PDA

View Full Version : Got my Mt. Vision and Great American Samples

DrBrad
01-11-2006, 07:32 PM
Taking everyone's advice I ordered a sample box (15 each) of Mt. Vision and Great American pastels and I have to say I really like both. Not having used them seriously yet, I still think I'm going to prefer the Great Americans-- though it's a close call. And yes, I do like both better than Sennelier-- so I'm glad I listened to you all and gave them a try before committing myself to some other big set ;-)
Thanks!
-Brad

dlake
01-11-2006, 07:34 PM
What! No picture. I bought some GAs on the basis of the talk here. I am having a love affair with them. They are heaven.

KJSCL
01-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Ohhhh, I predict a serious spending spree in your near future! :evil:

Both the MV's and GA's are wonderful pastels, they just glide on the paper!

HarvestMoon
01-11-2006, 09:33 PM
I have a sick love affair with both- you scared me though Brad- I thought you meant the HARD GA's- and I have been on that list forever!!! Yeah, lets see pics in the 'pictures of pastel sets' thread PLEASE... we girls live for this stuff...
Linda

Khadres
01-11-2006, 10:26 PM
Ohhhhh, that sounds so yummy! New pastels!!!

DrBrad
01-12-2006, 12:23 AM
I am going to start a new dog portrait tomorrow and try to force myself to use some of the new soft pastels instead of relying on the pencils!

Khadres
01-12-2006, 12:25 AM
It's like when you were a kid and had a brand new box of Crayons....ya almost hate to use them at first! Dive in, have fun, get DUSTY!

dlake
01-12-2006, 12:32 AM
I'd just look and admire first. Afraid to mess them up. You know, eye candy.

Masque
01-17-2006, 09:28 AM
I am going to start a new dog portrait tomorrow and try to force myself to use some of the new soft pastels instead of relying on the pencils!

You've already felt a preference for the softies so I can't imagine too much force will be needed once you start. Those pencils will still get used for that extra tight detail. I find them excellent tools for pushing the soft pastels into little spaces. Where will you be posting your dog portrait? Soft Pastel Studio? Animals & Wildlife? Portraiture?

Along with all the rest of the WC pastel junkies I'm very interested in seeing both GA AND Mt. Visions in action. Hope you will share with us your actual experience in using them--you know--how they take to the surface your using, what pressure you find works best, how they blend, all that kinda good stuff.

I'm still waiting for My Great American's to arrive. Maybe today is the day [she said hopefully].

Dark_Shades
01-17-2006, 09:50 AM
Hi Brad..... can you tell me what sample sets you got.... and where from..... Im looking for some new pastels to try too

dlake
01-17-2006, 09:55 AM
Wow Gloria, you are also on a serious wait for art supplies? I've been waiting almost 2 weeks for mine. I'm thinking it's after xmas and stock is really low. I really hope yours comes today. Where did you buy them?
I took your advise on another thread and ordered a color chart for the Great American Artworks. Had to do alot of thinking first. 35.00 for a color chart? But, like you pointed out, you can take the paper off and know which one it is for replacement.
Brad - how are you enjoying those new pastels?? I bet after pencils you are having lots of fun!! I rely on pencils for details and so they won't be sitting in the corner.
Diane

Khadres
01-17-2006, 10:50 AM
I think Kelly (prettytulips) and I are on the "cursed" list! We ordered the full set of Mt. Visions to divide between us back before Xmas and still don't have it! Was shipped finally on the 8th, but NOW it seems to have gone missing in the UPS pipeline and there's no knowing when we'll get it! I'm beginning to wonder if the whole project has been jinxed by an evil Sennelier genie somewhere!

Artistammy
01-17-2006, 11:00 AM
I'm interested to see what you think of the Mount Visions compared to Sennellier. I don't know if I'm excited about the chunkier size & shape. I still haven't made up my mind about trying another brand...which & in what sample.
Tammy

dlake
01-17-2006, 11:36 AM
Sooz and Kelly, It may be that the evil Sennelier genie also hijacked mine as it had Great American Artworks in it. maybe the ghostbusters might try banishing it.
Tammy, You could go to Dakota Pastels and order a sample set. It has all the different soft pastels to try. One of each brand. That way you can see and try one without being stuck with a couple sticks. If you are trying to find which to order, do the one that has the colors you use the most.
Diane

RUNEMASTER
01-17-2006, 11:47 AM
I was just searching the net with "brightest pastels", and found nothing so i came here. Excuse me if i have not comprehended, but what would you all recommend as the brightest soft pastels? Great American?:wave:

dlake
01-17-2006, 12:29 PM
Rune, I can only tell you of the ones I have tried. Of those, I feel Great Americans and Art Spectrum have a great color and vibrancy. Now, I have not tried all of them so, maybe someone will know from using something like Bloxx or Ludwig, ect. I have heard several times that for a hard pastel that Faber Castell polychromos are the most vibrant.
Diane

Khadres
01-17-2006, 02:49 PM
Yes, GA's are great softies and the Polychromos are great hard pastels as far as brightness goes! Art Spectrum also has some standout colors as does Ludwig and even Sennelier. Check out the color swatches of all lines at the Fine Art Store: http://www.fineartstore.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/catalog.html&setup=1&ida=2&idp=0&his=0&cart_id=3398437.1176