PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pastel Classroom January 2006 - Glass

Pat Isaac
01-14-2006, 02:46 PM
Let's try some glass. It is something that I have always had difficulty with and have just recently been adding it to some of my still life work.
Glass comes in many forms; clear, colored, ridged, cut, and hand-blown. It also comes in many shapes; round, square, rectangular, symmetrical, and asymmetrical. It can also contain a liquid or a solid. All of these attributes affect the appearance of the glass.
Glass is both transparent and reflective and may also be opaque.
For the purpose of this classroom, we will only deal with a few of these features, the first being clear, transparent glass containing nothing.
This is a glass on a red cloth and I chose this so there would be a minimum of reflections.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2006/35760-real_glass.jpg
The first thing to remember is that you can see through the glass, and the next is that it is picking up reflections from the cloth. You need to think of glass, not as an object, but a collection of shapes and values. Paint what you see, not what you know. Also, remember that all reflections follow the shape of your object. Squint your eyes a lot when looking at the glass to see the major darks and lights. Squinting blocks out all the tiny details which you don't need.
I first drew the glass on a piece of Wallis paper with a light OP pencil.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2006/35760-drawing_glass.jpg
I then began blocking in the local color with Sennelier OPs and Holbein OPs. I usually always start with the local color and then add lights and darks.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2006/35760-glass1.jpg
I keep refining the drawing as I go along. I continue to fill in the glass and the cloth, constantly checking the shapes.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2006/35760-glass2.jpg
Now I start to add some darks and lights, always looking at the shapes and values and not the glass as a whole. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2006/35760-glass3.jpg
Now I keep adding more darks and lights and then the final highlights, still refining the drawing.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2006/35760-glass_final.jpg
Now you can try your own glass and post the results. Let me know if you would like to try other kinds of glass.
Ask questions....if you need more info......

Pat

Kathryn Wilson
01-14-2006, 03:18 PM
Cooool - my kind of classroom - I can see your process and it is very clear what you were doing all the way through the lesson.

Let me go find a favorite glass and give this a try!

k9artisan
01-14-2006, 11:27 PM
Great class Pat! Thanks so much for the valuable information!
Amber

stonewhiteclown
01-15-2006, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the classroom Pat! Glass is so much fun to paint!
There is a bit of time till the end of January for me I think :evil:

ColorMyWorld
01-15-2006, 09:45 AM
Pat, this is wonderful! Thank you!
I will try this, hopefully later today.

Pat Isaac
01-15-2006, 10:38 AM
Okay, everyone. Looking forward to your glass.

Pat

Kathryn Wilson
01-15-2006, 10:58 AM
Okay, here's my start - this is on a black background, but the camera was picking up too much light, but you get the idea. I loved this pilzner glass the first time I saw it and have been wanting to paint it ever since - thanks Pat!

hmmm, the angle I shot the real glass is different than what I am drawing from - my apologies!

I have two sources - one small lamp on the right side and the room overhead light.

I was tempted to do this on black Art Spectrum, but that was not the purpose of this lesson, so opted for Elephant Grey for the paper - so, I am having to paint in black, which is a hoot.

Fourth image shows middle tones and highlights, with color. Now to work on background. Will work with a color shaper to get crisper edges.

Fifth image is close - I see that my elipses are not perfect and I could not get a real sharp image of this. I am not the best camera person - hubby is :wink2:

Pat Isaac
01-15-2006, 11:03 AM
Nice glass, Kat. Yes, the angles are different, but no matter as long as you are seeing them the same. Do you have one source of light? I really like the shape of that glass.

Pat

Kathryn Wilson
01-15-2006, 11:29 AM
I'll be adding my progress images in the same post so that they can be seen all together.

Pat Isaac
01-15-2006, 11:40 AM
What a good idea. How do you do that?? Make sure you get some middle tones in that glass.

Pat

sundiver
01-15-2006, 11:52 AM
I just found this. Fun! I will try to start mine today.

Kathryn Wilson
01-15-2006, 12:01 PM
What a good idea. How do you do that?? Make sure you get some middle tones in that glass.

