PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Sketch Thread Jan. 9 - 15

Paula Ford
01-09-2006, 06:36 AM
Hello Artists!

The Weekly Pastel Sketch thread is for ALL pastelists, whether you are using soft or hard pastels, oil pastels, or pastel pencils. This thread is for ALL skill levels.

The idea is to fit some sketching time into your week by completing a sketch in one hour or less. You can sketch anything, whether it be from life or photos.

You can sketch for 5 minutes, or up to an hour, itís up to you. It's a good idea to time your sketch, keeping it within 60 minutes. You know how time flies when youíre creating! So, get your pastels out, set a timer, and when your time is up, please post your sketches here and share your efforts with us!!

We have a wonderful week last week http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316439
Please visit the Image Library to see hundreds of great photos! http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/ (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/)

Have LOTS of fun and I look forward to seeing all of your sketches!!

scall0way
01-09-2006, 01:38 PM
Hurray! I get to start this week! This is from a reference photo I took this fall at a lake in western New Jersey. I really love landscapes, but do have to work harder on those darn trees. This is at just about the one hour mark. It was done on a sheet of light-blue Canson, smooth side, 11x14, primarily NuPastels, but some of the Sennelier stubs in the foliage on the right.

Paula Ford
01-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Debbie, This is lovely! The reflections and the water are wonderful. Beautiful scene!.

JamieWG
01-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Wow, Debbie, you are really fast! Love your landscape.

Pulled this comment from Paula from last week's thread:
Jamie, I wouldn't mind if you posted it here...actually would love to see it.

Paula

You asked for it! :evil:

LOL

5x7, NeocolorII, about 30 minutes or so. It's from this weekend's WDE. I was really tired, but wanted to keep my New Year's Resolution to do some artwork every day....so at 10pm, I climbed into bed with the laptop, Neocolors, Stonehenge pad, brush, and cup of water, and did this off the laptop screen. This was NOT my husband's version of fun in bed. LOL

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jan-2006/13766-Necolor_II_5x7_beach_sunset_450.jpg

Edit to add: WOOHOO! My full set of Mount Visions arrived late last week. I've been working on an oil painting and haven't had time to sort them out and play yet, but hopefully I'll inflict something on y'all from those soon. :D
Jamie

Paula Ford
01-09-2006, 07:56 PM
LOL Jamie!

How pretty!! Now you just have to do this painting with your new Mount Visions! How exciting, isn't it?

Paula

khemosabi2
01-10-2006, 09:43 PM
I normally never post my preliminary sketches but here's one I did for a painting I will be starting soon. This thread is dead this week! So, I wanted to contribute to liven it up a little! Not sure if it took 60 mins or not, probably a little over that. But it is definitely still just a sketch....the actually painting should be better!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jan-2006/70933-Sketch.JPG

~Jessa

Paula Ford
01-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Wonderful sketch Jessa!

When you do the painting, how big is it going to be? How big is this?

Paula

khemosabi2
01-11-2006, 09:06 AM
Paula - Thanks! I do a lot of sketches (since I freehand everything) but I often consider them ugly and unfinished. I'm glad to know they're not that bad. The sketch is about 8 x 10, haven't decided what size for the final painting.

~Jessa

Karen Margulis
01-11-2006, 10:54 AM
Better late than never I guess! I might as well add mine today.
Debbie..I think you did a great job on this. I love the water! so peaceful! I have only been to Southern New Jersey but I love it! So much to paint there...and no one ever believes that it's in New Jersey!

Jamie..I love the colors in this! can't wait to see what you do with your new Mt Visions!

Jessa, great horses! I'll look forward to seeing the bigger version too!

Ok, here's mine...It's a view of Ft Myer's Beach in Florida as seen from my raft. Took about an hour or so. 8x10 on art spectrum.

Karen

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2006/53551-art.jpg

scall0way
01-11-2006, 01:39 PM
Well I like all the pictures. Jamie I like the pic and would love to see it in pastels. Jessa, I always love horses. What size is the sketch? Karen, another scene I would just love to dive right into!

Yes, there is a lot of paintable stuff in New Jersey. Maybe I should do a NJ series. :)

scall0way
01-11-2006, 11:31 PM
Well, I'll try to liven up this thread with another edition. I started my second art class tonight. The model was 'Angel', who is the guy who is posing nude in my Tuesday night class. This instructor seems very nice, and he is a master pastellist with the PSA so should know the medium! He started his class differently from others. He had Angel do some nude poses for us as well, all 5 and 10 minutes poses - so while I'm speedy I'm not *that* speedy, especially with the human figure. :) So I had to rush a bit with those, and then he finally got settled on a pose that Angel will use for class for the four weeks.

It's *not* nude, so I don't need to put the butt icon on this thread, LOL. He is posing as a boxer. But by the time we got to this pose I only had about 35 minutes to work on it, one 20-minute pose and one 15-minute pose, so this is most definitely just a sketch and not worthy of a SPS thread. A bit of a bummer as I never got past the "ugly" phase that all my paintings start out with - but the instructor wants me to get a bigger sheet of paper for next week, and I'll have three weeks to work on my boxer portrait. Wonder if I can really stretch it out that long?

Khadres
01-12-2006, 12:31 AM
Great landscapes, karen and Debbie! Nice horses too, Jessa!

Jamie, I've got some of those Neocolors but haven't done much with them yet. You did really well with them, I think!

Angel is not bad at all for one of your first figure drawings! You're taking note of muscle groups and all that stuff which is very good indeed. I had to laugh as I always do when I see guys these days wearing their pants halfway down their behinds, and I have to wonder what the brown thing is that he looks afraid of, but otherwise this is great! You'll get better and better too, so ENJOY!

Karen Margulis
01-12-2006, 08:22 AM
Debbie,
Angel is looking great. I know you'll do a wonderful job on a larger version! About stretching it out for three weeks....you can do it! I also am known as being a fast painter in my class...and for the last 2 paintings, my teacher has made me slow down...and I can't work on it at home in between classes. I never thought I'd be able to do it...BUT I have! And I find I really don't mind. She feels it will help me give a more polished look to my work. I still do the 'quickies' like the one in this thread, but I know I will be more deliberate on the painting I work on in class. Good Luck and keep us posted!
Karen

scall0way
01-12-2006, 10:04 AM
I have to wonder what the brown thing is that he looks afraid of

What? You mean you don't immediately recognize an old pair of boxing gloves hung on the wall? :eek: LOL

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the three weeks on this pose. With that much time I'll have plenty of time to spend with the initial drawing.

Paula Ford
01-14-2006, 11:53 AM
Karen, I love your landscapes. They are always soft and romantic looking!

Debbie, I honestly think your boxer is terrific! I also knew they were boxing gloves hanging on the wall :p

Paula

Khadres
01-14-2006, 05:09 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh! OK...sorry! Didn't really expect boxing gloves, I guess. Interesting!

johndill01
01-14-2006, 10:14 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2006/50746-newyear06_054.jpg
Painted this last Sunday while chatting, watching VPON. Total time approx 1 hour. This is on black Suede cloth, (from the fabric store), mounted on foamcore, using mostly MV 's, GA's, Nupastels and AS pastels. Image is from the RIL.

John

Khadres
01-14-2006, 10:58 PM
Very vibrant colors...you use the most creative grounds to paint on, too! Cool!

Paula Ford
01-15-2006, 01:25 PM
Hi John...glad you stopped in!

You did that in 1 hour???? WOW

Great colors and subject!

Paula