PDA

View Full Version : eBay listings - what % do you sell

cagathoc
02-05-2002, 10:35 AM
What percentage of your eBay listings ends up selling?

sketchdude
02-05-2002, 12:46 PM
It seems like a pessimistic poll. Very detailed under 50% and nothing but one choice for over 50%.
Don't plan your failures too carefully.

CarlyHardy
02-05-2002, 02:24 PM
My expectations when I first began selling at ebay were "0". I didn't want to have high hopes and get depressed over the results...lol. So when my first painting actually sold...I was elated!

My first year I sold about 90% of my overall listings, but I didn't list any paintings during July-August (which is a long summer slump) and I stopped listing the first of November (skipping the holiday slump). My percentage would have been lower, I think, if I had listed during those slower times.

I began listing this year in mid January...and sales have been good so far. My clients from last year are still watching for my art!! You might ask if good sales last year have my expectations for this year raised a bit? No..I don't want to set expectations...I'd rather set goals. Goals for my painting - to improve! Goals for my business - to give the best service possible!

And hopefully, those two things will improve sales!
carly

sketchdude, you could have given actual percentage in your reply.

sketchdude
02-05-2002, 04:13 PM
If I count the actual listings for my own paintings, It's probably 85 to 90%. If I count the paintings I've sold, all but one, a landscape that I have listed 2.5 times, .5 for the first listing I cancelled after 2 days because I was unhappy with the "featured" option. I want $450.00 for it and have recieved 2 offers both way under $300.00.
I also list paintings for my mom, who's work has always been a bit more popular than my own. She has sold 99% of hers.
I don't know how to count the non-paying bidders, one painting was sold to another eBayer in an off eBay sale, another no-payer eventually mailed a payment to me and then recieved their painting and gave me positive feedback after I left negative feedback for them.
And then there is Yahoo auctions, I listed my landscape over there twice because the fees were cheaper, and am batting 3000 on no-sales over there. I stopped listing there because my html was being changed, and the picture links on my page weren't working.
I tend to look at the online auction thing in terms of what I want to achieve with it. Right now my goal is to get my web pages working together, so that the auctions, my home page and the gallery page I'm building function together as one big website. Maybe when I get a couple of years of sales under my belt, I'll have more patience for sitting down and thinking about statistics.

Sumafra
02-06-2002, 01:00 AM
I'm not quite sure how to vote here. On any set of auctions running at the same time, I'll sell 30 to 50% of them. However, at the end of the year, I would say I sold 70 to 80% of the paintings I tried to sell. I just had to list them more than once.

tammy
02-06-2002, 11:42 PM
I sell about 60% of mine.

timelady
02-07-2002, 07:03 PM
I agree with Sumafra. Maybe 30-40% of current listing will sell, but the trick is in relisting. With relisting considered I probably sell about 75-80% of my eBay work, if you just count the number of works total and not the listings paid for.

Tina.

arteitaliana
02-07-2002, 11:37 PM
I sell almost 100% of my listings...but I also spend a lot on fees because I do a lot of featured auction.(all featured in January, now I am doing 50% featured and 50% two categories listing).
I consider ebay not just a selling opportunity but also a promotional tool. The more people see my listings the more will visit my site. The more satisfied clients, the more repeat sales. The more bids on an item the better....
It's a strategy that is costing me a lot of money but has been working quite well.

Paintbrush74
02-08-2002, 04:28 PM
Does it count if 3 of your recent auctions were won by one bidder who still has not sent payment? The listings closed on January 10th. He has emailed me his good intentions, but I've decided that I will no longer sell them to him. I've made other plans for them. I don't feel obligated at all at this late date. I filed a non-paying bidder alert, but I'm going to email him and tell him not to worry about sending any money; I'm through with that little dance.

Paintbrush74
02-08-2002, 04:35 PM
Posted by Rita
It's a strategy that is costing me a lot of money but has been working quite well.

