PDA

View Full Version : Week #2 Classical Art Cards

Nickel
01-07-2006, 09:53 PM
We had a really good time in week one’s journey with our Classical Art Cards. It was so nice to meet new friends and travel this classical road together. If you missed week #1 you can still catch-up and post to the week #1 thread. We will be updating the Classical Art Gallery for week #1 soon so you still have a short time to submit your first week work.

Or start right now with week #2. The road calls and we are off on a new journey!

Week #2 begins right now!!!

See you soon!

:) Nickel, Rose, and Barb

mauricar
01-08-2006, 12:19 AM
A study of Woman for his Venus painting. Bottacelli.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2006/71456-000_0436.jpg
If you can't have nudes here I have another one I can submit.

Yeah! I am the first of many. Thanks for the invitation.

Nickel
01-08-2006, 12:49 AM
Hey Midge, Your the first one this week! And a nude too boot! :D I forget to practice safe thread practices, hehe, Barb will cover (pun intended) and add the butta icon! Where is her basket?:D She is a Very nice Venus! I like her rosy cheeks! :wave: Nickel

mauricar
01-08-2006, 08:07 AM
Her hands were too busy to hold a basket (lol). I put a butt on my picture, but I guess that doesn't cover the entire thread.

dex
01-08-2006, 10:32 AM
A study of Woman for his Venus painting. Bottacelli.

If you can't have nudes here I have another one I can submit.

Yeah! I am the first of many. Thanks for the invitation.

Hi Midge:wave:,
First out of the trap!:),congrat's!.nice 1.i'm like Nickel,(too slow!,to catch cold!:evil: ),sorry Nickel,(hope nobody heard that!:D.
dex

Chloe_1
01-08-2006, 11:59 AM
Very nice opening from Boticelli Mauricar..
I like to see the different posting from everyone. Your all doing so well. There is so much creativity from each and everyone of you, and great opportunity to learn from all.
It seems like this is a very popular one. I did the Venus also by Boticelli; but from a slightly different angle. Instead of the Venus coming out from the foam of the water, I depicted her coming out of a lotus flower. It's on Art Card 3.5x2.5 on 140lbs. watercolor paper with ink, watercolor and gouache. My idea with the Venus and lotus flower was to represent the beauty and limitless potential within us.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2006/68155-IMG_0030.JPG:wave:

mauricar
01-08-2006, 12:08 PM
Chloe, this is a really nice one. Mine was the Study of Woman by Bottacelli. He did her before he did the Venus. Same model, different pose.

I like your version of Venus. Very good. I like your colors.

Chloe_1
01-08-2006, 12:19 PM
What size, medium and paper did you use Mauricar?
Thanks for clarifying this Mauricar. My apology:wave:

mauricar
01-08-2006, 01:20 PM
No need to apologize Chloe. My paper is Canson Mi-Teines, size 18x24. It is colored pencil.

AriadneArts
01-08-2006, 02:16 PM
Beautiful piece, Midge. Well done.

Chloe, very interesting interpretation of Boticelli's Venus. Good work.

This is so fun, to see all of the interpretations of these Masters' works.

Here is my Week #2 offering:

The Reverend Robert Walker Skating on Duddingston Pond by Sir Henry Raeburn, Scottish (1784 CE)
Original:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2006/6306-Raeburn-Ice_Skating_Reverend.JPG

My rendition:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2006/6306-Raeburn-Ice_Skating_Reverend_rz.jpg Watercolor pencil 3.5"x2.5"

As you can see, I had lots of trouble getting the back leg and especially the back foot. I'm having a bit of trouble trying to keep to the card size format. I've decided I'll not adhere to it slavishly anymore, but adjust as necessary to the proportions of each individual piece. It's done on Canson Canvapaper and I was going to follow up the watercolor pencil wash with oils, however all the erasing has ruined the ground in that back leg area, so I present it as is--warts and all. :) A great learning experience, in any case.

Chloe_1
01-08-2006, 02:18 PM
Mauricar, a very well done colored pencil piece. I have recently purchased some prismacolor colored pencils. It's another medium , which I enjoy doing once in awhile when the mood arises.:)

Chloe_1
01-08-2006, 02:21 PM
Ariadne, I like your interpretation. He seems more carefree, and happy in your version. He has a nice smile.:wave:

rosebard
01-08-2006, 03:20 PM
Midge, Chloe and Eilleen, lovely interpretation. :)

Nickel
01-08-2006, 03:49 PM
Midge you are cracking me up, she is too busy hold a basket, haha, so true! :)

Hi Dex, what? I didn’t hear that, lol! :D

Chloe_1 I like the Lotus Venus. Very Eastern view of how she would have appeared. I like your version. She has an intent look in her eyes. How very sweet an idea to share that she represents beauty and limitless potential within us; I hope she will see mine.:)

Hi Eileen, boy you, Midge and Chloe are on fire! I like your Reverend Robert Walker skating! It is rather hard to fit an image into a 2.5x3.5 size but you really did a great job, he has got two legs and that is a good thing if your ice skating at Duddingston Pond. Warts are good, that means we are real people doing real art.:D

Hi Rose, where is your landscape going to come from this week? :wave:

Nickel

Chloe_1
01-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Thanks Bard and nickel, looking forward to seeing yours:wave: :)

Chloe_1
01-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Thanks Bard and nickel, looking forward to see yours;-))

AriadneArts
01-08-2006, 04:28 PM
Thanks so much, Chloe, Rose and Nickel, for your kind remarks. :)

mauricar
01-08-2006, 05:25 PM
Did I miss something here? I thought we could do these any size and then reduce them to ACOE size. Did I misunderstand? There is no way I could draw anything on that size that has more than a couple of lines in it. Phew! If I did this wrong, then I am in the wrong group.....DUH. THe smallest I have ever drawn was 4x6. And those hurt my eyes.

rosebard
01-08-2006, 05:38 PM
Did I miss something here? I thought we could do these any size and then reduce them to ACOE size. Did I misunderstand? There is no way I could draw anything on that size that has more than a couple of lines in it. Phew! If I did this wrong, then I am in the wrong group.....DUH. THe smallest I have ever drawn was 4x6. And those hurt my eyes.

Hi Midge, no you are not in the wrong group. :D The ideia in this thread is to explore Classical Art and interpret them on your own media. Size can be from small to big. I think small ideia is to be able to do one a week, but some people can do things in larger size and less time. The Art Card tittle was just to relate the ideia of exploration and interpretation. So, no problem go ahead and continue working as you are. I choose to work on size 4 by 6 and that was a personal choice so I could work on another media like watercolor without commiting to time. Others may be working in small cards by choice because I do remember Nickel saying that size is not fixed really. :) :wave:

mauricar
01-08-2006, 06:43 PM
Phew! I already have three paintings done, and was worried that I can't show them. (lol) Thanks Rose. I appreciate the information.

Laraine
01-08-2006, 08:05 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2006/69328-Emmaus_Original.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2006/69328-04_Emmaus.jpg

Caravaggio, Supper at Emmaus, 1601, 141x196.2 cm, oil and egg tempera on canvas, Natl Gallery London
Copy: ink on paper, rotring artpen, 7"x5"

PushingPixels
01-08-2006, 09:23 PM
Hey Midge, Your the first one this week! And a nude too boot! :D I forget to practice safe thread practices, hehe, Barb will cover (pun intended) and add the butta icon! Where is her basket?:D She is a Very nice Venus! I like her rosy cheeks! :wave: Nickel

Safe thread practices "what a hoot". What lovely pieces everyone is selecting. I'm seeing art I have never seen before! The hard part is choosing which one to do. AriadneArts I like your colors much better.
and Laraine your pen and ink skills are wonderful. should have mine done soon.

tyree
01-08-2006, 09:50 PM
hi everyone, thanks NICKEL, ROSE, AND BARB For a really great thread...midge, A lovely rendition of Botticelli, i too was expecting one of your great baskets!!! CLOE, love the colours and expression of Venus, nicely done!! EILEEN, i was lucky enough to see this painting in Scotland, so this is one of my favorites, youve done a wonderful job on a difficult pose...LARAINE, WOW, GREAT inkwork, excellent job on the face and his right hand!!! tyree:clap: :wave:

mauricar
01-08-2006, 10:32 PM
Loraine - THis piece is just lovely. You have done an excellent job. I admire your work.

PushingPixels
01-08-2006, 11:04 PM
Here is my offering for this week.
Head of the Twelve Year Old Christ c. 1506 by Albrecht DÜRER

Even with a grid I had a time of it with the lips and hair. But it was a valuable learning peice. Can't wait to see the rest throughout the week.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2006/44004-DurerFinal.jpg

Chloe_1
01-08-2006, 11:08 PM
Nice ink work Laraine..
Very nice PushingPixels. Is this in graphite?
Tks. Tyree:wave:

Fish<><
01-08-2006, 11:37 PM
Great work everyone! I wasn't expecting to see Venus till closer to Valentine's day. :D

Laraine-Love the inkwork you've done there as well as the crop!
Pixel-Great job there as well.

Hope I didn't miss anyone. Oh, Midge, my work on this project is 12 x 12. I've come across a lot of scrapbooker stuff that I've being trying to figure something out to do with.

Here's my WIP for week 2. I'm returning to El Greco and studying St. Dominic in Prayer once more this week. Watercolor on cardstock. I hope the warped paper don't show up too bad. I held it off better than I thought.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jan-2006/54332-ElGreco_wk2.jpg

mauricar
01-09-2006, 12:44 AM
Where are you getting your reference photos? These works are just wonderful.

nogenius
01-09-2006, 08:26 AM
Hi folks,

I decided to try this project as a means of increasing my drawing abilities. I do have a large box full of art postcards I bought in museums, so I intend to draw one postcard each week - and draw it ;)
The first one is "Community secretary" after the swiss painter Albert Anker, who painted it in 1875.
Sorry for the bad scan! It's roughly 21x21 cm, pencil on sketching paper.

Bye, Marie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jan-2006/66467-anker_wc.jpg

mauricar
01-09-2006, 09:53 AM
Keith, I looked and looked for El Greco because I like that style. I found one that might be able to paint from the screen.

Marie, this is an intersting piece. It sounds like you have a good collection to work from.

rosebard
01-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Hi Guys, week 2 already!! It was a pleasure last week and I am sure this week will be just as great. :D

Laraine, great work on Supper at Emaus. :clap:

Barbara, Albert Durer have great drawings. Nice one to work on. You did great. :clap:

Keith, what a nice lovely start. It has such a nice 3D. :clap:

Margie, this is a new painter for me. Cool drawing. :clap:

Havent decided yet which landscaper to work on. Still need to do my review on Constable. I think I willhave a tough week ahead of me. Wish me luck. :)

:wave:

Laraine
01-09-2006, 11:45 AM
Chloe, Midge, Tyree, Keith, Rose (hope I didn't miss anyone) -- thank you very much for commenting on my work. The rotring ink pen is fun to work with because it doesn't require dipping. It uses cartridges.

AriadneArts
01-09-2006, 12:34 PM
Midge: Sorry for the misunderstanding. As I've done quite a few miniatures in egg tempera, I had chosen to try them all in the playing card size. However, my miniatures are all landscapes save for one portrait (just head and shoulders). While they are smaller than playing card size, I don't have a problem with landscapes. However, when it comes to the human figure, I'm finding it difficult to fit it into that size format.

Laraine: Beautiful job with the Caravaggio in ink. I have Rotrings also, and I like them very much. No muss, no fuss. LOL.

Pushing: Wonderful job on the Durer portrait! Grids are so tedious, aren't they?, but necessary, at times.

Keith: The El Greco is still stunning!

Marie: Nice study of the Ankar, although I do not know that painter. I will look him up.

Pushing Pixels and Susan (Tyree): Thanks for your kind comments on my Raeburn study. Susan, how fortunate to have seen the original! I love this painting--it is so tongue-in-cheek, a quality I'm afraid I failed to capture.... It was great fun doing it, though, and I might even give it another try a little larger.

dex
01-09-2006, 12:39 PM
CHLOE........wowow!! DAZZLING!,love the colour's

EILEEN........he looks full of confidence!,nice work,well done,love it way it is!

mauricar
01-09-2006, 01:34 PM
Barbara, I like your piece. It is really quite good. Sometimes I also work from a grid.

Chloe_1
01-09-2006, 03:51 PM
Very nice Fisher.. Good sketch nogenius.. Tks Dex ;-))
Keep up the good work:wave:

Nickel
01-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Hi Midge, any size you want to do is ok! Like Rose says, you are in the right group! Three paintings already done! Your doing great! I do not want to miss one of them!

Try this link to see paintings by El Greco. It is google images
http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&q=%22El+Greco%22&spell=1

Hi Laraine, I love Caravaggio’s work. You do a really good job with your rotring artpen. What happens when you make a mistake with your line? Is there a way to fix or do you have to be dead on right when you touch ink to paper? I admire your drawings.

Hi PushingPixels, wow, your doing great with your pixels!!! It is really hard to pick and chose which art to do and with such a vast assortment of art, well we could do this for ten years easy. Albrecht Dürer is a wonderful artist to study. Oh, glad you like my humorous persona. I try to be a happy girl.

Keith wonderful El Greco. Your work makes me like him even more. What color are you using for your blue sky? It is beautiful!

Hi Tyree, are you Scottish? I’ve never met anyone at WC that was Scottish.

Hi Marie, Glad you have joined us! It is nice to meet you! Albert Anker is new to me too! I really like this “Community secretary” and your pencil sketch. It is a very good idea to use this activity to enhance drawing skills. I look forward to seeing you here each week you can join us. I am going to have to checkout your blog, it sounds fascinating.

Eileen, I finally remembered who your painting reminded me of, it is Stanley Holloway, the father of Eliza Doolittle in the movie “My Fair Lady.”

rosebard
01-09-2006, 07:32 PM
I better hurry to decide on my next landscaper. I have being so inspired by this project that finally I work on my first landscape oil painting after Constable. Here is the link if anyone like to check out:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318266

tyree
01-09-2006, 07:52 PM
everyone Is picking such great and interesting subjects....PUSHINGPIXELS..a very soft delicate rendition, great expression...KEITH,,What a wonderful job on the face and hands, great watercolour...MARIE,, Ive not heard of this artist, terrific pencil work...Tyree

tyree
01-09-2006, 08:04 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jan-2006/65063-jld2.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jan-2006/65063-jld1.jpg graphite on stonehenge, atc size,,,JACQUES LOUIS DAVID MADAME RECAMIER...1748-1825..A neoclassical painter.... tyree

rosebard
01-09-2006, 09:25 PM
graphite on stonehenge, atc size,,,JACQUES LOUIS DAVID MADAME RECAMIER...1748-1825..A neoclassical painter.... tyree

Isnt Jacques Loouis David a cool artist Susan? Glad you brought him into our journey. A cool drawing you have there! :) :wave:

Fish<><
01-09-2006, 10:35 PM
Keith, I looked and looked for El Greco because I like that style. I found one that might be able to paint from the screen.