Pat

Guides and regular members have a certain amount of time in which they can edit their posts - Moderators have unlimited time. Sorry - :o one of the perks of the job I guess.

PeggyB
01-15-2006, 01:23 PM
What a fun challenge! Thank you Pat for a good lesson. Kat, your glass is looking very good. I'm especially fond of how you depicted the faceted ball at the bottom - not too fussy & just enough detail to know it is faceted.

Elipses, the bane of my life - think I'll have to try a wine glass for this with a "twin" on the side that contains liquid... :evil:

Peggy

Pat Isaac
01-15-2006, 01:33 PM
Great glass, Kat. I especially like the warm colors that you have put in. Awesome facets!!!

Go for it Peggy.

Pat

Kathryn Wilson
01-15-2006, 01:34 PM
Thank goodness I can push that black around to get the elipses just right once I get a template cut. It's the only way I know how to get them just right.

Please join us Peggy - wine glasses are fun!

How about a martini glass, anyone?

Kathryn Wilson
01-15-2006, 01:35 PM
LOL - those facets were the easiest thing on the whole glass - just tapped in some white facets, then tapped again with the black and the peach color. Nothing to it!

PeggyB
01-15-2006, 01:37 PM
Oh Kat - thanks for the reminder! I have some really pretty colored clear martini glasses, and some margarita glasses & pitcher - hmmm I might end up with a serious "drinking" problem before this assignment is finished! LOL
Peggy

PS I should tell you both types of glasses were gifts and I've never used them! Not that I don't like both, but have never made them at home.

Pat Isaac
01-15-2006, 02:43 PM
I learned how to make perfect ellipses by measuring. However, I often don't take the time to do that unless the ellipse just isn't working. I am stubborn enough to try and get it right by just drawing it. Doesn't always work though.:mad:

Pat

rcaron913
01-16-2006, 09:12 AM
This sounds like the perfect challenge for a beginner like me. Thanks for the tutorial. I'll give it a try as soon as I can squeeze in the time.

Thanks

Bob

Pat Isaac
01-16-2006, 09:18 AM
Welcome aboard, Bob. I understand the time thing...

Pat

stonewhiteclown
01-16-2006, 03:46 PM
Kat, your glass looks poised for a drink :) I also like the warm light especially.

Pat Isaac
01-16-2006, 04:41 PM
So what are you serving, Kat???

Pat

The Art Corner
01-16-2006, 05:20 PM
Thanks Pat. I'll give it a shot (glass) Kat good job thanks for sharing.

BeckyMc
01-16-2006, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the class, Pat. You and Kat did a great job on your glasses, so here's a picture of what happens when you run amok with black OP.

All this talk of booze, so I had to paint my late MIL's martini pitcher, probably from the 50's. It's somewhat small, as are the Martini glasses and it has a silver base. I decided to use up my black OP's, which I acquired from purchasing all of those Sennelier sets, when I first started. I used my black wool scarf as a backdrop and made quite a mess of the whole project. I decided against including all of the cat hairs from my evil kitty Clio, who'd lay down on the scarf, every time I turned my back. I had to be very careful how I scared her away each time. In addition to the mess I made with the black OPs, I took another bad photo. I did find my camera directions, but only the ones in Spanish. Don't know what happened to the English translation. Guess I'll have to break down and print it from the Internet. Unfortunately I didn't even make a dent in those black OPs...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jan-2006/45982-DSCN0945.JPG

PeggyB
01-17-2006, 02:27 AM
Becky you're being a bit hard on yourself. I like the sparkle you've achieved on the pictcher. Putting that lovely blue green in it makes it look like some old glass I've seen in antique shops. You elipses are a bit off, but I'm not one who should criticize that as they are one of my biggest challenges.

I know what you mean about cat hair on everything! My two like to sit on the pastels which isn't too bad when it is the OPS, but the dusty ones get all over their fur - especially any white fur. The blue eyed darlin's tend to heard for the blues and turquiose colors... LOL

Peggy

Pat Isaac
01-17-2006, 05:52 AM
Like Peggy said, you are being way too hard on yourself. I love all the reflected color you have in the glass. I gave all my black OPs away to a fellow artist who does collage work.
Ah yes, ellipses....the bane of most artists.

Pat

sundiver
01-17-2006, 07:37 AM
I like the blue-green in there, too, Becky.
I also have a collection of black o.p.s. I used some of them in making dark greens out of those garish greens I have; melted them together.

Great classroom, Pat! I HAVE to find some time to do this! And Kat's challenge is waiting in the queue, too. (But I see posting a challenge didn't stop you, Kat, from producing a lovely glass o.p., so you can be my inspiration!)

Kathryn Wilson
01-17-2006, 08:08 AM
No, I LIKE all the swirlies in your pitcher - it gives it a feel of old glass. The heck with the elipses - that was not what this lesson was about anyway.

Kudos to you for giving it a try - it is harder than you think because you almost have to paint backwards. Painting to the outline rather than painting a solid object.

Hey, Wendy, you didn't see my mirror painting yet either - LOL.

Becky Foster
01-17-2006, 10:05 AM
Nice glass ladies...lookin good. And great demo Pat!

And hey - feel free to send all your black op's to me...I use 'em up almost as fast as the whites. Well, except for the Holbein white, maybe somebody will trade with me - I'll give you all my Holbein white for all your Sennelier and/or Holbein black...:cat:

Keep up the good work all,
-Becky

Kathryn Wilson
01-17-2006, 10:15 AM
I'll tell ya - I still like my Caran d'Ache OP's almost better than anything else - they are right inbetween the Holbeins and the Senneliers for just the right texture - hard enough to make a good line, but soft enough to push around with the shaper. The black I used for this was just right for getting a good edge and still be soft enough to push.

Becky Foster
01-17-2006, 10:40 AM
I had a little set of Caran d'Ache op's and ended up giving them to my kids...it wasn't that they didn't work well, it just seemed that there was never anything they could do that the my Holbeins or Senneliers couldn't so I found I very rarely even thought to use them. I think I remember they did have a kind of unique sort of waxy sheen...? I hardly ever really "draw" with my op's either, but I can see how the Caran d'Aches would have a nice hardness for that.

Oil pastels are such an interesting medium! As are, of course, the very varied artists who use them :)

-Becky

Pat Isaac
01-17-2006, 04:36 PM
You are on, Becky. When I get more blacks I'll send them to you. I only have about one now as I gave them to another artist. so don't be surprised when you get a package some day.

Pat

BeckyMc
01-17-2006, 07:52 PM
It's good to know that I have a home for those black OPs - I keep clinging to the hope that I can find a good use for them. Maybe I should give abstracts a try... :D

The ellipses would have been more accurate if I hadn't kept changing my focus. I was sitting down, first with backstraight, then slightly slumping - then slumping some more. Everytime I got up to go do some little errand, I'd sit down differently when I returned. Of course the evil kitty Clio, was probably shifting stuff around too.... That's my excuse anyway and I'm sticking to it!

The Art Corner
01-18-2006, 08:28 PM
OK people here goes a wine glass....................C & C welcome
ACEO on Art Spectrum with Caran D'Ache & Sennelier's
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2006/34631-wine_glass_oil_pastel_aceo_WC.jpg

Pat Isaac
01-19-2006, 09:36 AM
Nice wine glass, Shoshana, grapes and all. I like the way you have included the reflections in the glass. I wonder though if the base of the glass could be defined a little more.

Pat

stonewhiteclown
01-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Becky, your pitcher looks good, I like the thickness of the glass one can perceive from the painting!

Shoshana, this is admirable in such small size! Well done on observing all kinds of reflections, and the drapery is good too!

This what I've done today, I definitely had fun with it. It is from a photo I took of my aunt's new spiffy elehpant made of glass.
I decided to use some black too, only I took a harder Faber Castell oil pastel and worked it with a turp so it won't pick up later.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2006/30926-OP_glassIMG_8111.jpg
The final - 10x7.5", finished up with Caran d'Ache OPs
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2006/30926-OP_glassIMG_8112.jpg
Now I see the base of the candlestick is badly drawn on the right hand side.

