PDA

View Full Version : show your pastels :)

jessamina
01-13-2006, 12:17 AM
this has probably been done before but i'd like to see what all you other soft pastel artists have :D

here's mine

this photo is of a 225 set of rembrandt sent to me for the price of postage by eutherpendragon, thankyou so much :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2006/66441-apastels_003_1.jpg

these are my 100 set of sennelier, portrait collection my husband brought me and my derwent pastel pencils.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2006/66441-apastels_003_2.jpg

and lastly a box i got as a gift from my online art dealer that iv'e filled with broken peices of pastel, some assorted schmincke pastels, a box of nucolor hard pastels, a box of reeve's soft pastels and a few small boxes of loose rembrandts.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2006/66441-apastels_003.jpg

my only problem is i never get to use all the color, maybe i'll have to start doing some flowers or landscapes lol

jess :wave:

CindyW
01-13-2006, 01:38 AM
Hi Jess....what a stash!!!
check out the pastel talk forum....you'll find a huge thread on everyone's pastels. You might link your thread here to that one. It's amazing!
Cindy

jessamina
01-13-2006, 03:44 AM
thanks!

i'll look for the thread now.

when i started i only had a box with twelve pastels and they weren't that great, it feels good to finally have a decent collection and the improvement in my work is amazing.

dlake
01-13-2006, 10:55 AM
Jess, If I get the pastels I ordered I'll show ya. right now I'm transitioning from a pretty used up supply to resupply. Mine is quite pitiful right now. Hope today I'll get at least some and then I'll show. I wish you would have asked this question a week from now. lol.
Let's say my pastels are in a week going to be: my own open stock of Great American Artworks and Art Spectrum. Faber-Castell hards. I do have Carbothello pencils.
diane

khourianya
01-13-2006, 11:27 AM
This thread is full of drool worthy photos:
Pictures of Different Pastel Sets
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300545

You should also search for some of the threads that go with my articles on storage, because people have posted their images in some of them. And I also pulled some links to include in those threads

eutherpendragon
01-13-2006, 01:11 PM
Hey - those Rembrandts sure look vaguely familiar....

Jessamina, it looks like you've got a nice collection of pastels now. I think slowly building them up is a good way to go.

I hope you enjoy the Rembrandts...I find that they are useful for underpainting, over which you can use the Senneliers and a few of the Schminckes that you have (but of course, you probably already know that. :) )

Good luck with your artistic endeavors.

- Ann

jessamina
01-15-2006, 09:10 PM
Hey - those Rembrandts sure look vaguely familiar....

Jessamina, it looks like you've got a nice collection of pastels now. I think slowly building them up is a good way to go.

I hope you enjoy the Rembrandts...I find that they are useful for underpainting, over which you can use the Senneliers and a few of the Schminckes that you have (but of course, you probably already know that. :) )

Good luck with your artistic endeavors.

- Ann

thankyou ann

it did take a while to build them up but your contribution made a huge difference, they are just so lovely, i use sennelier but they are too soft for the undercoat, as you said, and i can't use them for detail but rembrandt can be used for detail, undercoat and top if i want, they are very versatile...i just love them so much lol, i think my pastels are one of my most prized possesions :o

i just wish i could use the colours, i'm looking for reference photo's at the moment because i have so much color now and it's going to waste :eek:

i would love to find the link to other members pastels, i remember when i first brought the book 'animals that touch the heart' she has photo's in the book of her studio and pastels and she has a lot of pastels, that book actually helped me to decide what brands were best for me and has helped a lot, when i first saw all her pastels i only had a 12 pack of very cheap one's and it was quiet depressing lol, thankfully i'm doing okay now in the pastel department.

i can't thank you enough for sending those pastels, they are awesome :clap:

dlake
01-15-2006, 09:26 PM
Jess, you say you would like to find the link to member sites. If you are looking to see people's pastels, you are more than welcome to go to mine and write me. I can't really show you a supply as it is taking forever for my pastels to get here! ahhhhhhh. I have broken and worn out ones. Waited forever to replace stuff. But, I will be happy to send you a pic within the week - hopefully.
As for pastels being one of your prized possessions - I think the rest of us would heartily agree-lol. That and paper.
Diane

