PDA

View Full Version : Well , have 4 prints on ebay

dk_art
02-05-2002, 03:58 PM
I decided to put four prints on ebay .... hope they sell as it would be nice to just print off my digital images and make some money from not selling original paintings

Anyone have any opinions on the digital art catagory ...maybe I should have put them under that instead of the section I did.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1510171303&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=1013360956&indexURL=0&rd=1
(the web site didnt get a bid :( )

Dk-I've changed this link for you also. You do NOT want to give people access to your *MY EBAY* page on eBay. That is where your records are. On the link I give, we can see your other auctions by the link that says (view seller's other auctions) Hope this helps. - Tammy Moderator

Laura Tasheiko
02-05-2002, 05:56 PM
Hello David
I enjoyed visiting your site and hope to see more of your work on it soon. Especially enjoyed DK's World! with all of it's animated gifs and special features - just delightful. Can't really help w/your question, since I am still learning how to use this machine (real basic!), and can barely get around this site. But it seems digital art catagory would also be appropriate, esp. since that seems to be an area you are very talented in. Best, L.

CathyD
02-05-2002, 07:13 PM
David, I enjoyed looking at your auctions. I would suggest that you keep track of the views you get on these auctions and then do as Laura suggests and run some auctions under digital prints. Watch and see which one gets the most hits. I didn't notice but did you put that it was your original artwork anywhere in your description? You are very talented.

dk_art
02-05-2002, 07:22 PM
Thanks ... I will try the digital art catagory (which appears to be new) next time.

I've been kindof disappointed about this print business ....the whole printing and colour management thing is nothing but a pain. My prints aren't like what's on my screen and no information I've found online has been helpful .... only found companies offering devices for calibrating which cost between $500 and over $1000 US ........surely somewhere there's a program to do this by eye that costs a reasonable amount.

I've waited more than a month since printing with my new cartridges and now there's faint banding ..... I guess I should print off a bunch when they are new until they are depleated. Also , I've been printing off tests to try to calibrate and more wasted ink is the result .........dang those $65 lexmark cartridges ..and I need a colour and a photo in my printer so thats like $130 ! .....is it really worth the trouble ......

I guess I'm sick of the whole printing hastle ... manly how to get the colours right :(

Thanks for the good comments ... I'd just like to find a way to make some money from doing this

Sumafra
02-06-2002, 01:31 AM
David, you might think of getting some prints done at a local printer, nothing expensive, but somewhere where they do a decent color reproduction job. Or else, how about having some photographic prints made on mat paper. Those make nice prints too. Otherwise, you'll be spending a lot of money on ink cartridges for nothing.

Epicurea
02-06-2002, 12:53 PM
For nonarchival prints I recommend an HP Photosmart 1000 or higher. Not too much color change to deal with...prints are just a little bit darker than screen image, sometimes a little more red/magenta which is pretty easily fixed (although I'm not entirely sure how to adjust it). It's designed for printing photos so you get *very* nice photo quality prints. (I used mine to print on photo paper a photo portrait of my son that I had on my computer & it looked exactly like a studio print.) The lifespan of these prints is the same as a regular photo, 20 (?) years or so with good care (!) before colors fade or turn. The cartridges run about $35 or so in b&m stores and you can get approx. forty 8" x 10" prints out of each one. I've been running my prints on photo paper, but intend to buy some decent watercolor paper for matte prints when I have the spare cash. Cuz Sumafra's right, the matte prints, particularly on good watercolor or print paper, look very nice.

For 'lightfast' (70 or 80 years) or archival (200 years), I hear the Epson Stylus Photo printer (http://www.tssphoto.com/sp/dg/) is the way to go, but they are considerably more expensive. I was wanting to get the 1280 (70-80 year one), but the cartridges are more expensive too, and I heard some complaints about frequently having to change the heads when changing cartridges, which would mean even more cost. But there are people on this forum who use Epson, so they could probably give more (accurate) info.

C