Kathryn Wilson
01-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Wow, two more good ones! Shoshana, nice reds and the glass looks good too.

Alex, the elephant is excellent! I especially like the table - it looks like you put this down first and then drew your shapes on top of that. Did you "cure" the table colors a couple of days so that they would not pick up when you were doing the light glass? The blue in the candlestick is powerful!

Pat Isaac
01-21-2006, 08:10 AM
Excellent, excellent, Alex. That elelphant is great and no easy object to do. Glad you had fun with this. I love the blue color in the candlestick.

Pat

Becky Foster
01-21-2006, 01:56 PM
Lovely piece, Shoshana - the colors are great. Nice textures too.

Alex, I think this is my favorite piece I've ever seen of yours (of course I am a little partial to elephants :) ). The colors in the elephant are amazing and the composition has a certain drama to it. I really love it. Seems like a very challenging subject...looks like you handled it with ease.

-BeckyT

The Art Corner
01-21-2006, 06:57 PM
Alex really really great work the multi-facets just jump out atcha, And the elephant is just so sweet!!! I love it.

mimitabby
01-21-2006, 10:26 PM
if you will all forgive me, i did not do a glass, i did a ceramic urn, a fiesta ware piece that I love.
I used that glass as an inspiration. I used a lot of the ideas and suggestions given above, thank you.
THe first time I colored this, i did it on black paper. It was okay, but i didn't like it so i tried again on this red paper and to my surprise, it turned out better. I don't know what kind of paper I used. It is probably 10 years old and I don't even remember buying it; but it's great. The photograph is crooked, the drawing is not.
I loved drawing on the red paper. I drew this with the Caran d'ache used neocolors that i bought on ebay.:clap:

PeggyB
01-22-2006, 01:13 AM
Shoshana - I like the reflections in your glass and the folds in the fabric.

Alex - love the elephant and wood grain, and the blue reflections in the candle stick are very important for the composition.

Mimi - I recognize your pitcher! I have one too. I would guess by the texture that you used the textured side of Canson Mi Tientes paper. Does the reverse side seem smooth by comparison? If so, it is the Canson. Nice job. I like the reflections and colors.

Peggy

The Art Corner
01-22-2006, 09:51 AM
Becky nice job on the impressionistic martini pitcher, sorry I missed page 2 before. Mimi I think your blue pitcher & fabric came out really nice. I too got my Caran D'Ache oilies on ebay. I really like them.

mimitabby
01-22-2006, 10:32 AM
Shoshana - I like the reflections in your glass and the folds in the fabric.

Alex - love the elephant and wood grain, and the blue reflections in the candle stick are very important for the composition.

Mimi - I recognize your pitcher! I have one too. I would guess by the texture that you used the textured side of Canson Mi Tientes paper. Does the reverse side seem smooth by comparison? If so, it is the Canson. Nice job. I like the reflections and colors.

Peggy
Peggy, the paper is the same on both sides. I was at Daniel Smiths yesterday and bought some more black, beige and white. They don't have any paper like this red stuff (I have a few other sheets in different colors too) it's a nice heavier weight; heavier than 160mm whatever that is.
Do you think Dakota might have better paper?

Pat Isaac
01-22-2006, 02:13 PM
What a nice ceramic urn, Mimi. The red paper showing through really makes it sing. 160mm refers to the weight of the paper. The higher the number the heavier the paper. I think that is how it works. Try some Wallis or Spectrum colorfix (they have a wonderful deep red).

Pat

stonewhiteclown
01-22-2006, 04:14 PM
Thanks for your kind comments, everyone!

Kat, I used an orangish paper, so for that effect I basically needed to put some black on top. The black goes long way washed with the turp, so I used it fairly thin. It didn't interfere with the following layers.

Mimi, I like the urn a lot! It has wonderful roundness and nice subtle colour transitions. Your paper well may be Fabriano Tiziano since it has the same texture on both sides. I think I even recognize the texture itself.

E-J
01-23-2006, 01:29 PM
Alex, that little glass elephant is so beautifully painted. It looks as if it must have been terribly complicated ... Great job!

