PDA

View Full Version : Certified Framing - What school for that?

prettytulips
01-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Does anyone know where people go to become certified in framing?
I've seen at Aaron Brothers certificates with their employee's names
in there, but I was told they send the employees to get certified.

Does anyone know where I can get this training without being employed
by an art store?

Thanks!
Kelly

PeggyB
01-08-2006, 03:59 PM
Some community colleges offer framing courses in our area. However, most people I know learned from someone else as the average artist has no need for "certification". The professional equipment is very expensive so unless you want to go into business, I suggest finding a community college course and take that one. Sometimes local art supply stores have a vendors' day, and you can see the mat cutter folks demonstrate how to use one. You'll have a choice of types, but be advised that the cheap ones aren't easy to use. You could inquire at a local frame supply business if they know of any certification schools in your area should you want to go that route.

If you are more interested in learning for your own use, I've read there are threads on WC about framing. If you can't find them, let me know and I'll be glad to help you. I worked in a gallery that did framing for 14 years. The owner didn't bother with "certifications", and we had occassion to have to reframe work from some shops - Aaron Brothers being one of them - wherein the so called certified work was from sloppy to just plain bad.

Peggy

Bringer
01-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Hi Kelly,

You may want to check this one :

http://www.masterframing.com/

Regards,

Josť

Kathryn Wilson
01-09-2006, 10:50 AM
You might want to pose this question in the following WC forum - it tends to be more on the technical side than the pastel forum which is more for medium specific questions.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32

bluefish
01-09-2006, 06:26 PM
There are picture framing schools everywhere - I've listed a few below although I agree with Peggy - what are they certifying? - that you paid $500 or more to take the course?, that you didn't fall asleep in class?, know how to cut mat board? Framing is not 'brain surgery' - it's time consuming work but something most individuals can do if they put their mind to it - if you want that 'certification', here are a few schools:

ABC School of Picture Framing.com
pictureframingschool.com
frametutorschool.com(Canada)
framingschool.com
rframe.com(nashville)
westartframing.com

I have no knowledge of any of these - just supplying the info!

Invite us to your graduation party - I love ice cream and cake!