PDA

View Full Version : Class started today...

DrBrad
01-11-2006, 06:23 PM
Well, the pastel class I'm taking started today. On the plus side the instructor is quite friendly, organized, and enthusiastic and showed some really nice realist portraits. On the negative side she works primarily in watercolor with only the occasional pastel. She doesn't really seem to have much knowledge of different papers and surfaces or pastel brands etc. etc. In fact it seems she was pressed into service when the original instructor cancelled. Worth taking, am sure I'll get something out of it, but maybe not quite what I was expecting. (Oh, and as anticipated ;-) everyone else in the class is female (of about 10 total). At 45ish I'm also by far the youngest individual there-- not that there's anything wrong with that!)
-Brad

PeggyB
01-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Oh darn, Brad how disappointing that the instructor doesn't really know much about the subject she was asked to teach. Were the other students aware of this fact? Does she know enough to realize the two mediums proceed from opposite directions in the order of application? (watercolor goes light to dark and as you know pastel from dark to light). They would have been better off having an oil instructor take over...

Please keep us informed and who knows. From what you've already learned here on WC you may find you are the "expert" in the class - LOL
Peggy

HarvestMoon
01-11-2006, 06:56 PM
Brad- well, count your blessings LOL- yes, it is a bummer to have a replacement instructor like that- on the other hand- you will probably have all those ladies going home having sweet dreams!!!
Linda

DrBrad
01-11-2006, 07:06 PM
I may have been unclear that the portraits she did were in fact pastel- and very nice. So she does have some knowledge and skill absolutely. I don't mean to say anything ill of her. But she considers herself a watercolorist and I believe she's not really that 'up' a wide variety of pastel materials or range of techniques. So I appreciate the sympathy! ;-)

dlake
01-11-2006, 07:10 PM
I start my class tonite and will let you know if it's any better. I am looking forward to it. As it's basically watercolors, that is probably why there are so many older women. They seem to like watercolors. Hope your class turns out better. Mine is also a painting (oils) class but, the teacher knows pastels well and said she'd help me. Write about it later

PeggyB
01-11-2006, 09:52 PM
I may have been unclear that the portraits she did were in fact pastel- and very nice. So she does have some knowledge and skill absolutely.

Well that's a relief.

Peggy

dlake
01-11-2006, 11:02 PM
I had art class this evening. It was great. The teacher is so good and it's a very sharing and supportive class. Everyone else was painting but, me. I am the only pastelist. Fun. dorothy, the teacher, loved my Great American pastels.
I think I'm going to learn alot and have alot of fun. One of the girls in the class is a Wet Canvas member in the oils section. How cool is that!

DrBrad
01-12-2006, 12:22 AM
Hey, no fair! Just kidding! Glad you had a bit more luck than I did.

dlake
01-12-2006, 12:35 AM
It isn't fair. We both should have a cool class. Mine is a bit more zen. Alot of art history and getting in touch with yourself and use it for art. Sounds weird but, I left with some great ideas popping in my head on the way home.
Brad, you should have a really cool experience in your art class. After paying for it and preparing and looking forward, it's not so fun if it's a bust. I do hope it'll get better. Give us updates. Maybe tomorrow or next week will be better.

Bringer
01-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Hi,

Now take a look at me being mean :evil:
I'm having oil painting classes twice a week (about 3 hours each class).
I only have to buy the canvases, all else is included in price.
And the price is .......50 Euro/month:p :p

Kind regards,

José

dlake
01-12-2006, 07:44 PM
You are really a brat! We have to supply our own. But, the class is affordable and it's going to be a great class. Still, you are a brat. lol.

PeggyB
01-12-2006, 08:07 PM
Jose, Diane is right - you are a brat! but a loveable one, and it is really cool that you don't have to heft anything but a canvas to class. The price is right too!

Peggy

dlake
01-12-2006, 08:54 PM
You tell him, Peggy!

DrBrad
01-12-2006, 09:41 PM
Well, my class was affordable too at least ;-)

dlake
01-12-2006, 10:01 PM
Brad, did you have class today? Mines once a week. At least in Arizona you have spectacular scenery.

DrBrad
01-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Mine's once a week too-- Wednesdays-- so won't have anything new to report for a week. 6 sessions in all. Yes, the scenery is great here :-) and we are having one of the nicest winters in memory (not that they are ever bad but this one has been wonderful).

dlake
01-12-2006, 11:00 PM
Brad, you are going to make me cry. I live in North Illinois. Right on the Wisconsin border. We have winter - ick- and not such an interesting landscape (though about hour north in Wisconsin it's really pretty).

DrBrad
01-18-2006, 05:06 PM
Well, went to second class today, and think that will be the last. The instructor means well and is a competent artist, but she really knows very very little about pastels. Ah well. I believe the other people in the class with zero pastel experience will benefit- but it was just too frustrating for me.

Kathryn Wilson
01-18-2006, 05:21 PM
Brad, I've always found the interaction with other artists stimulating and fun - even though they may be zero beginners, you may find later in the classes, they have things to offer.

If you have the time to devote to the classes, just go and have some fun and learn from watching others learn. You also have class time to work on something you want to work on, don't you?

PeggyB
01-18-2006, 06:16 PM
Brad, I've always found the interaction with other artists stimulating and fun - even though they may be zero beginners, you may find later in the classes, they have things to offer.

If you have the time to devote to the classes, just go and have some fun and learn from watching others learn. You also have class time to work on something you want to work on, don't you?

I agree with Kayle. Use this time to paint as though you were in your own home or studio. Go with few expectations from the instructor, and keep your ears open to what others are saying and experiencing. You may find you enjoy it more and will help to contribute to the learning of others (I know, not your responsibility, but you've probably heard the saying, "to teach is to learn".) When all is said and done hand the sponsor an honest critique to let them know you didn't appreciate having to pay for a class in which the instructor knew so little about the medium.

Peggy

Bringer
01-18-2006, 06:32 PM
Hi,

What peggy said : « to teach is to learn » is quite true. Recently I read an interview with a painter who owns an art school (if I can remember correctly) and he said that he would put his best students teaching the others as soon as possible since this is a great way to learn. Besides they can learn with each other.
As you may have read, I'm having oil lessons and my teacher is not a master painter, not even close. But he has alot to offer. He knows alot about Art History and has a great general culture. Afterall you don't want to talk about daughnuts (we say donuts) ingredients when someone asks you the ingredients of a pastel :-)
Mind also that (and if it's not heavy on your budget) it's also a way of making you practice. Creates discipline, which is very important.
Of course that if you can find better, then by all means !
But what about talking with your teacher and exposing what you feel ?

Regards,

José

DrBrad
01-18-2006, 06:50 PM
I'm actually a university professor so the teaching part is second nature ;-) In fact you have to work hard to get me to shut up and not take over most any forum ;-) Don't want to be obnoxious. The instructor is an ex-kindergarten teacher and it shows in her style. Works for some, but I just can't bear it-- sorry! I'll get more out of actually spending that time doing some work at home and reading this board. It was a noble experiment but moving on!

PeggyB
01-18-2006, 07:11 PM
I'm actually a university professor so the teaching part is second nature ;-) In fact you have to work hard to get me to shut up and not take over most any forum ;-) Don't want to be obnoxious. The instructor is an ex-kindergarten teacher and it shows in her style. Works for some, but I just can't bear it-- sorry! I'll get more out of actually spending that time doing some work at home and reading this board. It was a noble experiment but moving on!

Ahh - this expains it all. :D Some things really aren't worth the frustration, and it appears this is your limit. Can't say I blame you.

Hopefully in the future you'll find an instructor who will meet your needs. Living in Arizona, you have some art schools that offer short term workshops with nationally recognized instructors. One of them may work for you when your own university classes are in recession.

Peggy

dlake
01-18-2006, 07:16 PM
Brad, I am so sorry that class didn't work out for you. I know how I would feel after spending the money, getting excited over learning and progressing and then it not work out. I really feel lucky I found a good class - which is tonight, and feel really bad for you. But, don't give up. Maybe talk to the office or another place that teaches art and see what they have to offer. Maybe you have an arts council or art promoting place and talk to them. Tell them about the class and what you are looking for. Maybe they may know where to go. sometimes the best classes are taught in the not so obvious places.
Diane

DrBrad
01-18-2006, 07:27 PM
Thanks all! I'm really not a jerk ;-) I just don't have a lot of patience with being taught down to. The instructor is a nice person- I wish the class the best! I have taken several watercolor classes here in Tucson with some outstanding teachers-- but so far I have not been able to track down much in the way of pastel classes. The search continues!

dlake
01-18-2006, 07:49 PM
Brad, no one thinks you are a jerk. We know your frustration. Here, there is no where to learn pastels. 2 colleges and other places for classes and not one pastel class. I'm lucky to find someone who teaches to every medium. And knows it. I would feel somewhat insulted to be taught like a small child. Even people who take a class for fun, like some of the ladies, are intellegent adults as well and probably wish they were talked to like they are.
Brad, we all need to vent our frustration sometimes and let those feelings out.
Diane