PDA

View Full Version : The Dirt Biker: Open Studio today, Thurs

DLGardner
01-12-2006, 08:14 PM
Here's todays open studio work. This young man is the brother to my other portrait commission and his mom is going to be buying this one too. I have lots of work to do on it but the three hour sessions always have a kind of finished look of its own. It won't be staying like this.

16 X 20
oils
3 hours
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2006/8002-Chet1.jpg

Dianne

Lorijo
01-12-2006, 11:42 PM
He is looking great Dianne, I bet his mom is thrilled! Lori

DLGardner
01-13-2006, 12:20 AM
She likes it so far Lori, but it can be much better. I have work to do!

We have so much fun at our open studio though. I always cook a big pot of soup and everyone brings some goodies. One fella makes homemade bread. Oh... and we paint too.
:)

JamieWG
01-13-2006, 06:19 AM
We have so much fun at our open studio though. I always cook a big pot of soup and everyone brings some goodies. One fella makes homemade bread. Oh... and we paint too.
:)

I wanna come! :D

Looks great, Dianne. Wow, your portraits have come a long way over the last few years! Good for you for continuing to work long and hard at them. You're really reaping the benefits of all that effort now.

See y'all Tuesday. I'm going away for a long weekend. :wave:

Jamie

James or Jimmy Jim
01-13-2006, 07:48 AM
Good work Dianne. Three hours, lucky you.

DLGardner
01-13-2006, 08:59 AM
Thank you Jamie! We want you to come too! Where are you going for a 3 day weekend???

Jim, thanks. Yes three hours. I host the open studio at my home. Some artists friends from our art association come to my house and we each chip in $10 and pay the model. We were going four but most folks thought that was too long so now we only do 3. I'd like to do some quick studies but the other artists like just one pose so they can get a fairly finished painting done. Others just do sketches and most everyone is working on portrait work although a few do the figure. I may introduce the quick sketch thing soon again though. We don't do nudes though.

Dianne

DLGardner
01-17-2006, 08:49 PM
I thought I'd post this portrait's progression even though what I did today is with the aid of a photo reference. I don't know if we are allowed to do that here or not. Anyway, I still have a bit more to go on the eyes especially, and his outfit and his helmet...and his ear.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2006/8002-Chet2.jpg
Dianne

I'm sorry, this is an oil painting 16 X 20 on stretched canvas.

LarrySeiler
01-18-2006, 10:38 PM
fun fun fun....very cool Dianne!!!!

and cool paintin' the embodiment of cool!!!! AS in, kaa'oooooool!

Larry

DLGardner
01-18-2006, 10:48 PM
Lol, thanks Larry!

I will be posting the final in a couple of days. His eyes are driving me crazy because my ref photo is bad. I might have to get him to come and sit again.

Thanks for looking! Hey, while you are at it would you go to the Lady Washington painting in 'studio from plein air' forum and tell me what ya think?

Thanks
Dianne

DLGardner
01-26-2006, 07:31 PM
I'm completely done. Signed sealed and delivered.

Thought I'd share. Please look!
Dianne
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jan-2006/8002-chetf.jpg

Lorijo
01-26-2006, 08:43 PM
He looks wonderful! I'll bet his mom is thrilled! Everything looks perfect to me, proportions, values, its a great piece of work. Lori

ChuckL
01-26-2006, 09:05 PM
...I looked...and I liked!!!
Great Portrait Diane, I love seeing the finished painting in comparison with the first draft. ( obviously I wasn't in here before:rolleyes: )
Glad I stopped in now!
..chuck

DLGardner
01-26-2006, 09:43 PM
Great Portrait Diane, I love seeing the finished painting in comparison with the first draft
Yah, its got its own kind of little evolution doesn't it? Its actually kind of funny.

Thanks Chuck, and Lori.

Dianne