GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Liverpool European Cup
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12 inch x 9.5 inch
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I received an oil painting set for Christmas and this is my first attempt. It is Jamie Carragher holding the Champions League Cup after Liverpool won it back in May 2005. I did the painting from a photo and it is destined for my son's bedroom. I would like some feedback on what other more experienced artists think of the painting.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
All feedback is welcome.

Constellation
01-15-2006, 03:47 PM
Hi Johnet.... This has such a nice poster like quality... it should be perfect in a boy's room..... I'll bet your son will want it larger! I think you've done a great job. Donna

*Violet*
01-15-2006, 06:20 PM
great job !! ... you're on your way to many more fine paintings ...

Grunge
01-16-2006, 12:29 PM
I would like to just point out a couple of things that you've done right, in case you didn't realize how good you were doing.

First the background is out of focus. So much out of focus that we can't really make out any definate forms, but we have the suggestion of what is there. Good, Good, Good!!! this is true to how the human eye sees. While we focus on something, the other things fall out of focus. Okay...so maybe it was out of focus in the photo so you just painted it that way... a lot of artists would have been tempted to add details to that background and bring things into focus.

Second, you have reflected colours on the trophy. wonderful. It can be scary to start adding colours to something you know is a different colour. You've done a great job.

and more.... Your concentration of lightest lights and darkest darks fall in the area of the main subjects. the figure and the trophy. when you place your lightest lightest lights up against your darkest darks the viewers eye will be drawn there. Now...notice how greyed down the background is..... wonderful!!

Where to go from here...work on your flesh tones. It's a tough thing. I'm always agonizing over the colour of flesh. Is it too orange...too brown...too pastey? Here I think the flesh could be lightened up a little.

Overall I think you've got a really great painting on your hands. Well done!!

Johnet
01-16-2006, 03:15 PM
Donna, Violet and Grunge

Thanks for your kind comments, I was quite worried putting this, my first painting since school, (which was a long, long time ago) up for comment especially after seeing some of the wonderful paintings on show on the web site.

Grunge

I would particularly like to thank you for your constructive critique. Looking back at the painting and comparing it to the photo, your right the flesh tones are too dark. I found the face the most difficult part especially trying to get a true likeness of the player, which I'm still not sure I have managed to do very well.

Thanks
John