I found a huge book cataloging his work at the library. It was titled "El Greco" (how original):D . I plan on doing a couple more of his over the next couple of weeks so the city of Lebanon Library won't have it.

Try this link to ArtCyclopedia (http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/greco_el.html).

Gook luck and I look forward to what you come up with!

Fish<><
01-09-2006, 10:42 PM
Nickel - I haven't quite decided about the sky yet. El Greco did (I believe) 3 paintings of this particular subject and I have references to 2 of themright now. One sky is very blue while the other is almost black. Right now, I am leaning to the darker of the two but have set it aside for a day or two to let it decide for me. :)

Tyree - I really like your drawing. Great work!

Chloe_1
01-09-2006, 11:00 PM
Nice sketch Tyree;-)))

S.McPherson
01-09-2006, 11:27 PM
I am going to post wk 2 here,as I posted it in week 1 by mistake. This is from the artist Cimabue,(I did him last wk). He painted the Madonna and this is a rendition of a portion of that. These painting were known as alterpieces and stood over 12 ft tall. Mary points to Jesus to show his importance. Jesus holds up his hand in a gesture of blessing. My reference picture is fuzzy but, I think you can get the idea. Thanks for looking:wave: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jan-2006/65215-100_0163.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jan-2006/65215-100_0173.JPG

PushingPixels
01-10-2006, 12:18 AM
[QUOTE=Chloe_1]
Very nice PushingPixels. Is this in graphite?
QUOTE]
The pencil sketch (center) was a preliminary sketch 4 x 5 in using a plain old no.2 pencil. (I know not very artsy but it was practice)

I thought I would explain my working methods for those interested...
I took the original picture (Duer) into photoshop and layed a grid over the original. I layed the same grid over a background color (almost slate blue).
Using blue slate with a grid I layed in the outlines and blocked in some lighter color, switching back and forth by tuning the grid layer on and off for reference. I use a grid as a way of training my eye to copy what it sees. As I become more experienced I may abandon it.

Digital work is much more forgiving than traditional media because you have the eraser tool which I often use as a subtractive tool brush. I draw on the layer above the background and when satisfied with my progress I merge it with the background. Another advantage is the ability to zoom in and out of the image as you work.

I love to work in all types of media but for now I'm in the digital mode. I hope to switch to oils and am very impressed with the quality of work I am seeing here. All of the works are unique and have a distinctive style.

Some say digital art is not as desirable because it is not tactile in a physical sense, but it does require the same types of skills used in different ways.

mauricar
01-10-2006, 12:24 AM
Thanks everyone for the reference points. They have some good pieces to work from. I like the drawing that are being done. This forum has been teaching me a lot. I did a piece (week 3) and a lady that is a former client came by and asked if she could have it. I told her it was a study piece, and she wanted it anyway. Also a man purchased my Venus. This could be a very productive classroom for me. Not only am I learning, but I am also doing work that people seem to like. Phew! I must not be too bad. If they see your work I am in trouble. Guess I need to keep them off the computer (lol).

Jolanta
01-10-2006, 12:29 AM
Hi - I want to play:D I see some nice copies here. I have one I did today I want to show you. After Antoine Watteau "Seated Pierrot" done on blue paper with dark purple,red and white pastel pencils.
Jolanta

mauricar
01-10-2006, 12:31 AM
Very nice. What size is it?

PushingPixels
01-10-2006, 12:52 AM
Jolanta - that's a beautiful piece, where did you get your inspiration?
tyree - your girl is so sensitive - Jacques Luis David is so amazing. I saw his work in the Getty Museum in LA and was in awe. Still am.
Keith your El-Greco is stunning (Is it Oil?) very powerful
Marie - great sketch... who is this artist? You have a way of capturing the character. Man I am learning so much from all of you.
Susan - I love the color and contrast on your Madonna, have you ever noticed how MANY Madonna's there are. You could fill up 52 weeks easy.

I know I'm probably missing someone, the highlight of my day is to come home and see all the new and wonderful pieces on this forum and maybe find unexplored treasure never seen before.
thanks to all. barb

Fleur
01-10-2006, 06:34 AM
I can't believe what's been happening since I last came by here!!! Heavens! Everyone has been really really busy and produced the most wonderful art. I haven't had time to read through all this properly and am going to save it for when I get back from work this afternoon, and sit with my laptop and a cuppa and indulge!!!:D
But in the meantime here's my very pathetic effort, and I can tell you I'm feeling mega frustrated with it. I know it's not right. I've struggled with the eyes and the nose and the mouth.. in fact I've struggled with the whole damn thing. I plan to either adjust or redo.... don't know yet. It's from Waterhouse's study for Hylas and the Nymphs. I cropped the original which has 2 portraits, but am uploading the crop and my version, in graphite on stonehenge, 5" x 7".http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jan-2006/7988-waterhouse_hylas_and_the_nymphs_study02crop.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jan-2006/7988-waterhousestudy.jpg

mauricar
01-10-2006, 09:58 AM
Eileen - I am sorry that I almost missed you. The skater is very nice.
Tyree- I love the portrait. Good job.
Sandra - I almost did that piece myself. I saw it and then found another one for week 4
Fleur - I think if you adjust the shadow on her right eye (our left) you will feel better about her. You also might want to thicken her eyebrows. Even without it, it is looking very good. Portraits are not the easiest thing in the world.

