PDA

View Full Version : Color range for Bahamas?

gandoe
01-11-2006, 10:04 AM
Hi all -

Just getting back into my art after a 2 year hiatus (see my intro post in the Welcome forum). I had primarily worked in "soft pastels" (Rembrandt, Sennelier) for life drawing, with the occassional landscape or still life.

I'm off to the Bahamas for a weeks vacation in January, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions about art materials. I've got a relatively full range of supplies - pencils, colored pencils, pen&ink, w/c pencils, charcoals, conte, pastels, watercolors - trying to decide what mediums I should work in. Anyone have any suggestions about color ranges, or medium combinations?

Some of the travel pastel boxes look to be a great weekend project...but I'm wondering about color ranges of pastels...whether to instead with with pastel pencils...papers to bring, etc. This is not an art vacation, so I won't be bringing a lot of materials - have to leave room for the scuba/snorkel gear!

If anyone would like to share their suggestions or travel experiences, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks
Ed

Karen Margulis
01-11-2006, 10:45 AM
Hi Ed,
Welcome! This fall I took a cruise to the eastern Caribbean and I brought some pastel supplies. I made the cigar box pochade that Cori wrote about here and it worked out very well! I also brought a folder with paper, a small foamcore drawing board, a tabletop easel and a pouch with pencils, sketchboook, tape, ect. all of this fit into a backpack. As far as colors...a packed an assortment of my pastels, unisons, great americans and Terry Ludwigs mostly. I used turqouises, blues, purples and peachy colors for the most part. Here is a picture of my set up on my cruise ship balcony. Have fun!!!!
Karen

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2006/53551-cruise_548.jpg

dlake
01-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Bright cheery colors. Like Great American Artworks in lagoon, Navajo, surfangel. Iris, ect. Or any brand you love. Yellows, creams, pinks, bright blues and greens, purples, reds.

HarvestMoon
01-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Have not been there myself- but looks like Karen has a great selection- was going to suggest there are probably a nice range of turquoises in the water...
Linda