PDA

View Full Version : Art School AND a Good Education?

xiaodan
01-15-2006, 01:36 PM
I live in Canada, and I'm planning on going to an art school for university. However, I was wondering if there were any universities that had both a good arts program AND a good general academics program. The universities here that are known for good art programs like University of Concordia aren't very good universities, and have grade requirements of 65%. I want to pursue art, but I also want a god education. There are alot of school I can consider with a GPA of 4.0, but right now it seems that if I want to go into art I have to abandon everything else. If anyone has any advice or suggestions I would appreciate it alot. Thanks, Susan

Axl
01-15-2006, 07:30 PM
Hi Susan.

I actually havent done a lot of research about Universities for Art. But I can tell you when i went to NSCAD they had a good relationship with Dalhousie (in halifax). We were getting many dalhousie students also coming to nscad to do art courses, and vice versa.

I've been looking into the local universities here. UWO seams to have a bit of an art program (not as large as it use to) but many other things too. mostly sciences and that sort of thing. Also I have met some people doing art at McGill in Montreal. There's Laurier in Waterloo that seams to have a big arts/music program. They may have some sort of relationship with UW (which is just down the street) which has a lot more options for study.

I might ask around and see if I cant find any more information on this topic, and see what other people have to say about it.

I hope this is a bit of a help

xiaodan
01-16-2006, 11:54 AM
Thanks Ax. Hmm, I actually havne't considered the art program at McGill, I should check that option out, if it works out that'll be really cool, because another problem was finding a town where both my b/f and I could find a school for us, and he's actually pretty interested in McGill as well. Thanks for your advice :)

Axl
01-16-2006, 05:25 PM
Ontop of that, Montreal has so much to offer to artists, regardless of whether they go to school there or not. There is such a high percentage of people living there that are artists, that there are galleries everywhere, and art everywhere, and I find it just a really inspiring place to be. Well, I know if circumstances were a little bit different in my life right now, I'd probably be in Montreal too lol.

momof6
01-16-2006, 08:40 PM
This is probably quite an unlikely suggestion, but Capilano College in North Vancouver has an excellent Arts Program (many of the instructors seem to teach at both Capilano AND the Emily Carr College. Cap also has university degrees in the Arts and Sciences, and possibly Business. Many of the students transfer to UBC or Simon Fraser after a couple years at Capilano.

I wouldn't hesitate to encourage my own kids to go there.

Good luck in whatever your endeavors are!

momof6
01-16-2006, 08:40 PM
sorry double post!

xiaodan
01-16-2006, 11:38 PM
hmm..yeah, Montreal would be a great place to be...but I checked out McGill's website; they don't have a fine arts program and Concordia's pretty second rate in terms of other stuff, as for the rest, well, I got a lot of researching to do, thanks y'all for the info :)