Mimi, your urn may be ceramic, not glass, but it is stunning. That blue is fabulous!

I have just finished a soft pastel commission and would like to play with my OPs for a while, so I hope to join you all in the Classroom later this week! I promise to behave myself and not be a disruptive influence or throw stuff at the teacher's pets in the front row - Kat, Becky, Shoshana and Alex, who have already done their homework ;)

Pat Isaac
01-23-2006, 02:00 PM
Hey, E-J. Glad to see you here. I'll be watching to make sure you behave. Heehee...

Pat

mimitabby
01-23-2006, 02:17 PM
Thanks for your kind comments, everyone!

Kat, I used an orangish paper, so for that effect I basically needed to put some black on top. The black goes long way washed with the turp, so I used it fairly thin. It didn't interfere with the following layers.

Alex, thanks for showing us the sequence in how you did that piece. i never would have dared to put those things on top of the wood. you say you thinned the black with turpentine. what does the turpentine do to the paper?

Thanks Pat for the paper hints; i will look for it (when i get close to using up what i've already purchased)

yes, the surface of this paper is quite bumpy in a regular way.
it is fun to draw on.

stonewhiteclown
01-23-2006, 03:21 PM
Mimi, the turpentine doesn't have any notable effect on the paper. If you want the technique to be very wet, then some of it would seep through. I put it all outdoor for some time - ideally overnight. After that the paper and pastel is dry with only detectable odor. I think the part of this "OP underpainting" effect is due to the fact that the binder of OP is washed out some, so the rest is less prone to smudge or lift.

Hi E-J :wave: Thanks for not throwing the stuff at us :D But really, I cannot imagine you being disruptive - you're ever so nice, encouraging and creative! Can't wait to see your homework :)

zuzubol
01-25-2006, 01:06 AM
Here is my attempt at a glass....and 2 olives...:-) Actually a martini glass and 2 olives in the sunlight.
Len

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2006/59437-MartinInSunshine.JPG

Pat Isaac
01-25-2006, 09:36 AM
Nice take on the glass assignment, Len. I really like the reflections of the olives in the glass. The bottom ellipse is a little off. What is the liquid in the glass....:D :evil: Hmmm......

Pat

zuzubol
01-25-2006, 12:44 PM
Yeah Pat, I realized the bottom of the glass was a little haywire after I scanned it in. Maybe it had something to do with sampling the contents of the glass to begin with...:-D
Thanks,
Len

Pat Isaac
01-25-2006, 12:57 PM
Hmmmm......hee hee that's always a possibility, Len.

Pat

stonewhiteclown
01-25-2006, 03:41 PM
Hi Len! Good job on it, you achieved painterly quality here! The glass looks good, and liquid is clearly discernable, too.

The Art Corner
01-25-2006, 07:25 PM
Len nice job on the martini my husband would approve of the 2 olives or more for that matter..........................Love the back round & the shadow.

zuzubol
01-25-2006, 10:56 PM
Thanks everyone for your support. I will toast each of you the next time I have a Martini...:-)
Len

congdon
02-03-2006, 12:28 PM
OK OK-- when's the February classroom project coming out :) I need something to work on. Ordered the 50 count senneliers, so I'll wait for those to arrive first. Looking forward to it.

Pat Isaac
02-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Yikes, I'm not ready yet, but soon.:eek: How about the spoons??

Pat

congdon
02-03-2006, 04:30 PM
I've burried my spoons away somewhere... too frustrating. I should have stuck to my style instead of trying something new. Maybe I'll put some more chicken scratch to it tonight and see if I can make anything come of it.

Pat Isaac
02-03-2006, 04:39 PM
Well, you certainly set up the challenge. Many have jumped on it, including myself. Yes, do it in your style as it will be great.

Pat

FrigEh
02-18-2006, 09:42 PM
Hi,

I like the idea and the challenge, but the red background is really too strong. Also I see in your sketch and through you work that the upper shape of the glass isn't correct which gives an awkward touch to the whole thing... Sorry just my opinion.

