PDA

View Full Version : Needs something I can't put my finger on!

omniartz
01-14-2006, 01:49 AM
Any suggestions as to what I can do to improve my imaginary friend here would be appreciated! I look at her and I am not satisfied. Perhaps it only is a playful attempt in Painter. Had a lot of imapsto that I blended out, that helped. But . . . :confused:

jhercilia
01-14-2006, 01:59 AM
Your imaginary friend shou have the eyes aligned but both at the same angle as the tilted head. I suggest yu work more the shadow areas like the forehead on the hairline, the eyes' suckets, side of neck to simulate it's roundness, under the chin since the light is not hitting there. Publis should be equally rounded and both catch light should be in the same direction on both eyes so if you do one with a certain angle, the other one should follow.

Hope this help you refine your cute friend.

omniartz
01-14-2006, 03:36 AM
Thank you for the suggestions. I've applied them and it is much more satisfying now.

Any other C&C welcome!

LadyAlba
01-14-2006, 03:48 AM
Excellent advice from Janet...I like the improvement! ;o)

barryt
01-14-2006, 07:29 AM
I like the improvement, but I think your eyeline is out. Her right eye is to high
I've drawn lines to show this

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2006/70662-jeanie_lines.jpg

They should be more or less parallel
I see you've given your imaginary friend a name, but I won't worry about you for now :)

justjean
01-14-2006, 07:35 AM
She looks great Kirk :clap: how does Barry know her name ? and :( I don't

Yako
01-14-2006, 07:42 AM
I liked the features and the color palette you chose for the imaginary lady. I played a bit with your image and added some creams and peaches to her face, orange and ash brown to the hair in light color washes. :)

barryt
01-14-2006, 07:43 AM
The pic is labelled with the name :)

justjean
01-14-2006, 08:21 AM
LOL oh you mean Kirks initials and I thought you meant the name of the lady :D

barryt
01-14-2006, 08:56 AM
No Jean, for goodness sake! I downloaded hi pic so that I could make the line drawing and the name of the pic was Jeanie.
Hey it's YOU!

Sorry about this Kirk!

justjean
01-14-2006, 09:48 AM
oh excuse me, didn't mean to annoy you :o

Skinny
01-14-2006, 09:56 AM
YAKO...You're a genius with color! Love it.

barryt
01-14-2006, 11:45 AM

Skinnier, I know you're a new member, but you are supposed to comment on the persons own thread. I can't see Yako's work here?! :D :D :D

Yako
01-14-2006, 01:30 PM
Skinnier, I know you're a new member, but you are supposed to comment on the persons own thread. I can't see Yako's work here?! :D :D :D
Me too can't see Yako's work here.....:D :D :D ...
Speaking more seriously i like Kirk's initial work it has something special :cool:

Yako
01-14-2006, 01:32 PM
:o :o :o :o :o :wave:

jhercilia
01-14-2006, 01:45 PM
Skinnier is not a new member, just had a computer crash and couldn't log on as the original user id wich is Skinny.
It is OK to comment about Yakos addition since it is directly related to the thread.

barryt
01-14-2006, 02:18 PM
Skinnier is not a new member, just had a computer crash and couldn't log on as the original user id wich is Skinny.
It is OK to comment about Yakos addition since it is directly related to the thread.

Yes Janet I know that, I was (trying) to be sarcastic. I don't know if it happens with you, but sometimes when I load a thread, some are not shown. I could not see Yako's post.
Sorry to all, that's probably made Skinny Skinnier!

jhercilia
01-14-2006, 02:39 PM
Yes Janet I know that, I was (trying) to be sarcastic. I don't know if it happens with you, but sometimes when I load a thread, some are not shown. I could not see Yako's post.
Sorry to all, that's probably made Skinny Skinnier!
LOL sometimes it's hard to put emotion or feelings in words. LOL
I have notice that WC is slower and takes too long to load.

omniartz
01-14-2006, 03:02 PM
Thank you for the examples! they look very nice. You've given her a roundness she didn't have in my version. Very cool!

omniartz
01-14-2006, 03:04 PM
Thanks Barry, I have trouble sometime with the parallel lines in my imaginary (fictional) portraits. I really apprectiate the graph!

omniartz
01-14-2006, 03:06 PM
Thank you Jean(nie)! Glad you like her! :clap:

omniartz
01-14-2006, 03:10 PM
Thank you everyone! I'm glad you felt comfortable with me to have fun in this thread! It is a great place to be for help and encouragment!! :clap:

jhercilia
01-14-2006, 03:21 PM
I like your version too, Kirk. It reminds me of Piccaso!
Look at his self portrait here!
http://www.modjourn.brown.edu/mjp/Image/picasso/picasso.html

I think yours is even better!

omniartz
01-14-2006, 03:55 PM
Thank you janet! Picasso is an influence, But sometimes I am not careful enough with the fictional characters I paint and they turn out too oddly even for me! LOL! :)

jhercilia
01-14-2006, 04:52 PM
If you look at it as an art expression, there shouldn't be any problem, unless you have different goals and what to achieve realism.

omniartz
01-14-2006, 05:16 PM
I want to improve in my ability to incorporate realism into my fictional portraits. But soemtimes I just make unusual images as I like them. This particular piece needed some additional realism, just a touch. I did not like the use of the imapsto as much as I thought I would, and I knew the facial structure was a bit goofy (to say the least!) So I asked for some input. I added some additional changes and now I am satisfied with the end product.

Thank you all for your help and support. I learned a lot about blending on this image, and eye placement in relation to other facial features is a good thing to know how to do.

This is the final image! :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2006/69150-1_Jeannie2C.jpg

jhercilia
01-14-2006, 05:45 PM
To be more realistic all you have to do is build form by making transitions between darks (areas in shadow) and light (areas in hit by light). This way you avoid a flat look in your portraits. Also for realism, facial features should be placed correctly.

When you are going to begin a piece, first decide where do you want the light to come from and based on that evaluate which areas should be in shadow and in light. And which areas in shadow should be darker than other areas in shadow, etc. Same with the light area.

You are in the right track then and you have improved your initial image a lot. So that is good. Now, it is a matter of practicing a lot.

barryt
01-14-2006, 06:02 PM
I like that Kirk. Portraits don't have to look 'real'. This is an interesting image.

omniartz
01-15-2006, 11:42 AM
Janet, some good advice! Thank you! I will continue to endeavor to improve through pratice and also I'll continue to play with more primative approaches too. I really enjoy a good flat image! LOL! Matisse and Picasso are influences here as well as others, I love to work with color and juxtapostion, non perspective, so to speak.

But I do need to improve as a draftsman, ie, better realism, to improve on any experimental works. I find I rely on line and not value too much, Being aware of that I begin to see how to improve, in all areas of my art. Light and shadow . . . :)

omniartz
01-15-2006, 11:46 AM
Barry, great! I'm glad you like it. I think that being here at WC is a good advantage to anyone trying to make art, and esp I like the digital art forum! Thanks again for yor help and encouragement!

jhercilia
01-15-2006, 12:26 PM
I also like the Digital Art forum. It's a very friendly environment that, in my opinion, you won't find in any other forum. Keep up the good work.
Try this excersise: take a picture of someone you would like to paint, squint your eyes and concentrate on the form of shadow and light, then block that in in your canvas but not with pencil but with a big brush to avoid making any detail. Then, every time squint less so that you can see more detail and keep blocking in those shadows and lights with more precision. After a while you will be surprise how good likeness you got even without really detailing small details for the facial features. That is because you place the shapes of shadow and light in their right places and with their correct shape and size.

Good luck.

omniartz
01-15-2006, 12:40 PM
I've got a couple of images I could try that on. One is a facing the full front in color. Another is a BW of a Gov Photographer from Library of Congress, I've forgotten his name. Anyway, sounds like a nice way to start! Thanks again, Janet!