PDA

View Full Version : Playing with silverpoint

Lorijo
01-14-2006, 12:46 PM
I have always wanted to mess around with silverpoint, so I did! Its a little pot of pepper sprouts, my son saved me some seeds from some chile peppers and naturally the hot ones sprouted the best. Maybe they will be pretty anyhow.

This is on a masonite panel, gessoed. 5 x 7. And a detail. But the gesso is rough because I like it that way for painting so I want to make some smooth ones for the silverpoint. I scribbled on some paper too, it looks like it will work on that too. Its real light on paper. It looks like a #2 pencil on the panel. I am looking forward to see how it darkens as it tarnishes.

I had some silver wire from when I used to make silver jewelry, I clipped a piece off, sanded into a wedge tip and put it in a mechanical pencil.
C and C welcome. Lori

KPowe
01-14-2006, 08:51 PM
Very pretty, Lori.

Is that 99% silver wire or sterling? It is always fun to experiment.

Lorijo
01-15-2006, 12:07 AM
Thanks Kathy, I don't know what sort of wire it was, probably 99%. I love trying something new. Or new to me anyhow! Lori

LarrySeiler
01-15-2006, 09:52 AM
haha....always cool to see something different! Good going!

I've used the pencil holders too to experiment, and I enjoy putting in sharp toothpicks and dipping the end in a sepia ink to draw with. Something different every once in awhile....

Larry

Lorijo
01-15-2006, 12:06 PM
Thanks Larry, I always liked toothpicks for detail work, when you need one or two drops of color, saves washing a brush. Or Q-tips. Gee, sounds like I don't like brush washing!:D I never tryed one for a whole drawing or painting. Lori

JamieWG
01-17-2006, 11:24 AM
Lori, I always wondered what the heck silverpoint is! Now I know.... Is this the way it's usually done, with a silver wire? It has such a lovely, soft effect. How long does it take to reach the nicely tarnished stage? I've heard that as a medium, it is very slow going and extremely unforgiving. How did you find it to work with? This is a nice sketch. Are you going to give it to Gary? Pot looks a liiiiittle bit wonky. I know you'll see it right away if you look at it in a mirror or upside down.

It sounds like we'll be seeing more silverpoint from you, since you're talking about making smoother panels for it. Is it always done on board with gesso?

Jamie

Lorijo
01-17-2006, 03:52 PM
Thanks Jamie! Its very unforgiving, you can't erase it. I think the next one I do will have a light pencil drawing under it. Its slow too so big silverpoints are rare. The wire squeaks when you use it, its weird, interesting. You can use gold, brass, copper instead of the silver too.

Its done on coated paper too, you can coat the paper with watercolor. Here is a link to more about it. http://silverpointweb.com/ There are some real nice drawings in the galleries there. I did one thats over in the regular plein air forum too, I am not that happy with it. Lori