GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Sarah's Leaves
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 11X14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Carriage Bridge in Acadia Nat'l Park close to Jordon Pond. The color variance and mortar lines on the rocks does not come through as detailed as on the painting.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Looking for advice on bringing a detailed tree forward while still keeping it light with the darker stone work in the background.

Corby
01-12-2006, 11:00 PM
Beautiful composition. A nice array of greens and the values in my estimation are good. Beautifully done. You asked about doing a light colored detailed tree on a dark background. Well, one way that some strongly object to is the use of miskit to save your whites and other light elements. Next to that it is a matter of dexterity and precision, knowing what you want and how to get there. Cut around your trees major elements, perhaps use a sponge or wadded tissue to blot up and soften your work so you have no hard lines and then when dry paint your tree into the manipulated area.

This is actually an area where some of the good watercolorists on here can help. I primarily work in oils though I have had some successful shows of Watercolor. By the way, it looks to me like you already have a good command of the procedure you inquire about. Your foreground tree on the left is quite nice!

Sharonannie
01-13-2006, 12:24 AM
Thank you for your kind comments and you are correct on my preference not to use masking, if at all possible. I will try the wadden tissue to soften. The tree at the left was my concern.

Corby
01-13-2006, 01:21 AM
The method of which I was speaking should only be used I think in the painting process. I would not go back into a dry and completed work and try to make an alteration.

HRobinson
01-13-2006, 05:02 PM
Although I am not a watercolorist I have a great deal of appreciation for your color variations which has come to us as a result of your particular sensitivities when YOU are perceiving them.

I have approached this particular critique with a show and tell just for you. As each of those layers are parallel to one another in their respective positions upon the bridge itself, they will all approach the same vanishing point when viewed from our perspective.

Those lighter lines I have added show those parallels more true to the VP whilst those in red show those parallels which are not. If you were an oiler it would be an easy fix I rekon.:) Once you do fix that you will not only see it is right but I'm confident that one of your ability will "feel" it as well.

Best. -Harry

Spyderbabe
01-13-2006, 05:57 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2006/23281-Image3.jpg

I'm not sure if this will help you but I think if you darken your shadows under the bridge and put some warm tones into that tree ....

Sharonannie
01-13-2006, 06:08 PM
OK! I definately see what you are saying and I so much appreciate the time you have taken to share you expertise, not only with me, but all who are learning.

As you are already aware, this must be a "do-over" rather than a correction or alteration. Maybe the snow will be layered upon the branches and the little critters will have left their footprints in the snow when the perspective is accurate.

Thank you!!!!! Sharon