Lots of good work this week.

tyree
01-10-2006, 12:04 PM
THANKS ALL for lovely comments, after i posted it i wanted to redo some things and repost, but i wasnt sure if we could do that!!! SANDY,,Lovely Madonna, very inspiring,,,JOLANTA, WOW, stunning simple colour and great pencilwork, thanks for joining us!! FLEUR, dont be so hard on yourself, its a very lovely, sensitive portrait, good job!!! tyree:wave:

Chloe_1
01-10-2006, 06:12 PM
JOLANTA ~Very nice painting~
FLeur~Nice Sketch~

Nickel
01-10-2006, 07:00 PM
Hi Folks, just wanted you to know the Classical Art Gallery is updated.

Your works are soooooooo beautiful and a joy to the eyes!

I hope you will enjoy looking as much as I have; it is a delightful journey we have traveled together so far!

Nickel

rosebard
01-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Hi Again Sandy. Nice review on the subject. Did good job, especially in the colors. I like them a lot. :)

Hi barb, nice explanation of how you work in digital. I agree it takes skill to do it just the same as other media. Thanks for the nice note, I did send you reply, did you get it?

Midge, I enjoyed reading your post about having to hide the computer from your potential clients. LOLOL Nice to see you being able to sell them. You are definetely not bad, you doing great!! :)

Hi Jolanta, great to see you joining us. That is lovely drawing. I am getting to know so many new artists. It is so cool. :)

Fleur, not pathetic at all. Portraits are not easy. Ask me, I know how hard I have being studying it for about an year now. Good go on it. If you have the time and willing to do it, redo it and enjoy. :)

Hi Nickel, thanks for updating the gallery for us. We sure have wonderfull stuff to see there. :)

Chloe_1
01-10-2006, 08:58 PM
Hi Folks, just wanted you to know the Classical Art Gallery is updated.

Your works are soooooooo beautiful and a joy to the eyes!

I hope you will enjoy looking as much as I have; it is a delightful journey we have traveled together so far!

Nickel

It is amazing what everyone has done in such a short time. At the end of the year we will surely have a feast for the eyes and senses, by all the great artists participating in this event.:wave: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Chloe_1
01-10-2006, 10:47 PM
Nice soft touch to your sketch Fleur:wave:
Love the lips:)

AriadneArts
01-11-2006, 08:21 AM
Fleur: Your Waterhouse study is just lovely.
Jolanta: Your seated Pierrot is wonderful.
Sandy: Good job on the Cimabue Madonna
Barb: Thanks for giving us your workflow. I have a Wacom, which I use occasionally to touch up photos. Drawing with it certainly does involve the same skills as traditional drawing. Drawing is drawing, period.
Midge: Congrats on your sales and thanks for the nice comments on my piece.

obxladybear
01-11-2006, 03:46 PM
My week #2 card:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2006/30099-week-2sm.JPG

I am finding that doing in such a small size, my details leave something to be desired...:) may try the next one in a slightly larger size....

I am so glad I decided to join in, because I was getting too busy with life and not spending any time with my artwork...this gives me incentive to at least do one a week.....I am sure it will get me out of my slump...:D

And I am enjoying everyone's work here....you are all doing such a great job at this....:clap:

rosebard
01-11-2006, 05:03 PM
My week #2 card:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2006/30099-week-2sm.JPG

Charlene, what lovely colors. I like how you presented your the reference and your artwork. Very nice presentation. :wave: :D

Chloe_1
01-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Very nice attempt obxladybear:cat: :wave:

Nickel
01-11-2006, 06:16 PM
All I want to know is why do I feel like a wet cat left out in the cold?

Hey, caught a head cold, somebody needs to keep the window up, must be them polar bears need to stay cold.:D

I'll be back to review everyones work. It is so lovely and want to give you all my best.

Nickel:wave:

tyree
01-11-2006, 06:21 PM
Charlene, I agree a very nice painting and presentation...Hi Nickel!!!!:clap:

Nickel
01-11-2006, 06:39 PM
Charlene, I agree a very nice painting and presentation...Hi Nickel!!!!:clap:

Hey Tyree! :wave: I can't stay away. This is just a wonderful journey.

Yep Charlene, I like the blue, it makes your painting seem icy cold just the way it should. Burr! And those big hunky polar bears, seem tame, but are they really? :D I like your painting. :wave:

Fish<><
01-11-2006, 07:16 PM
Jolanta -WOW! Beautiful work.
Fleur -Pathetic?!?!? No way. Great sketch! I really like it.
Charlene -I am not familiar with Dulac, but I really like what you've done.
Hope I didn't miss anyone. Great work everyone!

Back to mine now. Gonna try to finish off the background at least tonite. Maybe go for the whole thing.

Nickel -Hope you feel better! :) Get you a nice hot cup o' java so you can warm up!

Nickel
01-11-2006, 07:23 PM
Hi Tyree, I think your drawing of Madame Recamier is strong. I like how you did her hair for sure, nice ringlets, and I think the eyes are good. She has a distinct look that she is gazing at something.

Keith I would love to know if you find anything about his palette during your research. I wonder which sky blue you chose, dark or light?

Hi Sandy, glad you found us! I like your discussion on Mary and Jesus and the importance of what the hand gesture means. Very interesting! Lovely card, it is very nicely painted.

I’ll be back in a short while Nickel

Nickel
01-11-2006, 10:18 PM
Hi PushingPixels, it is really interesting to see digital work for me. I think you are right in it requires the same set of traditional artistic skills plus a few technological ones as well. Every art is as unique as its' artist is its own individual. This is what is making our journey so very interesting and informative. Your Duer girl is beautiful and well executed. I like how you have given her depth with the shadows and light.

Way to go Midge! Bravo! Financial rewards are always a good thing.

Jolanta glad you have joined us!!! Your “Seated Pierrot” is striking and proud! I’d like to know more about him. What is he looking at?

Hi Fleur, what an amazing and difficult pose to capture! You done a great job! I know the feeling of fighting the image. I think you won the battle!

Thanks Keith for the good wishes. Good luck tonight with your background!

I think I must move from the North Pole to a warmer location, Rose, move over, Brazil is warm now! I need a tan; And some cookies.

Fish<><
01-11-2006, 10:48 PM
Ok, I went with the lighter of the blues. Didn't really get the full effect that I was hoping for in the sky so I might mess with that a little more later, but on the whole I like how it came out.

Nickel -I haven;t found too much yet about the pallete he used, but I am still reading through a very large book so I will keep you posted. :) I think my project next week will be View of Toledo so I'll see if I can dig something up for you by then.

El Greco's St. Dominic in Prayer, 12x12, watercolor on cardstock

Chloe_1
01-11-2006, 11:17 PM
FISH>>There is so much feeling in your painting. Lovely;-))

rosebard
01-12-2006, 04:47 PM
Keith it looks awesome. :) Really nice job done on it! :)

Nickel come to Brazil. I can imagine how much more fun we can have if we meet!

PushingPixels
01-12-2006, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by obxladybear
My week #2 card: Edmond Dulac

You happened to pick one of my favorite illustrators for childrens literature.
here is a link to learn more http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/research/fa/dulac.html

He was influenced heavily by the Art Nouveau movement and his work reflects that influence.

Great rendition from a great illustrator!
barb

Nickel
01-13-2006, 12:07 PM
‘Mary Magdalene’ painted 1576-78 by El Greco (1541 -1614).
Head Crop

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2006/39040-Image057.jpg

Nickel
01-13-2006, 12:10 PM
Here is the painting :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jan-2006/39040-magdal_el_greco.jpg

rosebard
01-13-2006, 06:51 PM
Head Crop

Another El greco. He has such strong paintings. Very nice Nickel. Did you do an underpainting or did you paint directly? :)

Chloe_1
01-13-2006, 06:52 PM
What medium and size nickel?
Love the vibrant red against the background with hints of green, and the expression is wonderful;-))

tyree
01-13-2006, 07:10 PM
NICKEL, OH MY, Very soulful, great great expression, a very well done, especially those eyes!!!!! Tyree:wave: :clap: :wave: :clap:

PushingPixels
01-13-2006, 11:42 PM
I like, I like it alot! She is very moving, such soulful eyes. Good Job.
Do you REALLY live at the North Pole? What's it like? he he
Head Crop

Nickel
01-14-2006, 01:30 PM
Hi Keith, Did you do any adjusting to the blue sky? I like it so very much like it is and I understand what you are talking about effect so I am waiting to see what you do, if you do something! Your effect is very serene! I can’t wait to see the View of Toledo too!

Hi Rose, thanks and I agree El Greco deserves some study as he has powerful statements in his paintings. To answer your question, did I do an underpainting or paint directly; yes it has an underpainting.

Hi Chloe, thanks for the review, it is oil and about 9.3x 11.5 inches or there about in size. I am glad you liked the background. I really liked this painting. When I study his painting I was not sure of her eye color or hair. So I had to make some choices to make her express the passion I saw in El Greco’s painting.

Hi Tyree, thanks, I am happy you found her soulful. Makes me feel very good!

Hi PushingPixels, I am happy you found her eye’s soulful too! Lol, No I don’t really live at the North Pole, just in this cyber world I felt like I could live anyplace I wanted, it is very inexpensive to move around. It is about time for me to change and become a cupid living in a fairy tale, shooting arrows to make love flourish where none lived before.

I am off to start week three's thread a little early today, so keep posting here or if you are ready show us what you've got to share over there! It's been fun!!!!:D

Nehalenia
01-14-2006, 02:24 PM
(pant, pant, latecomer rushing in) Hello everybody!

