PDA

View Full Version : First Painter Water Color (Orchid)

jkb081759
01-13-2006, 06:32 PM
Hello!

I've been playing around with Painter 8's digital water color brushes, and not having too much success. I haven't been getting the "hang" of water colors as much as the oils.

I finally did something that kind of grew on me, and I'm looking for brute honest opinions on my digital watercolor technique in this pic.

The attachment is a watercolor of an orchid I've seen in a local farmer's market. To see a larger version of this, go to http://thor.prohosting.com/jkb0859/firstwc.jpg

Thanks very much in advance,
John

justjean
01-13-2006, 06:38 PM
Hi:wave:

I can't get into the link you posted but the one you posted here looks fine :)

jhercilia
01-13-2006, 06:52 PM
It would help if you tells us which brush you are using, and paper.
The key with the Digital Watercolor brushes is tha they work at their best when used at very very low opacity, and if you want a rich color, you have to apply the color several times as in traditional glazing.

Also, unless you are planning on leaving the pencil drawing completely and very visible, I suggest you use a light grey 2B pencil setting its Mode to Cover and keeping the drawing in a separate layer, either on top or bottom. You will always be able to integrate the pencil later on and even at certain spots only.

This is a sample I did with the New Simple Water from the Digital Watecolor brushes. Notice that it acts as traditional watercolors. I also tested it and this brush, for example, if I keep lightly rubbing the same painted spot it will diffuse it creating nice transitions. I believe I tweaked some setting so if you are interested I can post it here.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2006/24404-jmg_NewSimpleWater.jpg

Chiers
01-13-2006, 07:34 PM
Well I certainly like your painting watercolor or not. My own personal opinion, as well as a few traditional watercolorists I know is that watercolor is not one of painters strong points. I am not good with real watercolor but I do know some who are very good with it and they tell me they don't think painter does a good job at replicating WCs.

jkb081759
01-13-2006, 10:14 PM
To all,

Thank you all very much for your words of encouragement :) I've been using various oil brushes til now, and I'm venturing out to other "digital" mediums in Painter...

Janet,
I've used the "Digital Water Color - Soft Broad Brush" mostly in this painting as well as "basic paper". Thank you very much for the tips and I'll practice on this a while... I guess I should experiment with the paper as well. Also, thanks for the feedback on the pencil tracing, as I wasn't too sure about it either.

BTW, Janet, your "Solitude" image looks superb and expresses a lot of powerful emotion! It blew me away!

John

jhercilia
01-13-2006, 10:22 PM
Janet,
I've used the "Digital Water Color - Soft Broad Brush" mostly in this painting as well as "basic paper". Thank you very much for the tips and I'll practice on this a while... I guess I should experiment with the paper as well. Also, thanks for the feedback on the pencil tracing, as I wasn't too sure about it either.

BTW, Janet, your "Solitude" image looks superb and expresses a lot of powerful emotion! It blew me away!

John
You may try also a paper texture now and see how it looks. The option is under Effect/Apply Surface Texture - using paper. While this window is open you can select different papers from the paper's palette and see how each one will look.

Thanks for the comment on Solitude.

Elainepsq
01-14-2006, 12:56 AM
I like your painting and I definitely think you are on the right track with the watercolor brushes. I also agree that you need to work more on glazing, and keeping the opacity down to replicate watercolor.
The darks bother me a bit, they look kind of "solid". I would recommend you glaze there again, with some dark greens and blues.
Although transparent watercolor is a difficult thing to replicate digitally, after painting in watercolor for so many years, most of my digital work ends up looking like watercolor. You can find some of my work thru the member directory. Most of it is here in Digital or in the Weekend Drawing Events

Yako
01-14-2006, 08:09 AM
I can't say anything about watercolors since i don't know much about them.
I think your orchids are beautiful perhaps a bit dark in general.:) :wave: