PDA

View Full Version : Canvas Board???

marnaws
02-04-2002, 05:55 PM
Water color on Canvas Board
cheap kind from a craft store.
9x11
title Remembrance

I do not know what made me try this but I was curious as to how watercolor would work on canvas board. The paint seemed to slide around and it lifted off way too easily. It was hard to work with and not neccesarily fun. But I did like the results, although not the subject. The colors seemed to retain the translucent qualities.

Has anyone else tried this?

Nancy Lee
02-04-2002, 06:44 PM
Never heard of it before... (I live a very sheltered life,LOL).

Looks like you have some very pretty colors going there. Tell us a little more.... could you now take the paint off and start again? Did you like it enough to maybe try it again? Was it expensive? Did it come in different sizes?

Thanks for sharing.... looks like it was fun.

BCNU,
Nancy

marnaws
02-04-2002, 07:33 PM
The board was incredibly cheap! 3 for about $5 . Compared to arches or strathmore paper you could paint a dozen to one i guess. The board was bought at a Craft store in NY. Called Michael's. I would think any craft store would have it.
And yes, the board comes in different sizes. I started with the smallest, just becuase i did not know how it would go.

You can totaly take off the paint. In fact one of the problems is trying to get the paint to stay on! I had to put on little bits, let it slighty dry and then brush it a bit. If you brush too hard the paint is gone!.

fun if you are doing something with lights i think. But hard to get as much contrast as i wanted.

I did do another one. Because this one was so well recieved. The photo is not great really. but you can tell they are buildings if you were to see the painting.

The second time around i did not wet the board. It was easier to control the paint. at first. but also not as much going on with the translucent element.

G.L. Hoff
02-04-2002, 07:59 PM
Interesting idea...unless it says otherwise, almost all of the canvas boards you get at Michaels (and other stores for that matter) is primed with acrylic "gesso"--that is, an acrylic compound with whiting added--rather than traditional gesso (whiting plus glue) and that stuff is slick, so watercolor doesn't stick to it very well. You can do similar things with hot-press watercolor paper, which I think you can get pretty cheaply in batches, but the paint will stay put. Never tried this with canvas board...might give it a shot, just for fun. Dunno if you can produce something that will last very long, tho...

Regards

marnaws
02-04-2002, 08:11 PM
I think it would last fine if you do not sneeze!

Behind glass? i do not know. guess it shouldn't be in a humid setting.