I've had a few busy days and had no time to drop by. It's a pleasure to see so many new art cards. :clap::clap::clap: for everyone.

I had a plan for this week... my theme is portraits and I wanted to do a fruit portrait after Arcimboldo, with a hi-tech digital twist...in 3D, or at least part of it. It proved more than I could handle in one week. The modelling in 3d (the digital equivalent of sculpting/clay-modelling), takes a lot of time and I had nearly given up, when I came across a free model, (credits: 3dcafe and Daniel Wade.)

A 3d model is not a picture. It truely is (virtual) 3 dimensional and to get a picture of it, you have to take one with a (virtual) camera and add (virtual) lights. It's just as dark in the virtual world and without light the picture is just black.

So that is what I did: I positioned the model in a pleasing arrangement, added two lights and took a "snapshot" with my virtual camera. What you get is something that looks very much like a grisaille, like this:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2006/67591-grisaille.jpg

Next, I painted transparent colored layers with Paintshop Pro, much like glazings.

This is the end result, not a portrait after any classical painter, but still in classical style. Hopefully, I can do the Arcimboldo next week.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2006/67591-fruitbowlfinished.jpg

Margie

rosebard
01-14-2006, 06:59 PM
Margie, very interesting approach. It does looks so classical. Really lovely painting!! :)

Nickel
01-14-2006, 07:05 PM
Margie, this is all new to me! So is the finish image in real life is it more like a sculpture or like a 3d painting? I guess I am trying to figure out if the finish product is something you can actually touch, or do you have to view it virtually? Your fruit still life looks very nice and I love the 3d effect. Do you actually get to use sculptor tools in your program? This is a really cool concept your using and it would be nice to see you do a wip for the main classical forum when you get some spare time. This is some ride we are having on this trip. Very interesting! :wave: Nickel

PushingPixels
01-14-2006, 09:23 PM
(pant, pant, latecomer rushing in) Hello everybody!
A 3d model is not a picture. It truely is (virtual) 3 dimensional and to get a picture of it, you have to take one with a (virtual) camera and add (virtual) lights. It's just as dark in the virtual world and without light the picture is just black.
Margie

I Margie and welcome. A 3D model is as much a picture as any. I work in 3D as well but not at home (at work) and it can be quite demanding. I have been toying with doing a still life that way. For now I have enough on my plate... that's a pun on your picture - get it.
barb

Margie you might also check out Digital Art Forum... here is a post I put in that forum that was done all 3D.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313091

Link to 3D art Galery for those you want to look:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=5666151&linkID=5572501

Nickel
01-14-2006, 10:22 PM
Hey Barbara, it would be great for you to do a wip in the classical forum too of your working methods. I looked at your thread in the DAF and it is cool! :D

Everyone is welcome to do wips for sure of your working methods. That's how we learn. :wave: You all are the best!
Nickel

Nehalenia
01-15-2006, 08:33 AM
Rose: Thank you for the kind comments! :)

Nickel: To answer you questions:

So is the finish image in real life is it more like a sculpture or like a 3d painting?

Neither, the finished image is flat 2D. The model itself is only 3d in computer memory. With the 3d program, you can view it from all angles and change its shape. Doing a WIP is a great idea to show that! It's not easy to explain it in words.

Do you actually get to use sculptor tools in your program?
I wish! And many modellers with me, I guess. There have been quite a few attempts to make 3D more user friendly and intuitive by providing sculpting tools. Some programs are really very close to that. (ZBrush), but most do not have those kind of tools.

Barbara: Great to have another 3d modeller here. To be honest, I have already seen your WIP and was excited because that was the first 3d work I saw on WC! Are you still working on it? I hope so, it looks very promising.

AriadneArts
01-15-2006, 10:45 AM
Charlene, very nice piece. I, too, am unfamiliar with Dulac, but I will be checking him out.

Nickel, fabulous Mary Magdalene. Arresting expression--very powerful.

Margie, lovely piece and thanks for the work flow description. Very interesting.

PushingPixels
01-15-2006, 10:53 AM
Rose: Thank you for the kind comments! :)
Nickel: Barbara: Great to have another 3d modeller here. To be honest, I have already seen your WIP and was excited because that was the first 3d work I saw on WC! Are you still working on it? I hope so, it looks very promising.

No, I have not finished it yet, but it is waiting when I am ready. A WIP for 3D work Nickell? That would probably be best suited for the DAF.

Unfortuanately it isn't easy to explain. For instance the water is made by constructing a 3D form all done with a set of points and connecting lines in 3D space (X, Y, Z) locations (MATH). the color and "illusion" of water is done by "proceedural maps" which are settings the computer applies to that particular form. Screen shots can be done but all you see in progress are the wireframe forum and the values placed into the program interface. (boring).

