PDA

View Full Version : Work shop Dianna Ponting

*Marina*
01-12-2006, 07:22 PM
I read on Dianna's website that she is planning a series of work shops in the UK. I wondered about travelling to the UK to attend one. She is planning one very close to the ferry across the North Sea so it would be quite easy for me to get there. Has anybody done a work shop with her before? Really interested to hear your experiences.

Bringer
01-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Hi,

I haven't but I will if you pay me one ...........:-)

Regards,

Josť

P.S. you don't have to pay me a stay in a 5 star hotel, 4 will be enough

*Marina*
01-12-2006, 09:27 PM
OK Bringer, I will first have to win the lottery.

prettytulips
01-12-2006, 11:19 PM
I set up a workshop for Diana in Southern California too for sometime in the fall. I can't wait!

binkie
01-12-2006, 11:41 PM
Do you have any more info. on Diana's Southern California workshop? I want to attend!

binkie

M Douglas
01-13-2006, 12:55 AM
I attended a workshop with Dianna last fall and will be going to another of hers next weekend. I had never worked with pastels before so it was quite an experience but under Dianna's gentle guidance I came home with a credible piece of art and tons of information. As well as the actual art work we had a quick demo on framing, discussed marketing, talked about different types of pastels, papers and tools.

I would definately recommend taking a Ponting workshop.

Needless to say i'm already getting excited about the next class.

Melodie

Dark_Shades
01-13-2006, 04:11 AM
I havent attended one, But I FULL intend to when she comes here :)

Cant Wait

Woooooo hooooooooooooooo

*Marina*
01-13-2006, 01:06 PM
Dark Shades, which one are you planning to go to?

prettytulips
01-13-2006, 10:43 PM
Well, Binki, it's going to be in San Clemente and it's sometime in the fall. We don't have a set date yet, but will soon. What part of southern CA are you in?

binkie
01-14-2006, 12:55 AM
I'm approximately 35 miles north of San Diego. I would love to attend her workshop!

binkie

prettytulips
01-14-2006, 04:13 AM
In in Dana Point so we are close. As soon as there is more info, I'll tell you all about it. PM me and I will send you my email address.

Dark_Shades
01-14-2006, 06:41 AM
Dark Shades, which one are you planning to go to?

Hi Applebee, Im hoping to go to the Suffolk one....... but would consider them all lol if that wasnt possible

*Marina*
01-15-2006, 06:22 AM
Hi Dark Shades, I would like to get to the Suffolk one. Should be fun. Would be nice to meet other WC-ers.

Dark_Shades
01-15-2006, 06:27 AM
Hey applebee.............. hope to see you there - yes wouldnt it be great to meet other WC'ers - cant wait

*Marina*
01-16-2006, 05:55 PM
Melody, I missed you were going to a workshop of Dianna. Was that last weekend or this coming weekend. Anyway could you let us know how you got on.

M Douglas
01-16-2006, 08:18 PM
It's coming up this weekend Jan 21 & 22. I'll tell you all about it.

Melodie

*Marina*
01-16-2006, 10:22 PM
Great.

Tich
02-06-2006, 04:26 PM
Hello Applebee

I read on another thread how much Shecat enjoyed herself at Dianna's workshop but I thought I would tell you about my experience. I was visiting in Vancouver, Canada and after twisting my non-painting friend's arm, called Dianna to see if I could come by her studio. WONDERFUL STUDIO by the way. She invited me to come out to a one drop-in session she was having there 3 days later. It was something like an open house for artists that want to see her studio, find out about what goes on in her classes and generally just pump her for information.

Wow what a day. I caught the tail end of a short demo on how to do water droplets on apples. Of course I forgot it by the time I got home but you can bet I am going to ask her how to do it again. In all we spent about 3 and a half hours there talking pastels, papers, framing, tools and techniques and listening to her answer anything anyone asked her. She even went on here to Wet Canvas to show some of them how easy it was to use. We were treated to one of what what I understand are her FAMOUS soups (and now I know why) and a glass of wine. Speaking of wine, she even has her photograph on a local vineyards wine label featuring known artists.

So we went away brimming energy and lots of ideas on building studios. Diana also physically built most of her studio. Although she is modest about it her husband isn't and we got to see all of the secret compartments and custom features. My friend was so impressed with her work that he bought a small painting for his wife so I didn't feel too much guilt for twisting his arm.

So I'm taking one of her workshops here, in the UK this spring. Probably either the one in Wales or in Scotland. I have to decide soon. I've paid my deposit but I have to wait a bit and see which one fits into my time off. I'm really looking forward to it. I just know you'll enjoy whichever one you're going to.

Ta Ta Tich :wave:

*Marina*
02-06-2006, 04:50 PM
Thanks a lot Tich for your enthousiastic story. Sounds as if you had a great day. I have signed up for the Suffolk workshop. Ferry and hotel are booked already. Really looking forward to it. Should be fun, also meeting other Wetcanvas people.

jackiesimmonds
02-07-2006, 05:19 AM
Marina, I think you should make every effort to attend one of Diana's workshops. The way she works is going to suit the way you like to work, so you will get on well with her approach -much better than with mine!!! don't worry about what anyone else says - just book it.

Jackie

*Marina*
02-07-2006, 07:03 AM
Jackie, I booked it already. I am all set to go, ferry and pub booked. Really looking forward to it. I learned a lot from you but in a different way and I had a lovely holiday in Greece. At the time that was just what I needed. No frustrations on my side. Hope not on your side either.

Trilby
02-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Wow! Ponting is bursting out all over. Montana, San Clemente and Hereford (Sierra Vista) Arizona as well as Canada and the UK. Dianna and I have just finalized dates and plans for a 2 day class in Hereford Arizona for Sept. 23,24, 2006 when all is gorgeous and green in our desert here. This is being sponsored by our Huachuca Art Association and our members will get preference but I would love to see some WC folk come too. Arizonians and New Mexicans and all the other Western and South Western folk take note as well as all of the Pastel forum. I'm so excited to be able to have her come here to my neck of the woods.
TJ

jackiesimmonds
02-08-2006, 04:00 AM
Jackie, I booked it already. I am all set to go, ferry and pub booked. Really looking forward to it. I learned a lot from you but in a different way and I had a lovely holiday in Greece. At the time that was just what I needed. No frustrations on my side. Hope not on your side either.

Don't worry Marina, I enjoyed your company, even if I didn't enjoy the frustration of feeling like I could not help enough at the time! But that is one of the trials of being a caring tutor - many tutors just don't bother to worry as much as I do!

I just have a strong sense that you will get a lot out of a workshop with Dianna, so it is great that you have booked it.

J