HarvestMoon
01-16-2006, 11:35 AM
well- mine are all shown in the 'pictures of different pastel sets' thread... but nice you are showing yours- always fun to look....
Linda

bjcpaints
01-17-2006, 01:17 PM
Was going to show mine in the other thread but now after seeing this I won't! I am soooo jealous! Mine paltry little collection looks very pathetic.
Started with the small set of Derwent pencils, then after awhile bought a small halfstick set of (15) Rembrandts (with 40% off coupon), have been buying singles - open stock of a few brands (using those coupons!) , after Christmas broke down and bought the Schminke test set from Dick Blick. Thought I was pretty cool with that! I am lacking lots of colors though and painting to meet my palette! LOL If I want to paint something besides animals I'm going to have to cough up some $$! LOL Happy for you - hope you can take me being a little jealous though! :envy:

dlake
01-17-2006, 01:28 PM
bj,
Everyone starts out with a little bit. It takes time to first find pastels you like and then build up your stock. and not everyone has the money to spend on buying alot at once - i surely don't. Then, there is all the other things, like paper, supports, boxes, ect. wow. My collection is nothing to make people go "OOOOOOOO". Maybe in a few years but, unless you want to go without eating (or utilities for non payment) it will take some time. Don't sweat it. It's still going to be nice to see yours. It's nice to know what people like, what they are doing - building up or already there. No one judges. Be proud of your collection.
Diane

bjcpaints
01-17-2006, 02:54 PM
bj,
Everyone starts out with a little bit.
Maybe in a few years but, unless you want to go without eating (or utilities for non payment) it will take some time. Don't sweat it.
No one judges. Be proud of your collection.
Diane

Sorry Diane. Must be the diet making me grouchy!! I did not mean to come off as someone with a bad attitude. I am not normally that way - well , the jealousy part is probably true though.
:rolleyes:
Barbara

Khadres
01-17-2006, 03:44 PM
Hey, if you have the colors you need to paint whatever it is you want to, why worry otherwise??? We do like to brag about our sticks, I'm the first to admit, but when push comes to shove it's what we do with them that really counts and you've got me beat, hands down!

I do love to look at all the lovely colors...and I'll NEVER have ALL of them even if I try, but it's fun to dream.

maddy777
01-17-2006, 06:45 PM
ooooh i'm so envious :D
my little supply is ok but i never have the colour i want when i want it :D

jackiesimmonds
01-17-2006, 06:51 PM
What fascinates me is this...do people keep their pastels sorted by manufacturer, or by a colour system?

I tend to keep my hard pastels separate from my soft ones, because they are used for different purposes...but all my soft ones, no matter whose, I keep sorted in colour ranges, and separated out into lights, mediums and darks. Having to dig around in different MANUFACTURERS sets, would drive me nuts, but I guess it is different strokes for different folks!

CindyW
01-17-2006, 07:08 PM
What fascinates me is this...do people keep their pastels sorted by manufacturer, or by a colour system?

I sort by color for 2 reasons.
1. I like the convenience of my tackle bag....all the flat boxes spread out on my table and they pack up like a charm and in a matter of minutes when I travel. So, I don't have the space to sort by manufacturer if I want to tote them all with me here and there. I also don't have many different manufacturer types so I can tell easily what is what.

2. I LOVE rainbow setups and having ALL my colors sorted by color makes me intensely happy and I feel VERY organized. No reaching for 5 boxes for the same shade of blue.

This works best for me at this point. Another year may tell a different story.
Cindy

Khadres
01-17-2006, 07:17 PM
I'm still doing a bit of both methods...those sticks I've already broken up and use lots are in a huge jumble, loosely sorted by hue and value (very loosely, I'm afraid). The rest are grouped together by brand if only because they fit in trays easier that way. Eventually, I hope to get them all organized together...if I ever figure out a way to do that space-effective wise.

dlake
01-17-2006, 07:44 PM
Cindy, I agree with you. Rainbows make me happy. I think all of us are color freaks and how ever we can make them look thier best and show off the beautiful colors is what we strive for. It is a proud possession.

BJ: Wasn't trying to scold and am sorry if I came off that way. I get so jealous of the beautiful sets everyone has and wish my collection was built up that much.
I was sympathizing with you. I am trying to build up my collection too and know how it feels. I also did not want you to feel bad about the collection you already had. I wanted you to be happy about it. We with pitiful collections need to stick together! lol.
Okay, Okay. I took pics and will show what softies I do have. They are Great American Artworks and Art Spectrums. I need brighter colors. I think I'm getting bright one and they are muted when they come. Why I'm taking Glorias advise to buy a color chart. lol
Dont' laugh:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2006/73610-000_0072.JPGhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2006/73610-000_0073.JPGhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2006/73610-000_0074.JPGhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2006/73610-000_0075.JPG

I told you it was pitiful and needs brighter and primary colors still.
Diane

DFGray
01-17-2006, 08:25 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2006/1921-pastelsm.jpg
by manufacturer in studio,
a bit of everything for the field
this is about as fat as I get!

dlake
01-17-2006, 08:30 PM
A working studio. Very cool. I love all your boxes for pastels. I also love the tables. Really love them.
A very cool studio and pastel collection
Diane

silverhalo
01-17-2006, 11:44 PM
My, what gorgeous pastel stashes you all have! :D

I sort by color for 2 reasons.
2. I LOVE rainbow setups and having ALL my colors sorted by color makes me intensely happy and I feel VERY organized. No reaching for 5 boxes for the same shade of blue.

This works best for me at this point. Another year may tell a different story.
Cindy

Cindy, regarding the rainbow set-ups, I've seen them and they look GORGEOUS, but I'm neurotic about keeping my new Unison pastels in the block box with the foam inserts that they CAME in... how do you store your pastels in the rainbow set-up in a safe way? If I take all of my different pastels out of their boxes and throw 'em together, I'm worried that they'll all get dirty/broken! :confused:

dlake
01-18-2006, 12:50 AM
I am the same way. I like to keep them in the box they come in. If I put them in my art box I take the foams they are in and put them in my box the same way they came in thier original box.
Diane

CindyW
01-18-2006, 01:45 AM
My, what gorgeous pastel stashes you all have! :D

Cindy, regarding the rainbow set-ups, I've seen them and they look GORGEOUS, but I'm neurotic about keeping my new Unison pastels in the block box with the foam inserts that they CAME in... how do you store your pastels in the rainbow set-up in a safe way? If I take all of my different pastels out of their boxes and throw 'em together, I'm worried that they'll all get dirty/broken! :confused:
Hi Wenjia! Here's a link from last August showing my stash at the bottom of this post....post #27 in a thread started by Sandy about shows.
My thoughts are this on my precious Unisons...(and they ARE VERY precious to me since they are my choice of materials...I have some rembrandts and some nupastels, have yet to try Terry Ludwigs, Great Americans, or any others, would LOVE to, as well as make my own, but....)....
My 3 1/2 sets of Unisons sat in their boxes for a year and a half, close to two years, and I coveted them, drooled over them, watched them as they looked so pretty, all full sticks and not used because I didn't have time for the perfect artwork. I was very neurotic with them!! (YOU used yours, I bet, didn't keep em on a desk to just drool over and not ever use, like me!) Someday I'd get to finally use them. Well, this past summer I was asked to be in a show with my husband and I agreed...but they had to be transported to and from my parents' home and other various places I would be painting and it had to be VERY portable with all the back and forthing I would be doing. And with the portability came my loosening of the box attachment I loved to see them in. I have 3 wooden gorgeous boxes they came in BUT they are so HEAVY that they were useless for my needs. And they didn't have good carrying handles, and besides, I couldn't carry all of them in their boxes with any kind of ease. I DID carry all the wooden boxes in a canvas bag for a month or so and just about broke my back so that certainly wasn't working either...the canvas fishing tackle box I have now with thin plastic boxes inside works for me, both in laying out on a table and in travel lightness. You can put a thin strip of the foam in the thin boxes so if the tackle box flips over, they don't break.
So, once I got my head away from the beautiful wooden boxes they arrived in, they became less priceless and costly jewels and started being my tool of art. This is the important point that helped me through this: I have all like colors together so they aren't as messy/dirty as it sounds. That is so important!!! And they aren't as fragile as we think... I have yet to have a broken piece because of my current setup.
It was very freeing one night when I screeched across 4 pieces of Wallis, no less, with full force with all of my energy and I USED THOSE BABIES WITH GUSTO!!!!! :clap::clap::clap: I highly recommend this exercise. Of course, I don't use them quite as forcefully now but I just needed to let go of my need to keep them away from paper and the light of day. :wink2: I really like it that they don't have as much power over me. I tend to collect things and I felt like I was collecting them instead of using them.
With all that said, if I could've used them in the boxes they came in and been able to have room for all of them on my working table as well as transport them easily, they would still be in their boxes. ;)
Paint away is what is most important so happy painting!!! :wave:
Cindy