You can (render) or make progress pictures and a 3D artist does this all thru the process. For those interested here is a tutorial on the web that sums up the process visually. A creature but a well done creature. This project could take up to 2 weeks or more and I read that the final render was over 8 hours. Whew!http://www.the123d.com/tutorial/3dsmax6/cthulhu01.shtml

rosebard
01-15-2006, 12:25 PM
I just found some interesting info about watercolors being used for classical art, I posted a new thread, I thought some here would be interested. Here is the link:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319556

Fish<><
01-15-2006, 10:13 PM
Nickel - Simply Beautiful! Not that I am bias toward El Greco :) Oh, and by the way, the more I looked at the sky the less I wanted to touch it. I decided to leave it be. Not what I originally was looking for but still looking good. I got a jump on the landscape for next week, but my kids killed the camera again. I should have that up tomorrow.

Margie - That looks good enough to eat. I am more comfortable on paper myself but I am amazed with what you can do with these machines.

artmom
01-16-2006, 02:08 AM
Mea culpa. No post from me before my self-imposed Saturday midnight deadline. Got a 5 x 7 inch painting drawn out and planned to paint it on Saturday (I work best with a deadline).

Awakened in quite a bit of arthritic pain and couldn't paint--then DH ended up in emergency room and I stressed out big time. He's okay, just a new "disease" to manage!

I will complete the painting and post it in this thread.

Wonderful to see the choice of references and the different styles! Well done. :D

Lyn

Nickel
01-16-2006, 03:59 PM
Lyn, hi, I hope everything is back to normal soon for you and hubby! I have had my four apps of aspercreme already today. Grrr, I know the pain! Look forward to seeing your painting !

Thanks Keith for looking at my El Greco! Glad you liked her! Glad you left the sky be. It looks good!

Rose, thanks, good info on that watercolor link! They have good articles! And paint!

Thanks Barbara for the explanation on 3-d. You are right a wip would be better in DAF. If you do one, give us a link to it please so we can pop over and see it!

Thanks Eileen for looking at my painting! I always try to give my best! Glad you liked her!

Margie thanks for explaining how the 3-d is in real life. Like I said, it is all new tech to me. Very interesting to get an understanding of how it works!

I am enjoying our journey together very much!

:) Nickel

dex
01-17-2006, 01:17 PM
Hi Nickel,sorry i'm late:(,not only been doodling ,looks like i'm dawdling as well!:evil:),here's my 45min (WIP) Albrecht Drurer attempt!,update later,Ihope,(if I can find thread again).
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2006/69694-DRURER.jpg (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php#)
dex

Nickel
01-17-2006, 09:30 PM
Hi Nickel,sorry i'm late:(,not only been doodling ,looks like i'm dawdling as well!:evil:),here's my 45min (WIP) Albrecht Drurer attempt!,update later,Ihope,(if I can find thread again).
dex

Did you get lost? :D No need to be sorry about time. Your cool! I was so ready to come hunt for you cept I've been having a few difficulties myself, dawdling when I go by the cookie jar is sometimes one of them :D Congrats on finding a Durer, your drawing is most enchanting!

:) Nickel

artmom
01-23-2006, 03:12 AM
DH Ed is feeling a bit better, finally! So, I will try to finish my Week 2 painting and post it tomorrow. :)

I'll also look at the posts in the thread. It's 3 a.m. here right now, and my eyes are blurring.

Lyn

Nickel
01-23-2006, 10:17 PM
DH Ed is feeling a bit better, finally! So, I will try to finish my Week 2 painting and post it tomorrow. :)

I'll also look at the posts in the thread. It's 3 a.m. here right now, and my eyes are blurring.

Lyn

Good to hear from you Lyn!!! Blurry eyes and painting don't go together:p
Hope you rested, and glad your DH is feeling better! Will look forward to your post! :wave: Nickel

rosebard
01-24-2006, 12:09 PM
Lyn good to hear about your DH. I hope you feel more rested today. :)

artmom
02-03-2006, 12:56 PM
Better late than never--I reckon! :) DH Ed went out of town and I recovered from the last few weeks.

I found several versions of this painting online, so I won't post any. Just Google John Constable's Stonehenge.

Here is my version of John Constable's Stonehenge:

This is from the 1835 version--his was oil

4 x 6 inch watercolor Arches Rough

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Feb-2006/11722-Stonehenge--Constable--Finished.jpg

Lyn

rosebard
02-03-2006, 05:39 PM
Better late than never--I reckon! :) DH Ed went out of town and I recovered from the last few weeks.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Feb-2006/11722-Stonehenge--Constable--Finished.jpg

Lyn

How nice to see you being able to catch up with the journey!! Glad to hear you and hubby are doing better. :)

I havent seeing this one from Constable, I should search sometime. Nice rendition yours. :)

artmom
02-03-2006, 08:49 PM
Thanks, Bard!

Lyn

Nickel
02-04-2006, 10:16 PM
Lyn your painting is beautiful!!!!

I love the light and the colors! Let's face it Stonehenge is magical and so is your painting! Well done!!! So glad to know everything is good for you! Keep painting!!!

:wave: Nickel

artmom
02-05-2006, 08:37 AM
Thanks, Nickel! Particularly thanks for starting this project. It is helping me get back into painting after a very long "creative pause!"

Everyone's work is so interesting. :)

Lyn