PDA

View Full Version : Library Exhibition Photos

Bill Foehringer
01-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Here they are. The lighting is not the best sorry. The venue.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2006/51770-Elgin_Library_Outside_front.jpg

As you walk in...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2006/51770-Elgin_Library_Front_First_Wall.jpg

First Wall Frontal Shot...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2006/51770-Front_Wall_Frontal_View.jpg

Second Wall Front view
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2006/51770-Library_Exhibition__Middle_wall_beginning.jpg

Second Wall Rear view
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2006/51770-Middle_wall_Library_rear_view.jpg

Rear Wall
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2006/51770-Elgin_Library_Display_Rear_Wall.jpg

Again sorry for the lighting. Thanks for looking. BillF

Bringer
01-12-2006, 08:01 PM
Hi Bill,

I like the way you displayed your works, especially taking in account the sort of space provided.
Can you tell us what what the most common comments that you've been getting untill now, namely what people say about the medium ?

Regards,

Josť

PeggyB
01-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Wow Bill this is impressive. How many paintings did you hang? Your library building is good looking too.

Peggy

Khadres
01-12-2006, 08:13 PM
VERY nice display!

khourianya
01-12-2006, 08:45 PM
WOW! This is spectacular, Bill! When you were talking about a library exhibition - I had no idea it would be of this scale! Hooray for you! Now, let th sales begin :D (I know it isn't a show and sale thing, but you never know when the customers will come)

dlake
01-12-2006, 08:54 PM
I didn't know you had your works on show. How wonderful! Your paintings are beautys. I bet you get alot of positive fb.

Bill Foehringer
01-12-2006, 09:06 PM
I spoke briefly with the assistant director and she said I've had quite an interest generated in my work. 37 paintings 30 alla prima enplein air and 7 studio alla prima. Plus 3 small informational plaques about painting en plein air incl. an 'About the Artist' plaque with contact info. Thanks All, Dinner's ready!!!! BillF

fortysomething
01-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Bill, this is a really spectacular display. :cool: I know you must be beaming with pleasure all over inside. :D If you'll beam outwardly, the lighting won't be such a problem. ;)

Bill, I'm really happy for you. Congratulations! :clap:

Punky2
01-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Bill, this looks great!
I live near your area and I know this library. It is near the bike path and I ride my bike past it alot during the summer.
I will have to go see your paintings up close!

Terri

Kathryn Wilson
01-13-2006, 08:29 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Congratulations Bill! What a great place to display paintings - and you certainly filled up the space nicely.

Now the customers will flood in - keep us updated!

scall0way
01-13-2006, 10:35 AM
wow, looks great.

Bill Foehringer
01-13-2006, 10:55 AM
Thanks Lisa as dark as it's been I'd have to beam as brightly as the sun, Terri if you do get over to the library look for the two paintings I did of Walton Island, Kat well I came into just enough money to pay for the framing materials and a roll of Kitty's museum paper so I thought I'd go for it. Hope I sell enough to pay for the frames, and Debbie C Thanks it feels great but scary!!! Tomorrow I have a meet the artist time posted so we'll see how that goes. BillF

ColorMyWorld
01-13-2006, 02:19 PM
Bill, the display looks great!
I'm going to try to get over there tomorrow to get a look in person!

bluefish
01-14-2006, 09:28 AM
Bill:

Your paintings really brightened up that 'shabby' building - just kidding - your show and library are spectacular - best of luck with any sales or commissions that come your way! Really nicely displayed!

'bluefish'

Punky2
01-14-2006, 08:07 PM
Bill,

I saw your exhibit. Beautiful work! And the library is really cool too.

Terri

DMcGowan
01-15-2006, 12:14 AM
So, Bill...how did it go today? Meet the artist, etc.? Let's hear about it, ok?

Bill Foehringer
01-16-2006, 10:45 AM
Terri and Ann! Thanks for taking the time to come take a look! I appreciate it very much. I intend to be at the Library the next three Saturday mornings for more 'meet the artist' times. No one showed up specifically to 'meet the artist'. That's OK the only sign I put up was at the library. With more experience I would have known to find ways to publicize the display in advance.
I set up my painting rig with a work-in-progress from Thursday. People looked but kept walking.
Someone affiliated with the local AAUW (American Association of University Women?) asked for my card to send me an application to participate in their summer arts festival.
An article about me appeared in the Elgin Courior News Sunday 01-15-06. In the Lifestyles section. You can see it on the paper's websight. It showed a B&W reproduction of one of my paintings and a lengthy text. Some inaccuracies cropped in but it was cool.
So between my press-release, which was printed just as I wrote it, in the other paper and Sunday's article maybe some interest will be generated for next weekend.
I don't have any connections to the local arts scene, yet. This is where I can improve.
On Sunday, when I took my wife over to see the exhibit, I met a couple of ladies who had seen the Sunday article and came right from church to see my works. One lady wants to commission a painting of her Dutch Colonial home.
While at the library I noticed people stop as they walked along the wall when a particular painting caught their eye.
It may be that between the articles and word of mouth more people will show up next Saturday or I may begin to receive inquiries.
I won't be discouraged because I know building up recognition takes time, years. This whole endeavor is a learning process. I should have included a mention of the 'meet the artist' times in the press release and interview!!!! Duh! So next time I'll know and to any of you who are doing something like this make sure you mention times you'll be there. It's the whole point of having an exhibition, to make yourself known!!!!!!!! Duh! This is how I learn, the hard way.
On Saturday I left the library to finish the painting I started Thursday Noon. The light was the same. It's a painting that has some good points but I can improve with further attempts. We have to paint the shapes and colors we see, I'm beginning to understand what that means. I'll post it tonight here and in plein air with a photo ref.
Thanks so much for coming to see my exhibition!! BillF

HarvestMoon
01-16-2006, 11:23 AM
wow- they are really set up for doing wonderful displays- lovely building- how do you build a curved building out of square lumber? anyway- the paintings look wonderful - you should be really proud! Did you lurk around the shelves and listen to the people gasp in amazement at the art? Would be fun...
Linda

Bill Foehringer
01-16-2006, 12:10 PM
Thanks Linda! Sunday,when I took my wife over to see the display, I did watch a couple of ladies peering at the inside edge of my paintings to see how I spaced the glass away from the pastels. After they had knocked the painting out-of-kilter I went over and introduced myself. One of them wanted me to do her Dutch Colonial Home. I suppose I should be there more often...... An article about me did appear in the Elgin Courier News Sunday paper with a B&W reprod. of one of my house paintings. I can't get the link to work, sorry. BillF

Bill Foehringer
01-16-2006, 03:03 PM
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/couriernews/features/3_5_el15_gailbordenart_s1.htm
Try this! Finally! Copy url to word then paste back into link box and the link is saved. Just typing the url in doesn't work for me.
The paragraph with mention of Delacroix is garbled. I never even mentioned Delacroix and Turner came up because she asked what painters I liked. 'Plein photo painting' is just plain garbled. She did get the method correct at the beginning of the article though. The fall painting mentioned was recently not 1.5 yrs ago. Also the last two sentences are a jumble of what I actually said. Make sure you do your own press release. If someone wants to quote you then at least you are on record in case they garble the message. Ok enough of the PR on to new paintings. I've hardly done anything since Christmas Eve. Thanks for looking! BillF