Rita,
Are you making more that it's costing? Of course, I realize that even if you are not, the exposure may be worth it in the long run.

Lenora

arteitaliana
02-08-2002, 07:51 PM
yes...I am making more than is costing: about two times more than what I spend( around $300 in total fees every month)some of the pieces go for little, some go for more....But the commissions and sales from my websites are the extra bonus that makes the expense worthwhile. Of course I also try and paint better and better every day and ebay has helped me with that also. The letters from my happy customers give me the confidence necessary for improvement!! So, I consider ebay a very positive experience, it has worked well for me in more ways than I hoped or thought possible.

cagathoc
02-09-2002, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the great comments!

and {{{Rita}}}

I'm so glad you are doing well at eBay!!! Your work is fantastic and you deserve it!

:D

CathyD
02-10-2002, 04:05 PM
Rita, I just checked out your website. It is really wonderful. I admire your work and the spectrum of color you use. Once in awhile you run across an artist whose work inspires you to work harder at improvement on your own work. Your art is an inspiration. Thank you!
Cathy

arteitaliana
02-10-2002, 04:57 PM
Thanks guys...you are making me blush!!
:D

jackddavis
05-09-2002, 11:41 AM
This answer to this is dependent on the listing(s). I have little doubt that I could sell near 100% if I list at .01 without a reserve.
A better question, in my view, would be how many of those that do sell do you get a fair price? A fair price would be one that, at least covered your costs and a reasonable profit.

CarlyHardy
05-09-2002, 04:48 PM
Jack, on all the items I list, I start the bidding at what I consider a fair price (one that I am happy with if that's the only bid I get).
I did a few auctions beginning them at a penny but I did put a reserve on them at what I considered a "fair price". I sold only one of those but did get a lot of bids. I decided that for me starting my bids at my "fair price" was more practical and the bidders seem to find that acceptable.

It has been slow lately, but I'm still doing well over 50% in my sales...no complaints with that!
carly

jackddavis
05-09-2002, 05:12 PM
carly, I'd say you are doing very well......Almost too well, in fact, maybe you should raise your expectations (prices)....;)

I have had some success selling on eBay, but not enough to make me excited about listing there real often. As you probably know, my art work is bulky, heavy and hard to ship. I recently sold a fish ( http://www.hmds.ws/fish_sculpture.htm ) through eBay and got a good price for it ($250+$30 packaging). The UPS charges came to just over $50.00 to ship to GA (from OR). It probably only weighed about 20# but due to the size, it had to go at the 70# rate.

What I have been able to document, however is that when I have a nice piece listed, I get a big jump in traffic to my web site. This alone, make it worthwhile to list occasionally. I just don't depend on eBay to pay the bills. In fact if you consider the costs to list those that don't sell, the few that do don't cover my costs. I just consider it good advertising.

arlene
05-09-2002, 05:48 PM
I've only been doing it for 3 weeks now, but i've made a 70% profit even including in the ones that didn't sell...

pampe
05-11-2002, 12:29 PM
I don't know how to take all this....I have sold almost everything I have listed, but it may take 3-4 lisitings

I would love higher prices.....but I started low and reasonable and have gone up a little....since I see unmatted and unframed...it is a pretty good return.

BUT

I would love to sell higher and don't know exactly when or how to try it.

This is a great thread though

thanks
Pam

arlene
05-11-2002, 01:47 PM
Pampe when you sell low are u at least making up the cost of your materials and time and effort? Not only the work you put into the piece, but your time in getting it up on ebay, etc...and your promotional materials...they should all figure into your cost...otherwise you're losing money.

when i say i'm running about 30% in commissions paid, I figure I'm still ahead because when i factor in all my costs, i come out ahead.

pampe
05-11-2002, 07:59 PM
oh, sure, Arlene...that and then some, but it still seems low......:eek:

Guess I am getting hungry for more....and it is hard to make the shift from a regular paycheck to this sporatic life....BUT

I am loving it:cat: