PDA

View Full Version : Propane torch????????

Talimah
01-08-2006, 10:43 PM
Okay, I have a strange question. This may not be the right place to ask it and through all my searching on this site I have not found a similar question so I am gonna go ahead and show my ignorance. LOL.

My husband bought me the beginners kit with the flameworks torch for Christmas. The torch took forever, I mean forever, to make a bead. So today just out of curiosity, I pulled out my plumbing torch I use for souldering copper. This is just the cheapie you get at Lowes. Anyway, I hooked it up and just made the best bead so far and in half the time. So my question is....Is it alright to use a straight propane torch and what if any are the downfalls? Any help would be great. Thanks,

Julie

medieval bede
01-08-2006, 11:17 PM
Hi Julie,

Yes, we tried that too. The beads got very sooty from the type of flame that the plumber's torch makes. My hothead has a bunch of air inlet holes that helps aleviate(sp?) that problem.

Have fun,
Julia

scupltorgirl
01-08-2006, 11:48 PM
I think that the Flameworks torch may be like the Quiet torch (you can light it by pushing a button?). The Quiet torch was a waste. Then I bought a Hot Head, and was very happy with it.

Sally's beads
01-09-2006, 02:26 AM
I did my research on torches before getting my first kit to just start off with. I went with a hothead torch rather than the flameworks or Quiet torch and happy I did. It works out fine for me for now.
Aloha,
Sally

LisaR
01-10-2006, 02:18 AM
Yes!! I started bead making a couple of years ago with the FireWorks kit and pretty soon the torch got clogged and I did a botch job of cleaning it out, so I tried the propane torch I had gotten at WalMart for $12 (that's for torch head AND first little tank of propane!!). It is still my only torch and, even though it's me saying it, I make pretty fine beads. :) Oh, there are certain things that I can't do with it... I don't think it is possible with my torch, so I haven't really tried to do those beautiful reduction glasses to. (But if anyone can tell me how to do that with a propane torch I'll be forever grateful!) My first beads were sooty and I had some trouble with my turqoises reducing, but I've learned how to avoid all that. Clear casing isn't a problem, either. I've never tried any other torching setup so I don't know what I'm missing, but I just wanted to put in my vote for the cheap propane torch! It is seriously underrated or overlooked, in my opinion.

LisaR in NM.

NYCindy
01-10-2006, 07:44 AM
. So my question is....Is it alright to use a straight propane torch and what if any are the downfalls? Any help would be great.

Hi Julie,

A friend of mine makes beads on a hothead torch using only propane - lovely beads, no soot or any problems with them cracking (she anneals them in a kiln). She had to adjust to the "cooler" flame of propane so there wan't any soot but other than that, there's no problem using the propane.

Cindy