PDA

View Full Version : My White Elephant

Dot Hoffman
01-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Last evening, at our art guild meeting, we had a quick draw of gift wrapped white elephants, and then after that, a "rob your neighbor" distribution of the elephants. Some of the things were (naturally, you'd expect this) plain junk, but some were brand new. The one I ended up with was OLD....and maybe someone can tell me a little more about it. It's a set of 48 pastels, called Alphacolors made by Weber Costello. The person who brought it said she bought it at a garage sale for $2, and the original label on it was (get this) $3.95 from a local department store. :eek: They're in great shape, only one or two broken in half, and all a bit dirty on the outside edges, but in the original box. I made a couple of test strokes, and they seem to be fine. I'm anxious to do a real painting with them. I think my white elephant ended up being a treasure! :clap: What do you think?

Dot

dlake
01-13-2006, 11:54 AM
I am so happy for you. I bought a small alphacolor when I first started. They were fun. I believe they are student pastels and so much fun to play with. I really enjoyed them
diane

khourianya
01-13-2006, 12:20 PM
Theya re student pastels and among the first I ever used. I don't know the lightfastness ratings on them, but I do know that I still have many of them in my pastel box because I liked the feel of some of the colours.

PeggyB
01-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Student grade indeed, and if colorfastness is a concern you might test them by placing a test strip upon which you've made a strong mark of each color in strong sunlight for a couple weeks. Cover one end of the strip with another paper so you'll have the original color to compare with. One further caution. If you are alergic to preservatives, be very careful. I know of one artist who upon opening the box of new Alphacolors that had been won as a prize in a local art meeting had an awful asthma attack due to the preservatives that are used in that brand of pastel.
Peggy

HarvestMoon
01-13-2006, 08:04 PM
Well dot- it could have been a LOT worse- around here, you might have ended up with an attack billy goat!!!

Dot Hoffman
01-14-2006, 11:30 AM
Well, it may not be a treasure, but it sure was a fun meeting anyway!:cat:

Thanks for all the info.

Dot