PDA

View Full Version : Wacoms new art pen

justjean
01-13-2006, 10:28 AM
Janet I just received my new Art Pen and I really can't see any difference with it and the standard pen here is a sample done in
Painter 9, 500 x 500, white canvas b/g, 200 dpi with an Intous 3

the first stroke is the regular pen the 2nd the art pen and the nib that arrived in the pen

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2006/36920-wacompens.jpg

TxAggieDarlin
01-13-2006, 10:47 AM
well, that is interesting..........what would be the point of changing?

Smokin
01-13-2006, 10:55 AM
Is it the new 6d pen? I find that to be yet another toy I want.

If its the new 6d pen, you need to still set up you brushes to felect that you want to control it by spining the pen.

justjean
01-13-2006, 10:59 AM
Morning Aggie, Joel and Smokin :)

Smokin yes it is the 6D pen now tell me more please I just picked up the pen and started LOL

Smokin
01-13-2006, 11:05 AM
OOOOOOOOOOOO, Im envious! ok, brb, gonna check painter brush controls, .... only a few have the rotate feature available, but Im guessing you should try some caligraphy pens.

Edit: OK, grab an artist oil brush, goto angle, and set it to rotation. then draw and spin the brush at the same time, see what happens.

Smokin
01-13-2006, 11:11 AM
http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel3/Section/Display&sid=1047022946165&cid=1047024773680&gid=1047022985433

Looks like you get some free brushes too.

LadyAlba
01-13-2006, 11:13 AM
I'm envious too LOL of course I am still working on a Graphire 2 and am still saving up for a Intuous 3 hopefully next month ;o) ..... but from what I read on the 6D like Smokin said you have to set it up to work. ;o)

Smokin
01-13-2006, 11:20 AM
Yeah, the only reason to have it because you want to effect your brushes by the rotation of the pen.

I imagine (though havnt checked) the squarish brushes, pallet knives, and caligraphy type pens would be PERFECT for this pen. I imagine Id use the pallet knives alot more if I had than pen.

justjean
01-13-2006, 11:29 AM
Thanks Smokin , I could see the difference in the calligraphy pens and the rotation now I'm off to play for awhile :)

Chiers
01-13-2006, 02:29 PM
Congrats on your new toy Jean! Now lets see what you can do with it when you get it all figured out.

justjean
01-13-2006, 07:49 PM
Sherry

Congrats on your new toy Jean! Now lets see what you can do with it when you get it all figured out.

I'm sure it won't change much , just another toy :)

jhercilia
01-13-2006, 09:04 PM
Jean, have you downloaded the brushes? They are the following:

Thin Smooth Caligraphy - changes stroke thickness and character as you rotate the pen

Grainy Calligraphy - a tapered pen that responds by changing the character of the stroke as you rotate your hand

Soft Flat Oils - a flat brush whose soft bristles respond subtly as you move your hand in a natural way while painting

Tapered Gouache - a round brush whose bristles also respond as you rotate your hand and the stroke thickness also changes as you apply pressure to the stylus

Square Grainy Pastel - a brush that is similar to a hard square pastel that shows a lot of paper grain. Its strokes also change as you move your hand in a natural rotation while drawing.

Look at the difference by just rotating:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2006/24404-jmg_6dpen.jpg

This is another sample. This time with a custom brush I created called:
jmgSoftFlatOils-Thikvar. It is based on the Soft Flat Oils. Look at the difference on how they blend. With the regular pen, it was hard to achieve soft blending but with the 6D pen has softer transitions. Both pens were set with the exact same atributes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2006/24404-jmg_6dpen2.jpg

justjean
01-13-2006, 09:37 PM
Yes Janet they are the ones I was using with the regular pen ,I think I just have to play around and learn how to use the pen , the worn oil pastel seems nice :) which nib do you use the most ?

jhercilia
01-13-2006, 09:43 PM
I am using the softer nib. It takes time to get used to holding the pen. Plus I miss the buttons which I use as shortcut to resize my brush on the other pen.
The good thing about having more than one pen is that they remember your last brush independently. In other works, lets say you want to do an painting with the look of pastel and colored pencils, what you do is to set one pen for the pencils and the other for the pastel. This way you don't have to search for the particular brush, you just switch pens!

Skinny
01-13-2006, 09:44 PM
This should be added to the library so we can all consult it as we (hopefully) move to a 6D pen.