PDA

View Full Version : Stick & Stones #5

ChuckL
01-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Hullo Plein Air/Artwork from Life People
...Well I noticed this forum the other day and just loved the variety and work being posted. While I don't do much plein air I do love natural subjects and painting from life in particular. I'm also joining up with a life drawing group this week...something I haven't done in about ten years (yikes) and if I'm not too embarassed by my figures :rolleyes:, this looks like a good spot to show em....Anyway here's a piece I started today, some branches from my backyard. oil/canvas 16x20
...Chuck
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2006/49402-branch5.jpg

JanB
01-11-2006, 01:33 PM
Hi Chuck...welcome this is a new sub-forum and as you've noticed quite a variety of work is posted. I love your nature study!! Great compositional arrangement. I do similar stuff but usually in pen/ink sometimes w/watercolor washes. I've kept a nature journal/sketchbook for a number of years filled with pages of small studies of leaves, seed pods, bird's nests, shells, pebbles, beanches even spider webs ! Hope to see more of your work soon.

James or Jimmy Jim
01-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Chuck, those things can break your bones. :D Nice painting.

I look forward to seeing your figure work. You took a ten-year break from life drawing? You'll be just fine - I took 30 off. :eek:

JamieWG
01-11-2006, 06:18 PM
Chuck, I'm so glad that you found our new subforum here. Love your sticks and stones. The shadows are so nicely transparent and really demonstrate the value of working from life. You'd never see those shadows in a photo, but we all know it's how they really look!

Your work sounds a lot like my own---I'll paint almost anything, so long as I can do it from life! Occasionally working from photos can't be avoided, but it's hard for me to stay awake through that process, ya know? ;) *snore*

I hope you'll stick around and show your work here, including the figures. Figure drawing/painting from life is really hard. I hope that those who work from life will feel comfortable posting their efforts. In this forum, we all understand the difficulties of working straight from the source, and discussion of those issues is an important part of this forum. Welcome aboard.

Jamie

Lorijo
01-11-2006, 07:11 PM
Cool! I like them, I like the lichen on the branches. Lori

Shelley Grund
01-12-2006, 09:31 AM
Beautifully done! A great 3-D quality.
Welcome! Looking forward to more!

Margie L
01-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Great work and very nice shadows.

ChuckL
01-12-2006, 05:29 PM
Thankyou all for your kind comments
...Jan we surely share a love of nature's smaller treasures
....Jim and Jamie... Well my vanity stops me from posting last night's initial figure studies...man was I rusty!! Actually Jamie, in rereading your commentary perhaps I should post some anyway and share my rustiness, I may improve faster with a little help!...
Margie, Shelley, Lori...glad you like the pic...I'll probably show the final edition when I finish over the weekend.
Thanks again folks ...I really like the feel of this (sub) forum:) I guess it's relatively new?
...chuck

James or Jimmy Jim
01-12-2006, 07:06 PM
Actually Jamie, in rereading your commentary perhaps I should post some anyway and share my rustiness, I may improve faster with a little help!...

Do it. Now. :evil: :D :D You should see what I post. :eek:

DLGardner
01-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Your branches are really good. Painting branches is difficult!

Dianne

EFT Studios
01-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Liken' the lichen! That leaf on the bottom right looks like it could be blown off the canvas! Can't wait to see your figures! Try posting in the figure forum too when you get some to show. Tracey