PDA

View Full Version : Conte A Paris Pastel - Soft Pastels

binkie
01-14-2006, 12:39 AM
Hi!

I need to replace some of my Nupastels and wonder if anyone can tell me about the Conte A Paris soft pastels? Do you like them? Are they harder than Nupastels?

Thanks

binkie

Khadres
01-14-2006, 01:27 AM
I have the biggest set they make which is 48, I think. Actually, they're kinda nice, but hard to find, usually. They're softer than Nupastels by quite a lot, but harder than say Rembrandt....they fit well in between there. They also remind me of Giraults in shape and size. The colors are vibrant and they keep a crisp edge when broken and make nice sharp marks....not so dusty as the real softies, but more so than Nupastels or Polys. Wouldn't mind having a bigger set, tho.

dlake
01-14-2006, 01:38 AM
You can keyword the name and easily find them. I run into them pricing at different places. I have tried the drawing ones and they were nice. I am in the middle of replacing my nupastels as well. Really low. I was torn between Faber Castell polychromos and the Cretacolors. I talked to both Dick Blick's and Jerry's Artarama. They said the polys are really nice and better color and lightfast and the Cretacolor is closest to the polys. Both are better than nupastels. If you decide to go that route, Jerry's has a super sale on the Cretacolors - 72 set for 34.00. Not bad. They are better than the nus and just about the same as polys. Maybe you should try that.
And they carry both in open stock if you want to try a couple first. For the conte you may want to look at Blicks.

Hi. I just checked and Blicks has the conte 48 set. If you go to C and hit conte on the right side you'll find it.

diane

prettytulips
01-14-2006, 04:12 AM
If you want a larger color range go with the FCP's... They are not as dusty as nupastel for laying down the first layer though and don't have much 'movement' after laying down the first layer, so I use them for detail.
Instead of using the Nupastels I have I now just use rembrandts for the first layer - much easier and I know they are lightfast - more so than Nupastel. I won't ever buy Nupastel again because they just are not neccessary for what I do since I have Rembrandts..

dlake
01-14-2006, 10:29 AM
I am not a big fan of nupastels. They are really hard to work with. I use to do like Tulips. Use Rembrandts until I wore my few sticks out. Some reason never got around to replacing them.
Question: I heard Rembrandt reformulated thier pastels so they are a bit more vibrant. Do you find that is the case? Curious.
Thanks
Diane

binkie
01-14-2006, 06:52 PM
Thanks Sooz. You're right, they really are hard to find. But sounds like a pastel I would like.

Diane, Thanks for the info. I've tried the Cretecolor sticks and don't like them very well. They are way too hard for me. I've thought about FCP pastels but I believe you have to buy an entire set and I can't do that right now.

Tulips, Thanks for the suggestion. One of these days I'm definitely going to get a set of the FCPs. Can't quite put my finger on why, but I don't like the Rembrandts.

Thanks again,
binkie

dlake
01-14-2006, 07:55 PM
Oh, you can get both at Dicks and Jerrys. Open stock on FC. A set of 48 of the conte crayons. Very easy to find.
Diane

learningtopaint
01-14-2006, 08:04 PM
Note that the Conte crayons/pastels are not traditional pastels in the sense of NuPastels. Instead, they have more clay content. If you want a hard pastel, use either NuPastel or FaberCastell, or, move on to Girault or others.

Conte is delightful, but it's different from hard pastel.

binkie
01-14-2006, 11:18 PM
Diane, Thanks but I'm not looking for the Conte crayons. I am aware of those and have used them in an art class I took.

leaningtopaint, Thanks for the info and suggestions.

binkie

jmp
01-15-2006, 12:17 AM
i may be wrong but i think the conte crayons and the conte pastels are the same thing.....

jmp
01-15-2006, 12:17 AM
i may be wrong but i think the conte crayons and the conte pastels are the same thing.....

Khadres
01-15-2006, 12:40 AM
No, sorry, but they're entirely different animals. The crayons have a waxy base, the softs are...soft pastels. It's difficult to find them except on eBay for some reason.