, 04:39 PM
I know what you mean and your frustration. It happens at the begining with Painter. Take a look at these examples that I made with Artist's Oils. Its is a matter of tweeking your brushes.
http://janetgarcia.com/tutorial_kassidy.htm

http://janetgarcia.com/tutorial_kyja.htm

This one with Acrylics:
http://janetgarcia.com/tutorial_nina.htm

cunparis
01-15-2006, 05:52 PM
Well Welcome Michael :wave: and I am with you I don't care for the Artists Oils either ..... mainly because I can't seem to get them to work for me and I don't care for the shape of the brush to me it is hard to control. Now there are some here that get amazing work out of them so hopefully someone with alot of knowledge with them will start a learning thread and we can all get a handle on those brushes. :cat:

You remind me of a good point, the "flat" brush form. I was trying acrylic & oil just to get a round brush. I don't know why the only brush available for artist oils is flat.. well I guess filbert too. I have a hard time controlling it too, I use almost exclusively rounds in real painting.

I'm glad I'm not the only one frustrated and disappointed with artist oils. But I hear good things about them so I hope it's just a necessary learning curve and someone here can help us out. I don't mind the acrylics & oils brushes if I can just get them to be more lively and less flat. In fact I think the acrylics "thick opaque acrylic 30" flows very nicely.

-Michael

jhercilia
01-15-2006, 06:40 PM
Michael, you can creat your own round brush using the capture brush feature and then assigning the options you want for it, like the degree of impasto, how separate you want the 'hairs', how much paint it will grab, how it will blend etc etc.

cunparis
01-18-2006, 02:51 AM
The Parrot WIP is incredible so that and my dissatisfaction with Painter convinced me to download ArtRage. From the first few strokes I could tell the paint has a much better oil paint feel to it. The Artist Oils in Painter feel all mechanical and look that way too, with squares visible on large brush strokes. I think Painter is trying to do too many calculations for the average home computer (I just upgraded too so I would hope it's not my computer that's too slow). ArtRage is so simple that it seems to do the things it does, right. I'll play around with it and do a painting or two before making further judgements but so far I think the quality and feel of the brush strokes are better than Painter. This is for oils.. for all the other media I would say Painter is still pretty useful. I was really bummed because I thought I wouldn't be able to continue the same technique with real oils & acrylics using Painter. But maybe with ArtRage I can.

jhercilia
01-18-2006, 07:36 AM
It is always good to try other software tool.
I've found with experience that it is better not to use Painter's brushes at their default settings. Opacity has to be lowered all the time for the brush to make beautiful stokes and not to over saturate the stroke. Also, the brushes behave differently when you use them on the canvas and when you use them on a layer. And also work best when you are applying many lots of paint not just one stoke to cover an area but many strokes.

Anything that ArtRage does, Painter do too. The same look that Waheed achieved with the parrot's painting can be easily done in Painter too. I am aware that Painter takes a little to get used to. But again, it is a matter of tweeking the brushes until you get them right. But I never use them at their default settings. This is very important. Enjoy ArtRage because it's simplicity is also attractive. Keep us posted of your experience, but please, don't give up Painter Artist's Oils yet, persevere, you will eventually find the right settings for your style.

barryt
01-18-2006, 08:07 AM
I use painter 8, and I don't know if the brushes are different in 9. I use the sargent brush in 8 a lot, but find you need a base color to begin, otherwise it seems to want to paint using the white of the canvas. Once you have a little color for it to pick up, you can use any color. I like it slight randomness, which you can increase. I find it gives me a slippery feel.