E-J
04-26-2006, 03:41 AM
Too strong for what? I think a powerful background colour was necessary in this demo, since the whole point is to show its effect on the shapes seen through the glass.

Ack! Is it really three months since I said I would join in with this?? Be back soon ...

Pat Isaac
04-26-2006, 08:24 AM
Thanks, E-J. Time really does fly, but there is still time.

Pat

E-J
04-28-2006, 02:18 AM
I chose a glass for yesterday's "Painting A Day". Not thrilled with it, I have to say. I need better concentration! The ellipses are terrible!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Apr-2006/13865-27April06.jpg

Pat Isaac
04-28-2006, 07:27 AM
It does look glassy, E-J and ellipses are the bane of many an artist. They take me forever...Like your colors.

Pat

GhettoDaveyHavok
07-17-2006, 02:20 AM
What kind of pastels are you guys using on those glass and all. I have these oils ones, which I heard makes a difference, and my blending is terrible. Myabe my fingers are too dirty?

Pat Isaac
07-17-2006, 07:35 AM
These are oil pastels that are being used in this classroom. Many different brands are being used...Senneliers, Holbeins, Caran D'ache, CrayPas. If you read through the thread most of the artists will mention what they used. I used Senneliers and Holbeins to start the lesson. There are also many ways to blend. Check out the pastel library.
Hope to see a post from you.

Pat

PhilERoberts
01-24-2007, 01:28 AM
This is my first op drawing, so tried the glass with the red background. Used water soluble Portfolio op's. Had some difficulty blending colours, particularly to achieve highlights.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jan-2007/98422-glass1.jpg

Phil

Pat Isaac
01-24-2007, 07:19 AM
Phil, this is a good first OP. I have never worked with the water soluble Portfolios, but it looks as if you have them under control. Do they have a white with them? That would help with the highlights and maybe a little more dark in the bottom of the glass. What kind of paper did you use?
Hope to see more.

Pat

PhilERoberts
01-24-2007, 05:22 PM
Pat
Thanks for your comments. Yes, there is a white, which I have used as a base on the left of the glass, and around its outline.
I haven't any special paper, so I guess it is just cartridge paper in a sketch pad.
Phil

Pat Isaac
01-25-2007, 09:03 AM
If you are interested in OPs you might try some that are not water soluble as the blending qualities are better. Cray Pas Specialists are a good starting point and are relatively inexpensive.

Pat

The Art Corner
01-25-2007, 06:53 PM
Hi Phil nice first shot (glass) OK I couldn't resist. Looking forward to seeing more of your work. Welcome.

katieismyname
04-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Thanks! This really helped me, I have an art exam tomorrow and i have TWO wine glasses with a very fussy detail, behind it is a wooden post which has some kinda of plant mould, wire wrapped around and sheep wool!! In my mock exam I did really pants for the glasses, so this tutorial will hopefully help me take my grade up a bit!! If the examinors let me, i will take a picture of the finished result and let you know how i did! Thanks again, this has given me loads of confidence now!! :D

Pat Isaac
04-27-2008, 05:49 PM
I am so glad that this has been helpful to you. Would love to see the finish, if possible and good luck with the grade.

Pat

katieismyname
04-29-2008, 03:01 PM
I wasn't allowed to take a picture unfortuantly, but i know for sure the glasses were improved compared to my mock exam. The examinor said it was very 'Monet' which i think is a compliment :lol: . Now i have to wait a few months before i know my grade! It went much better than I thought - i'm not taking Art and Design on for my next two years in school as i have difficulty with Design - which is a must for the course, but I am going to continue drawing at home. Thanks again

Pat Isaac
04-29-2008, 04:37 PM
I'm glad you felt pleased with your work as that is important to growth. Hope to see more of your work in the future.

Pat

Olga_R
04-02-2010, 02:49 AM
Pat, thank you very much for this threat! it's amazing :-)
Hopefully I will draw something glassy in my next work, LOL

BTY, it's my very first activity on this website, LOL, I hope this experience will work great for me :-)

Olique

Pat Isaac
04-02-2010, 01:45 PM
I'm sure it will as there are a great bunch of people here...

Pat