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279064

Artistammy
01-18-2006, 10:15 AM
I think it's much faster & easier to find the color you're looking for when they're not separated out too much. I have my hards & softs separate. Then I have my NuPastels separate to remind me only to use them for the underpart as they are not all lightfast. I haven't been good about making a color chart & documenting what's what so when I ever use up one I don't know if I'll be able to tell what to reorder. I do still have paper on some of the softs with the name but that way I haven't been using the sides to stroke to make all those painterly looks. Mine in my travel box are out of the paper & I like it but sometimes it's difficult for us to let go of these ideas to keep them a certain way. :rolleyes:
So there's some reasoning for the rainbow look but do what's comfortable for you.
Tammy

KJSCL
01-19-2006, 12:29 AM
I really like it that they don't have as much power over me. I tend to collect things and I felt like I was collecting them instead of using them.

So, once I got my head away from the beautiful wooden boxes they arrived in, they became less priceless and costly jewels and started being my tool of art.

Cindy - boy truer words have never been spoken!! I was the same way, all these pastels looking just beautiful in their boxes, it was like they were there to be admired NOT to be used. Now they are all broken in half, one half in my toolchest, the other half still in their wrapper in the original box. When the first half is used, the other half comes out and a new one bought to replace it.

I've got my hard, medium and soft pastels each stored separately by color and value. I know exactly where to look for the right color and softness and the best part is it doesn't matter anymore what brand it is. That being said, you can easily tell what brand of soft ones you're using by its size and the way it goes on the paper. Still can't tell the difference between my Rembrandts and Maimeris tho!!

CindyW
01-19-2006, 07:07 PM
....Now they are all broken in half, one half in my toolchest, the other half still in their wrapper in the original box. When the first half is used, the other half comes out and a new one bought to replace it.....

Kathy, that is a good way to go about keeping track of when to replace colors!! Wow, thanks for the tip!
Ain't it great to use them with no holds barred? :eek: :evil: Woo hoo!!
Cindy

CindyW
01-19-2006, 07:14 PM
....Then I have my NuPastels separate to remind me only to use them for the underpart as they are not all lightfast.....
Tammy

Tammy, thanks for reminding me of the NuPastels lightfastness point...the years pass so quickly, it would be a shame to have work fade through the years that one takes time to create.
I have a poster paint painting my daughter did last year here on my wall at work and it's fading quite a bit just in one year. I expected that to fade but it's a great reminder to myself for my own work, to use pastels with some working knowledge of their qualities, if I want to have work look as good as the day I painted it.
Cindy

dlake
01-19-2006, 07:20 PM
I'm thinking of the one painting I really liked that I did. Poppies in a field with a couple as the centerpiece and it is so faded you would think it was done by hard pale pencils. It was my first painting in pastels and my favorite. That was a year ago. And I'm angsting over whether to pick up some polychromo sticks. Shame on me.
Thanks Cindy
Diane

HarvestMoon
01-19-2006, 07:55 PM
Dan- where the heck did you get those 'brand name' pastel trays????? Inquiring minds want to know......... doubt they are available to the mere public...
Linda

PS- the BEST thing in the new International artist mag is the picture of the cool box of pastels... arranged by color...

DFGray
01-19-2006, 08:07 PM
Hi Linda
I've been at this a long while...
and in the long ago past I would buy out art store racks as no one else was doing pastels and the stores would give me a deal if I took it all
I have three of the rembrandt displays (including the current version)
and one old grumbacher metal display

HarvestMoon
01-19-2006, 09:18 PM
Dan- wow- I admire perserverience, however you spell it, and begging... I got a great paper rack the same way....if I had an art supply store, I might just go out of business and say - it's all MINE.....
Linda

dlake
01-20-2006, 05:52 PM
Linda, if you had an art store you'd be giving things away to your friends! lol. And I'd be pleading with you to throw me scraps. hahaha
Diane