PDA

View Full Version : Essex Sunset 05

hiflier
01-11-2006, 03:01 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/01-11-2006/73512_essex_sunset_05.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Essex Sunset 05
Year Created: 2006
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 50cm x 20cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
After viewing many many wonderful pieces I have finally taken the plunge and submitted one of my own. The piece is meant to be something to ponder and something that stimulates memories of hot sultry summer days. I have a number of pieces similar to this and I am beginning to enjoy this style but Im not sure if it has appeal.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I understand that Abstract work is difficult to comment on, however any thoughts, suggestions, comments would be welcome as I'm a unsure beginner!

Dana Design
01-11-2006, 07:13 PM
Great color and interesting aspect.

I turned it 90 degrees CCW and really loved it!

Nayana
01-11-2006, 07:37 PM
interesting, I'd like to see you go further though. nicely done blending and would make a good decorative piece.

larryv048
01-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Colors and values work.....keep painting!

Corby
01-12-2006, 01:10 AM
My own personal satisfaction with abstract art is to be able to identify. The mind looks for answers to the riddle that abstraction presents. To me a good abstract is one that allows you to answer the riddle. Things of the kind that you have shared with us have an undeniable beauty of form or color, but they do not effectivly present a riddle that can be answered. My initial reaction to this was...'flower fields seen in a blur of quick passing?' 'something to do with Koi?'... but none of these are satisfying because there is not enough information in the painting to support any conclusion one may have. (I realize that my definition of abstraction is probably not in accord with the views of others.)

vhere
01-12-2006, 04:38 AM
my bit of advice would be to look at the intervals, the spacing and pacing of marks and colour and vary them a little more and I agree with Corvus.

hiflier
01-12-2006, 08:30 AM
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply, I appreciate your feedback. Corvus - your comments have made me think about producing abstract work. To date I have produced pieces that interest and please me....and I have not really thought about how other people might perceive or expect and painting to be. I shall give that some consideration going forward. Having said that I have recently produced a different style of abstract which I will post in the abstract forum to see what feedback I get there.

Phil :cool: